Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
I certainly hope your new avatar does not reflect your state of mind as a result of this challenge!

-Joe
Not the challenge at all (though I wish i was more inspired to find "the Shot"), but definitely related to my current state of mind at points

01-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #212
Inactive Account

Hey everyone!

Just posted a whole bunch more SiJ images. Well, those of you who are still hanging in, we've made it over the hump of the month (hopefully)! Good luck and keep up the good work!!
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We've had about 2/3's.....

Is it just me, or is there less spirit in this Single than in the ones before?
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

quite a whack of safety shots uploading now, todays is the only one i am even vaguely proud of. missed the 16th all together somehow
oh well getting back on track a bit
and the weekend is coming
off to the pub for dinner have a great night everyone

01-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
We've had about 2/3's.....

Is it just me, or is there less spirit in this Single than in the ones before?
This is my first single lens challenge so I can't speak to any others. January is probably one of the toughest months of the year for many people (short cold days in the northern hemisphere, post Christmas blues etc). I probably would have taken very few photos if not for this exercise even if I feel limited by my lens in so many ways. But I find that I lack the time to get around to the albums like I would like to and cheer others on. (I have actually found it hard to keep up with the rest of the forum in general.) However, I have found lots of inspiration and greatly appreciated the comments on my shots and all around this is an excellent, if demanding exercise.

-Joe
01-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #216
Veteran Member

I agree Rense. There's something missing this time around. For me it's even less time than in November, which was unexpected. I have a shot for every day, I'm just behind on uploading. I keep doing it in batches - two or three at a time. I have some time at work to review everyone else's progress though. So far, I've learned a lot about my lens of choice and found it to be quite good actually. Apparently, part of the softness wide open, was because the rear element wasn't clean. I cleaned it up when I was cleaning the Leitz and all of the sudden it got more contrasty and sharper. I think part of the lack of spirit is the shitty weather up here. I'm tired of shoveling snow. It snowed again last night and my back is hurting. At least part of November was nice.
01-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
This is my first single lens challenge so I can't speak to any others. January is probably one of the toughest months of the year for many people (short cold days in the northern hemisphere, post Christmas blues etc). I probably would have taken very few photos if not for this exercise even if I feel limited by my lens in so many ways. But I find that I lack the time to get around to the albums like I would like to and cheer others on. (I have actually found it hard to keep up with the rest of the forum in general.) However, I have found lots of inspiration and greatly appreciated the comments on my shots and all around this is an excellent, if demanding exercise.

-Joe
The weather and the amount of daylight available really does limit you. Yesterday I was at work and couldn't get out to shoot until the way home. for most of the day it was bright clear blue skies and i was really itching to get out. by the time i left it was overcast again and snowing by the time i got home. uuggh!!!
I am watching everyone's albums and have seen some great stuff. Personal life issues have really derailed me this past week but i was pretty happy with my OOF shot yesterday
Hopefully this weekend brings some good opportunities (the m 28 f3.5 was probably the wrong lens I should have stuck to my original 50 1.7 or 55 1.8 for the lower light abilities . I do like the lens and when i'm able to be out in the light or have the time for tripod shots though it's working out pretty well
January in Canada is probably the most depressing month with the lack of sunlight and daylight in general. SIJ has definitely helped combat that for me
10 days to go

01-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #218
Inactive Account

I've got an idea! If the weather is causing a bleak element to this Single, lets do something about it!

My idea is that we all try really hard to capture the feel--mundane, bleak, flat, etc. Lets focus on lack of emotion in our pictures and it may spring forth some "mutual feelings."

Got a better idea? Lets hear it!
01-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I can relate to what you are saying Voytech. The first part of this week was murder for me, sick, no inspiration, tired ... January!!!

The last part, well I read The photographers eye by Michael Freeman (again) and that book just picks me up. It's like reading pages with law or math. It takes time to digest, but when it dawns on you it really dawns.

Maybe we are doing this thing too often?
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Torben, your last sentence, I thought about that too.....
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Torben, your last sentence, I thought about that too.....

I can't say that as this is the first time i've participated. I have seen some stellar work (woof for one never fails to impress, as do you rense edit Should add everyone has impressed me at various points and i try an comment when i have the time to review)
For me personal life threw me way of this week and I almost dropped out but decided I really need this to keep me sane and made a small effort yesterday and should have time to get back at it this weekend
still wish I'd chosen a fast 50 though just not enough light most days (and no k5 where it wouldn't matter)
01-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #222
Veteran Member

I'm not impressing myself at all this month. I have to say that the 28mm was far easier to do this with. Most of all though, I feel exhausted. My son is teething (again) so I'm getting 5 hours of sleep and that combined with stress at work is really draining my creativity. I still take photos daily, if only to exercise my will.
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Changed my album name, added a descriptive line....
I guess I will shoot the last week streets too, so I added that in the title...
01-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Three of my SiJ shots are added to my PPG Gallery...

01-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #225
Veteran Member

And rightfully so Rense. Still amazed at the blacksmith shot.