Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus on Focal Length

Yeah, crummy title, but an idea I have for a December game/challenge. It's inspiration is the Single in September/November challenges but is not limited to just one lens, rather one focal length. Any lens capable of the chosen focal length, be it prime or zoom, is allowed. I'm planning on using the 50-55mm length as I have a bunch of 50s and an SMC-K 55/1.8 I want to compare in a quasi-scientific method (not planning on identical setups for each lens). Any interest in joining with either this focal length or another of your choosing based on your lens bag?

11-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Yeah, crummy title, but an idea I have for a December game/challenge. It's inspiration is the Single in September/November challenges but is not limited to just one lens, rather one focal length. Any lens capable of the chosen focal length, be it prime or zoom, is allowed. I'm planning on using the 50-55mm length as I have a bunch of 50s and an SMC-K 55/1.8 I want to compare in a quasi-scientific method (not planning on identical setups for each lens). Any interest in joining with either this focal length or another of your choosing based on your lens bag?
Same 1 a day thingie or??
11-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Same 1 a day thingie or??

Not really. I have 6 or 7 50mm primes that I want to compare. Plus, a couple zooms also cover 50mm. So, whereas Single in Sep/Nov you were "stuck" with just one lens, now you can use all your lenses that will shoot the focal length, i.e. SMC-A 50/1.4, kit lens set at 50mm, Auto Chinon 50/1.7, Promaster 28-200 set at 50mm... Of course, someone may choose 28mm or whatever, because they have several lenses at that focal length they've been meaning to compare, but haven't had the motivation of a daily shoot to do so.

It also wouldn't have to be just one shot. Some may want to do a very strict comparison (same subject, lighting, f-stop, shutter...) to really see lens differences, and thus may want to post the results together on the same day. I may do that to a degree, but it could also get a little tedious looking at 7 identical shots, only difference being the lens used.
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Not really. I have 6 or 7 50mm primes that I want to compare. Plus, a couple zooms also cover 50mm. So, whereas Single in Sep/Nov you were "stuck" with just one lens, now you can use all your lenses that will shoot the focal length, i.e. SMC-A 50/1.4, kit lens set at 50mm, Auto Chinon 50/1.7, Promaster 28-200 set at 50mm... Of course, someone may choose 28mm or whatever, because they have several lenses at that focal length they've been meaning to compare, but haven't had the motivation of a daily shoot to do so.

It also wouldn't have to be just one shot. Some may want to do a very strict comparison (same subject, lighting, f-stop, shutter...) to really see lens differences, and thus may want to post the results together on the same day. I may do that to a degree, but it could also get a little tedious looking at 7 identical shots, only difference being the lens used.
Sounds interesting. I have 4 lenses that can produce 50mm focal length.

11-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This sounds interesting as I also have several lenses in the 50 - 55 length.
Count me in.
11-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
ASa

I could make my entry for the community through this Going to go for the 50mm with three lenses..
11-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great to see some more interest. Just as a reminder, you don't have to use 50mm lenses if you have a different focal length you want to really explore via different lenses, but it could be interesting if everyone is using the same focal length to see how we use and interpret the world through it.

EDIT: Anyone have a better title to name the Album for easy searching (ala Single in September/November)

11-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let The Challenge Begin

So, any who are interested create an album titled Focus on Focal Length where you'll post your photos. Perhaps add what focal length you chose and which lenses you intend to use for the challenge. Here's why I chose 50/55mm for my focal length (still not sure if I'll use the zooms):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
ASa

Seems like you have a serious obsession for that particular focal length Just a heads up that I'll be very busy through the weekend and even in places where I can't upload any pics, but I'll be sure to shoot one each day and post them as soon as I possibly can.

Edit: I'm having troubles with the album, I created it, but can't seem to be able to add any pics in there. Also when I go to Edit Albums it just shows me albums from member named asa14.. If I can't get it solved, I guess I'll post the pics to flickr and put a link in here.

Last edited by ASa; 11-30-2010 at 03:03 PM.
11-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa- Quote
Seems like you have a serious obsession for that particular focal length
Post when you can...that's fine. Most came with camera bodies attached. One of my motives for doing this is to decide which I really want to keep, and which I can let go to a new home.

Not sure about the album problem. From your user panel, clicking on edit albums should only take you to your albums, noone else's.
12-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And...They're Off

Re-uploaded my first shot since there's been server migration here. Here's one that didn't go into the album: