Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #781
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
It is clear you remember it with a passion. Thanks for sharing. I could have benefited from a lecture complete with slides,and all the material surrounding the points. My favorite lecture was at Gustavus Adolfus College where they host a Nobel Conference once a year. I was able to secure a ticket for this one back in 1982.
Stephen Jay Gould Evolutionary Hopes and Realities
Steve was at the AMNH completing his PhD just when I came as a grad student, and remained connected to the AMNH for several years after so we overlapped for several years. Steve's casual intellectualism could overwhelm any potential critics of his ideas, Now that he's gone, more dispassionate and object evaluation of his theories has emerged. In truth, much of how all we paleontologists were taught to think and were thinking has been overshadowed and overwhelmed by DNA research. Don't ask for details, I'm in no mood for typing another lecture however short.

06-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #782
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
06-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #783
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of flies, both small.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
06-25-2020, 04:00 AM   #784
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

06-25-2020, 06:22 AM   #785
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Milkweed bug, not my best effort.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
06-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #786
Pentaxian

Yesterday i did a walk of the mundane. Walked through acres of grass with clover. Empty. 2 bumble bees, a honey bee and a handful of moths. Today i asked my landlord if the birds are attracted to his fresh mowed lawns and he looked confused. 20 years ago they flocked to a mown lawn and now there isn't a reason. I walked about an acre of wild mullberry full of fruit. I didn't see one bug or evidence of any and only 2 grackle families. Then i went to fields of thistle and goldenrod. No spiders, or bubble sacks, and occasional bumble bee and little flys and beetles. No butterfly larger than a cabbage butterfly and only a couple at that and ONE grasshopper!
06-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #787
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Yesterday i did a walk of the mundane. Walked through acres of grass with clover. Empty. 2 bumble bees, a honey bee and a handful of moths. Today i asked my landlord if the birds are attracted to his fresh mowed lawns and he looked confused. 20 years ago they flocked to a mown lawn and now there isn't a reason. I walked about an acre of wild mullberry full of fruit. I didn't see one bug or evidence of any and only 2 grackle families. Then i went to fields of thistle and goldenrod. No spiders, or bubble sacks, and occasional bumble bee and little flys and beetles. No butterfly larger than a cabbage butterfly and only a couple at that and ONE grasshopper!

FYI in case you are unaware of the study. A longitudinal study of insect populations in Germany, carried out at 63 nature preserves, sampling several times per year and using a standardized catching method for flying insects (non-flying insects not sampled) found a slightly greater that 5% per year decline in flying insect biomass (species diversity and total number of insects captured not done, only the mass/"weight"). Overall this amounts to a 75% reduction in insects over the 27 years so far of the study, with about an 82% reduction of flying insect biomass during the summer. Distressing and frightening, but learning of this study many months ago it comes as no surprise to me that you have had trouble finding insects to photograph. And BTW: The study considered potential causes of the decline including such things as climate change, periodic weather fluctuations, populations of natural insect predators, etc. etc. and the major factor for insect decline comes down to one cause = HUMANS.

06-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #788
Pentaxian

Stag beetle

06-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #789
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI in case you are unaware of the study.
I am aware of the study. There are a few, mostly tropical. I searched for anything from 2020 and came up empty. I did find out the 4 line beetle is what the infestation is here. My searches for that kept going to the cucumber beetle. I am in a unique situation in that I just moved back to a state and area that I lived in 16 years ago. Old homes, little has changed. Same monocultures of plants, mostly hostas. The transition hasn't calibrated my expectations because I missed it. They were there now they are not. No sparrows even where flocks of 20 were common. In a swamp I had 1 mosquito bite. On my stoop with deet and you use to be in trouble. Outdoor light brings maybe a crane fly or is it a male mosquito. It is like going into the cbd during lockdown compared to before.
06-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #790
Pentaxian

Ladybirds getting busy

06-30-2020, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #791
Pentaxian

DA55-300WR PLM

07-01-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hornet, one of the males that did not win the battle to reproduce. 19 file stack
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-02-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #793
Pentaxian

KP and DA55-300WR PLM

07-04-2020, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A so-so image of an ant, and a much better image of a thorn-imitating leaf hopper.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
07-06-2020, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #795
Pentaxian