Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1610 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John, no filters. Just the lens. I do have a UV filter but I never use it. The sun was setting and I pointed the lens down a bit allowing the rays to hit the lens. Now come to think of this... this was with the hood on! Rubbish!

11-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Clou: Nice series. I especially like how the flare trail aids the movement of the 2nd shot. The grasses seem to be reaching for it and the sun.

Javier: I wondered what was happening in the shadow... nice rainbow.

Here's one from the NC mountains this past summer:

Sunrise
11-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Good to see that others also like a judicious use of flare.

JeffJS: You certainly did get flare with your FEs. I find the first shot a bit more pleasing as the flare almost adds another wisp of clouds. The 2nd is a bit too distracting except for the extra geometry it adds.

Great start folks.
I actually didn't see the flare on that shot until I got home and uploaded the picture to my computer. Certainly wasn't what I was going for. I'm still trying to figure out where the text that shows in some of it came from. It did teach me one thing though, I can actually See in the viewfinder, when it's going to happen. I may even try someday controlling it for effect.

The Spiratone is a different lens all together. One of these days (if I keep it) I'll figure out where it's actual focal point is.

11-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
...Tamia: I like the sunstar and the extra little flash of color at the outer ring of it....
I like that effect, too, John. I love the different flare effects you're all getting. Jussi, that shot of yours is blinding!

Here's another one I found in my archives. I like how small flares dance over the water like bubbles or spray.

11-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote

11-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamia, nice shot and I like the rainbow in the hexagon. Always nice to see the real split of white sunlight happening.
BTW did you know that an odd number of blades will give you the double star-rays?

Jussi/Nesster you have created another hexagonal sun in a different way, impressive.

John/jheu, nice idea and I like your last forest shot, gives me a good feeling of spatial impression.

11-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It did teach me one thing though, I can actually See in the viewfinder, when it's going to happen. I may even try someday controlling it for effect.
Yeah. That's the trick I find. If I'm not planning for it, it can really screw up a shot. But when I'm expecting it, and can plan the shot in a way to use its effect, I like it for adding warmth or motion or a direction for the eyes to pan. Here's one of my SiN shots in which I wanted the morning sun, and allowed for a little bit o' flare to set the mood. Looking back at the shot, I think I overcontrolled the flare a bit and would have liked to see this shot with even more.

11-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

11-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #24
Inactive Account

As much as I tried to avoid it, it's there.. The flare..

DA15 f4 / K7

11-29-2010, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

11-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tamia: I too like the flare effects off of water, makes them lok like hexagonal bubbles floating up.

Georg: Though some of the extra flare is hidden a bit by the OOF of the bench shot, great dreamlike quality to that shot. Interesting placement of the light against the building. Most times I would try to avoid extra "things" in the way, but it works here.

Javier: some interesting high-contrast work here, though aside from the sunstar, not sure I see too much lens flare. Again, could be masked a little by the B/W conversion, which can be a great way to "salvage" some of the shots in which we get flare that we really don't want, versus that which we're trying to use to effect.

Jeff: Yep it is, and that's the kind I dread. It's not prominent enough to really add to the photo, yet it's noticable enough to nag. I got a couple shots today where I didn't even think flare would be a problem, didn't see it in the viewfinder, and therefore didn't try to control for it, but there's a nagging spot in the center of interest which can't be easily cloned out.

Here's that shot from today to illustrate what B/W conversion "filters" can do for us in the case of unwanted flare. 1st is the color (with blue hexagonal flare near the center), 2nd with a blue "filter" (still has the hexagon, only light grey), 3rd with a red "filter" applied during the conversion and the flare all but disappears.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

11-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yee ha! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Even in B/W.
11-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are really nice examples in this inspired thread. Thanks for your kind words, Javier, George, and John. George, no, I didn't realize that an odd number of blades will give you the double star-rays. I don't know the science around it, but I'm learning through the examples here that flare is a varied and fascinating subject.

Here's another one I found in my archive. I used my DA 50-200mm for this shot, no polarizer, but a protective UV is on the lens: