Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks to all.

One more photo left for me to complete this challenge.
I imagine that should be the same in one form or another for those still engaged in SiJ.

Anyways, just wanted to thank all who viewed and commented on my pix. Thanks to all who participated because it made this dreaded month much more bearable for my eyes and lessened my chances of catching cabin fever.
Real interesting and creative work in your albums!
I wish I would have had more time to comment more; just might have some time later today.

I'll be passing on any attempt at SiF because I need the break and will have time constraints. Maybe March will prove to be a better pairing for me.
Good luck to all.

01-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #287

Photos: Albums
OH.MY.WOW!! This month has been ape nuts!!!! I am so sorry I couldn't complete in this challenge! I've gone through the albums and the photos are just awesome!!! I finally fixed my computer so hopefully sometime in March (yes, February is looking just as crazy ) I'll be able to edit the photos I've taken I feel like such a bum but you guys totally rock! Hope all is well for everyone!!
01-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

one more shot today, if I can manage to get out of work at a reasonable time I'll go shoot an elephant on Bay street
I may finish the day out with Film as I have about 8 shots on a roll in my Km and it would be interesting to note the FOV difference from apsc
thanks for all the Pic comments from everyone, and some truly inspiring work was done. It's a tough month for those of us in the northern hemisphere to stay inspired and get out there. Thankfully there are a few of you in the southern hemisphere who could give us a taste of summer, we'll try and return the favour in July
01-31-2011, 05:39 AM   #289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone besides me wondering where Seaan (woof) got to?
I was awed by his stuff this month but he seems to have dropped off the planet since the 24th (no posts at all)

01-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #290
Forum Member

Final picture uploaded!

That's it.. finally finished. Glad to have participated in this challenge, made me learn a few things, among them are:

1. It's not that hard to use an MF lens. With the extra tips on zone focusing, I find that it is much easier to shoot when I don't want to focus on a single subject. Also, started to believe more on my eyesight rather than the focus confirmation indicator.

2. Appreciate the quality of images from primes - My 50mm was also my first prime, and compared to my zooms, the 50mm is much sharper, and of course, faster

Thanks to all of the supportive comments of the pictures I posted in the album. I find it really helpful and encouraging for a beginner like me. But I still feel that I lack the skills to produce consistent good shots every time.. should practice more.

Looking forward to Single in February (if its still on), but I think I'll take a slightly less challenging lens, an AF Zoom (Sigma 17-70). I just got it two months ago, but because I participated in SiJ, I haven't been able to use it much.
01-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #291
Pentaxian

I have to somehow take one more shot as my lens broke. The zoom won't work and it isn't focusing, manually or on AF. Something let go inside.
01-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #292
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear Reeftool. I'm interested to see what you can come up with.

01-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have to somehow take one more shot as my lens broke. The zoom won't work and it isn't focusing, manually or on AF. Something let go inside.

Sorry to hear about the lens failure. Probably not worth a repair as the 35-70 should be pretty easy to find a replacement for at a price less than most repairs would be (it's odd it won't focus or zoom manually)

Given the circumstance I think we would all forgive a missed day or for that matter the use of a different lens
(if it's far enough out of focus you could produce an abstract)
01-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #294
Veteran Member

Or just reverse the damn thing and see if you can do a macro shot of anything.
01-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #295
Pentaxian

I just finished my last shots. When I put it into macro mode to shoot the snow spider Saturday, something must have broke. It works in macro mode and regular mode at 70mm only. Turning the zoom ring does nothing but it does change the data so the electrical connections are working. Trying to move the zoom manually does nothing but make the lens unusable. Nothing will come into focus. So I now have a 70mm Macro. The AF still works but only at that length. It goes into macro by turning the zoom ring past the 70mm point so that's where it stuck. Too bad as I was beginning to like this lens a lot. It is sharp as a tack for most stuff and when it isn't, it's been my fault, not the lens. I paid very little for it so I'm not sending it anywhere for repair and it's still usable for some stuff now that I know how to get it working. I suspect that the extra use it got this month, mostly in bitter cold temperatures, did it in.
01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I just finished my last shots. When I put it into macro mode to shoot the snow spider Saturday, something must have broke. It works in macro mode and regular mode at 70mm only. Turning the zoom ring does nothing but it does change the data so the electrical connections are working. Trying to move the zoom manually does nothing but make the lens unusable. Nothing will come into focus. So I now have a 70mm Macro. The AF still works but only at that length. It goes into macro by turning the zoom ring past the 70mm point so that's where it stuck. Too bad as I was beginning to like this lens a lot. It is sharp as a tack for most stuff and when it isn't, it's been my fault, not the lens. I paid very little for it so I'm not sending it anywhere for repair and it's still usable for some stuff now that I know how to get it working. I suspect that the extra use it got this month, mostly in bitter cold temperatures, did it in.
So your lens has sacrificed itself for the greater good? At least 70mm can be a very functional focal length and you did get some great photos with the lens over this month!

-Joe
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's been fun everyone, I'm doing today's final shot on film so it will be a couple of days before it goes up as i have to wait on the lab, i'll post and let you know. I'm going to shoot something I've already shot for the FOV comparison
It's inspired me to do a single in every month this year and assemble them into a 365 so i'll see you around any months projects
01-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #298
Veteran Member

Eddie... you are so right! With January already complete, EVERYONE can start a 365 project I will have to seriously think about that.
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #299
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Single in 2011 ... *shudder* ;-)

Well, with that Leica lens it would not be so bad eh Voytech? :-D

I do not think that I am ready to do a 365 project, but I would very much like to watch some of you do it with great interest. I say go for it!
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #300
Veteran Member

Well it wouldn't be a Single lens for the whole year. I'm going to continue taking pictures and see how far it takes me.