Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2018, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the last of the exotic butterflies in the RTP folder. How quickly they fly.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
This particular species (Heloconius hecale I believe) from So. America seems to do well in captivity. Essentially every butterfly zoo I've visited has many of these flying about.
Nice picture Walter; composition, colours, bokeh, IQ....well done
07-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-7 from a few years ago during a butterfly count in Algonquin Park. DA 18-55mm
Attached Images

07-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Nice picture Walter; composition, colours, bokeh, IQ....well done
Thank you CharLac. Using available light rather than flash meant a wide aperture to get a sufficient short shutter speed, so the DOF isn't sufficient. However, if you concentrate on the body rather than the wings - - -

07-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you CharLac. Using available light rather than flash meant a wide aperture to get a sufficient short shutter speed, so the DOF isn't sufficient. However, if you concentrate on the body rather than the wings - - -
I think that the narrow DOF actually makes it; like you say, the focal point is in the perfect spot
07-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #336
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I think that the narrow DOF actually makes it; like you say, the focal point is in the perfect spot
Great. I refrained from posting that image years back because there was another image, with wings folded, so more of it was within the DOF.
07-19-2018, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #337
Pentaxian

From earlier today.
K-1 and DFA 100 2.8 macro WR.
800 IS0, ƒ8, 1/125s
[/url]

07-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fly covered in pollen on chicory, which is blooming abundantly along roadsides.

TER-OR corrected my error. This is a bee disguised as a fly that's mimicking a bee.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
07-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #339
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you can clearly see the four separate wings of this butterfly
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd call this a bee-bum, but it's really a fly-fanny. NO! MY ERROR (corrected by TER-OR) it is a bee so it is a bee-bum, Bummer for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-20-2018 at 10:28 AM.
07-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While kayaking
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
07-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A fly covered in pollen on chicory, which is blooming abundantly along roadsides.
Bee. Halictus. (maybe rubicundus?)
Observe the antennae, the obvious pollen collecting scopa on her tibias. Wings fold making it tough to see the second smaller wings on each side.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/1559581

Chickory is fantastic, it may well be keeping entire populations alive with its constant flowering through the year. Plus, I find it a cheerful color along the roads.
07-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Bee. Halictus. (maybe rubicundus?)
Observe the antennae, the obvious pollen collecting scopa on her tibias. Wings fold making it tough to see the second smaller wings on each side.
Nomad? - Halictus rubicundus - BugGuide.Net

Chickory is fantastic, it may well be keeping entire populations alive with its constant flowering through the year. Plus, I find it a cheerful color along the roads.
Thanks for the correction, I kept waffling on bee vs bee-mimic. Should have been more observant.
LOTS of chicory blooming along the roads at the moment. Goldfinches sometimes landing and feeding, but I don't think there are any seeds as yet so I'm not sure what the birds are after. Tried to get some pictures of the birds on the chickory, using the car as a blind and parking along a dirt road, but as I approached slowly, the birds flew off, and after waiting for 30 minutes without seeing a single goldfinch up or down the length of road within view, I gave up.
07-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the correction, I kept waffling on bee vs bee-mimic. Should have been more observant.
LOTS of chicory blooming along the roads at the moment. Goldfinches sometimes landing and feeding, but I don't think there are any seeds as yet so I'm not sure what the birds are after. Tried to get some pictures of the birds on the chickory, using the car as a blind and parking along a dirt road, but as I approached slowly, the birds flew off, and after waiting for 30 minutes without seeing a single goldfinch up or down the length of road within view, I gave up.
OH, you can be forgiven for confusing insects. I've learned a LOT over the past few years, and could really benefit from a more systematic approach to studying physiology.

My guess with the finches on chickory is nectar. They'll sip from hummingbird feeders, and I've seen them on other plants too.
It's an aster, so I presume the finches would eat the seeds. I was unaware it's non-native to North America but now of course naturalized across the continent.
07-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
OH, you can be forgiven for confusing insects. I've learned a LOT over the past few years, and could really benefit from a more systematic approach to studying physiology.

My guess with the finches on chickory is nectar. They'll sip from hummingbird feeders, and I've seen them on other plants too.
It's an aster, so I presume the finches would eat the seeds. I was unaware it's non-native to North America but now of course naturalized across the continent.
It's one plant I happy about having a green card, but oriental bittersweet, purple loose strife, glossy buckthorn, kudzu, wild parsnip, giant hogweed, and others I'd just as soon that ICE rounded up and sent back where they started.