Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian
jheu02's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,186
Focus on Focal Length

Yeah, crummy title, but an idea I have for a December game/challenge. It's inspiration is the Single in September/November challenges but is not limited to just one lens, rather one focal length. Any lens capable of the chosen focal length, be it prime or zoom, is allowed. I'm planning on using the 50-55mm length as I have a bunch of 50s and an SMC-K 55/1.8 I want to compare in a quasi-scientific method (not planning on identical setups for each lens). Any interest in joining with either this focal length or another of your choosing based on your lens bag?

11-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian
bbluesman's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,615
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Yeah, crummy title, but an idea I have for a December game/challenge. It's inspiration is the Single in September/November challenges but is not limited to just one lens, rather one focal length. Any lens capable of the chosen focal length, be it prime or zoom, is allowed. I'm planning on using the 50-55mm length as I have a bunch of 50s and an SMC-K 55/1.8 I want to compare in a quasi-scientific method (not planning on identical setups for each lens). Any interest in joining with either this focal length or another of your choosing based on your lens bag?
Same 1 a day thingie or??
11-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian
jheu02's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,186
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Same 1 a day thingie or??

Not really. I have 6 or 7 50mm primes that I want to compare. Plus, a couple zooms also cover 50mm. So, whereas Single in Sep/Nov you were "stuck" with just one lens, now you can use all your lenses that will shoot the focal length, i.e. SMC-A 50/1.4, kit lens set at 50mm, Auto Chinon 50/1.7, Promaster 28-200 set at 50mm... Of course, someone may choose 28mm or whatever, because they have several lenses at that focal length they've been meaning to compare, but haven't had the motivation of a daily shoot to do so.

It also wouldn't have to be just one shot. Some may want to do a very strict comparison (same subject, lighting, f-stop, shutter...) to really see lens differences, and thus may want to post the results together on the same day. I may do that to a degree, but it could also get a little tedious looking at 7 identical shots, only difference being the lens used.
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian
bbluesman's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,615
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Not really. I have 6 or 7 50mm primes that I want to compare. Plus, a couple zooms also cover 50mm. So, whereas Single in Sep/Nov you were "stuck" with just one lens, now you can use all your lenses that will shoot the focal length, i.e. SMC-A 50/1.4, kit lens set at 50mm, Auto Chinon 50/1.7, Promaster 28-200 set at 50mm... Of course, someone may choose 28mm or whatever, because they have several lenses at that focal length they've been meaning to compare, but haven't had the motivation of a daily shoot to do so.

It also wouldn't have to be just one shot. Some may want to do a very strict comparison (same subject, lighting, f-stop, shutter...) to really see lens differences, and thus may want to post the results together on the same day. I may do that to a degree, but it could also get a little tedious looking at 7 identical shots, only difference being the lens used.
Sounds interesting. I have 4 lenses that can produce 50mm focal length.

11-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 626
This sounds interesting as I also have several lenses in the 50 - 55 length.
Count me in.
11-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
ASa
Senior Member
ASa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tampere/Helsinki
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 218
I could make my entry for the community through this Going to go for the 50mm with three lenses..
11-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jheu02's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,186
Original Poster
Great to see some more interest. Just as a reminder, you don't have to use 50mm lenses if you have a different focal length you want to really explore via different lenses, but it could be interesting if everyone is using the same focal length to see how we use and interpret the world through it.

EDIT: Anyone have a better title to name the Album for easy searching (ala Single in September/November)
11-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian
jheu02's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,186
Original Poster
Let The Challenge Begin

So, any who are interested create an album titled Focus on Focal Length where you'll post your photos. Perhaps add what focal length you chose and which lenses you intend to use for the challenge. Here's why I chose 50/55mm for my focal length (still not sure if I'll use the zooms):

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
ASa
Senior Member
ASa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tampere/Helsinki
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 218
Seems like you have a serious obsession for that particular focal length Just a heads up that I'll be very busy through the weekend and even in places where I can't upload any pics, but I'll be sure to shoot one each day and post them as soon as I possibly can.

Edit: I'm having troubles with the album, I created it, but can't seem to be able to add any pics in there. Also when I go to Edit Albums it just shows me albums from member named asa14.. If I can't get it solved, I guess I'll post the pics to flickr and put a link in here.

Last edited by ASa; 11-30-2010 at 03:03 PM.
11-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian
jheu02's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,186
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa- Quote
Seems like you have a serious obsession for that particular focal length
Post when you can...that's fine. Most came with camera bodies attached. One of my motives for doing this is to decide which I really want to keep, and which I can let go to a new home.

Not sure about the album problem. From your user panel, clicking on edit albums should only take you to your albums, noone else's.
12-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian
jheu02's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,186
Original Poster
And...They're Off

Re-uploaded my first shot since there's been server migration here. Here's one that didn't go into the album:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
length, lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focus distance / focal length chadci Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-31-2010 09:12 AM
Out of Focus Highlight Demo (Focal Length & Aperture) arpaagent Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 01-08-2010 07:56 PM
focus with zoom, then change focal length? WMBP Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 08-08-2009 10:25 AM
DA★ 60-250mm Focal length and focus observation kcmadr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 05-13-2009 12:51 PM
Auto focus, aperture and focal length xandy Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 12-07-2007 08:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top