Photos: Gallery | Albums
iPhone flare

01-17-2018, 04:30 AM   #602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
iPhone flare
The light shineth upon the old car. Will it be refurbished if not resurrected?
01-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #603
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The light shineth upon the old car. Will it be refurbished if not resurrected?
Careful, we don't want to wake up Christine
01-18-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #604
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wintery woodland.

Attached Images

01-18-2018, 09:34 PM - 5 Likes   #605
Pentaxian

01-19-2018, 11:22 AM - 4 Likes   #606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone has to post after LeRolls, so here's a sunset across Ngorogoro Crater.
Attached Images

01-19-2018, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote

I hope the girl in that second shot didn't get any splinters!

01-19-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #608
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I hope the girl in that second shot didn't get any splinters!
If she did, I volunteer for first aid
01-19-2018, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #609
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Crater. Really really big.

DAZ
01-19-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If she did, I volunteer for first aid
I saw that one coming...
01-21-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SMC-K 50mm f1.4

Taking down the trees
01-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Crater. Really really big.DAZ
Looks the Meteor Crater (AKA Barringer Crater in Arizona. It's probably the best preserved astrobleme structure in the world, being both young and in a desert, but it is far, far from being large among known impact sites. Look up the Sudbury Basin in Canada, a major source of nickel and is generally classified as the oldest (1.8+ billion years) and one of the largest (130km, 81mi diameter) astrobleme structures on Earth.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-21-2018 at 12:32 PM.
01-21-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #613
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks the Meteor Crater (AKA Barringe) Crater in Arizona. It's probably the best preserved astrobleme structure in the world, being both young and in a desert, but it is far, far from being large among known impact sites. Look up the Sudbury Basin in Canada, a major source of nickel and is generally classified as the oldest (1.8+ billion years) and one of the largest (130km, 81mi diameter) astrobleme structures on Earth.

That is correct WPRESTO; it is the Barringe crater. For those that don’t know it is named Barringe crater after the man who 1st correctly identified it as a meteor crater. And when I refer to it as “really really big” it was not my intent to say it is the biggest. One of the things that is lacking in a photo,without something in the photo to give it a sense of scale, is the size of something. Other craters are larger and older, but this is considered the best-preserved crater. In this case, it comes down to that it is easiest to see that it is a crater. But even standing on the rim viewing it with your own eyes you don’t even get a sense of its scale then. I used a Sigma 8-16mm at 8 mm on an APS C camera to try to capture the crater. And even at 8 mm (about 120°), I couldn’t get it all in one frame. I’ve never had that problem before with this lens (said with a slightly sad and puzzled expression). Using your own eyes, you need to turn your head quite a bit to see the whole thing, and that is still not giving you a sense of scale. A few things to possibly help you put this into perspective. To the left of the lens flare on the crater rim is a large boulder. This is called “house boulder” because is said to be the size of a standard American house. But even that only helps a little bit. If you look extremely carefully at the crater floor, you will see that there are a few abandoned structures. Near one of those, they have placed an American flag the same size as the flag that was placed on the moon. Next to this flag is a life-size (6 foottall) white plywood cutout of an astronaut. Without this being pointed out most people (without optical aids) can not identify these objects nor even notice them.

DAZ
01-21-2018, 11:28 AM - 6 Likes   #614

Winter morning

Winter morning light on the moors at Keld, Yorkshire Dales, UK
Attached Images

Last edited by fizzio; 01-21-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: extra word
01-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #615
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote

That is correct WPRESTO; it is the Barringe crater. For those that don’t know it is named Barringe crater after the man who 1st correctly identified it as a meteor crater. And when I refer to it as “really really big” it was not my intent to say it is the biggest. One of the things that is lacking in a photo,without something in the photo to give it a sense of scale, is the size of something. Other craters are larger and older, but this is considered the best-preserved crater. In this case, it comes down to that it is easiest to see that it is a crater. But even standing on the rim viewing it with your own eyes you don’t even get a sense of its scale then. I used a Sigma 8-16mm at 8 mm on an APS C camera to try to capture the crater. And even at 8 mm (about 120°), I couldn’t get it all in one frame. I’ve never had that problem before with this lens (said with a slightly sad and puzzled expression). Using your own eyes, you need to turn your head quite a bit to see the whole thing, and that is still not giving you a sense of scale. A few things to possibly help you put this into perspective. To the left of the lens flare on the crater rim is a large boulder. This is called “house boulder” because is said to be the size of a standard American house. But even that only helps a little bit. If you look extremely carefully at the crater floor, you will see that there are a few abandoned structures. Near one of those, they have placed an American flag the same size as the flag that was placed on the moon. Next to this flag is a life-size (6 foottall) white plywood cutout of an astronaut. Without this being pointed out most people (without optical aids) can not identify these objects nor even notice them.DAZ
I'll have to dig out my chromes from a visit to that spot, scan and post just for fun. Alas, it is all to difficult to locate specific chromes, as the collection is massive, and grew unmanageable before any thought was put to managing it.