Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ash and Peter thanks for the thoughts.

Ash, I think what you're interpreting as pixelation is the noise in the conversion process (like you have as a ?). I typically prefer using a B/W Film effect which enables "filter" selection to using the channel mixer or converting to greyscale methods. It does enhance the noise a bit but in this case I like the grainy look to it. That said, I didn't shoot it in RAW as I generally don't like having to go through the extra processing steps.

Peter, also a different way of looking at it. I think if it were presented in the portrait manner, the judges would have been confused even more as to the subject. In my eye, I saw the entirety of the scene (rusting containers, sign-less post, building, scrub grasses) as important. So, it wasn't just a picture of a sign post (I had taken one of just it facing the opposite direction with more sky which was posted here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/89467...-here-156.html

I will be back in that area today at around the same time of day, and there are some clouds building so we'll see...there could have been some angles I didn't fully explore, but I really was pretty happy with it as shot.

04-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

John:

Looking at your image I can see the area has definite character and possibilities. I know the sign is important to the overall character of the area, but not being there, it is hard to make some reasonable suggestions about what else you could have done. But the area is good enough for you to keep working at it! Try going there without your camera (on a day without good clouds so you don't get disappointed!) and just "see" the area. You may have an epiphany!

Regards,
04-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #303
Pentaxian

Well I was back today, and the clouds didn't materialize, but I walked all around the site looking at various angles and distances from the station, sign, etc. The only way, other than head-on to get the sign in the shot is from the angle already taken. From the opposite corner, disregarding the sign, there's a distracting business in the background. Couldn't back up further as the street and power/phone lines would come into the frame, and the couple angles I looked at for just the building, to me, lost the appeal of the whole shot. I did find something else to shoot at the site, which is my SiA shot for today.

April 13th Service you can Trust...A Bathroom you Can't
04-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #304
Pentaxian

And another one:

No Escape

Excellent photo! Perhaps just a bit dark.

I would like to have seen this with just the wire. Great subject.

Ominous sky and subject matter with some interest in form and curves, but limited captivation in the subject for the image to strike as an appealing one for PEG.

04-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like this image quite a bit! The darkness adds a nice mood to it, which works with the subject of the image. Having less DoF might have been better, or leave out the prison in the BG and give us the sky with deep DoF.

There are so many options! Just keep to your vision, it is what really counts anyway!
04-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK- It's my turn

A judge said it needed a point of interest. I saw the tree on the left as that. Also, I did not want anything breaking up the reflections on the river, giving the image some symmetry. I achieved what I wanted with the image, and have gotten some great feed back from other photographers. NEXT!
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #307
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I see the point of this photograph BigDave as you explain it, but agree that there is no clear attraction for the viewer in this image. The tree shoved over to the periphery of the image doesn't strike me as an anchor or point of interest, leaving the scene needing a strong form to exemplify the silhouette, which I think does not come forth in the image. Just my 2c worth.

04-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #308
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I officially give up on PEG getting anything of mine in there. They shot down my eagle saying:

Ordinary framing. This one I don't get at all.
Multiple distracting factors in the image. It was in a pine tree, not a zoo.
Ordinary lighting. Sun, can't control it.
Eyes look eerie. Sun shining in eye, again, can't control it.

How many judges have seen an Eagle in the wild this close up?

04-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #309
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Ok, I officially give up on PEG getting anything of mine in there. They shot down my eagle saying:

Ordinary framing. This one I don't get at all.
Multiple distracting factors in the image. It was in a pine tree, not a zoo.
Ordinary lighting. Sun, can't control it.
Eyes look eerie. Sun shining in eye, again, can't control it.

How many judges have seen an Eagle in the wild this close up?
Close to Zero would be my bet.

I gave up some time ago.

On a Side note. I'm guessing you are sent ALL comments, not just the ones tied to rejections. Could be wrong about that, I've never received a single comment on any of them.

04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #310
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That's all the comments I received Jeff. I've never received any positive comments from those guys/gals. Only other comment was I could fix it...and resubmit. Fix what? They want me to take it out of the pine tree and put it in a zoo? Oh, and how in the h*** would I control the lighting 50 foot up a tree? DUH!!
04-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #311
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
That's all the comments I received Jeff. I've never received any positive comments from those guys/gals. Only other comment was I could fix it...and resubmit. Fix what? They want me to take it out of the pine tree and put it in a zoo? Oh, and how in the h*** would I control the lighting 50 foot up a tree? DUH!!
Trust me. I understand the frustration. The appreciation of a once in a lifetime shot is lost on most people. I supposed if you put a macro on the camera and somehow managed to catch whatever bug may have been crawling on his back, you might have had a chance.

I found the photo to be sharp enough, well exposed (no blown out feathers), and interesting enough (but you already knew that from me). As for the creepy eye, looking in your POTW submission, it looks like he is actually Blinking his eye.

In a way, though I've stated before a photo should stand on its own, it's a shame we cannot submit a Visible 80 character comment with the photos.

04-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #312
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a lot of emphasis on the one set of feedback given to your image, Mar. Remember that a significant number of voters would have had to vote no for this image not to have gotten through.

Framing and composition are just about everything in photographic art and can make or break an image. A rare subject in itself is not a guarantee of public appreciation for an image depicting it. There needn't be justification for uncontrolled factors that inherently detract from the impact of an image - they just do, and can also take away from a photo's strength, especially lighting.

That would be my take - and is nothing more than that. I hope it has made some sense despite the vagueness and does not upset.

Last edited by Ash; 04-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #313
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think their comments warrant them to try this sometime. In nature, as I know you know, you can't control somethings. Lighting, composure, and bird. But I've seen photos in there that were taken in a zoo or a wildlife park. We don't have those things around here so I get my nature photographs from nature itself.
04-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #314
Pentaxian

Interesting read, this thread. It actually makes me feel better about my recent rejection. I am a newb and didn't actually expect to get accepted, though.

I do think that there is too much emphasis on a photo being technically "perfect". I've seen a lot of photos that are not perfect but still evoke quite an emotional response. Some of my favorite photos are not necessarily perfect.

But hey, the PEG is what it is and it's pretty cool.
04-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Photolady:

I appreciate two aspects here. First, how hard it is to get a Baldy to stay still long enough for you to compose a shot well. We have some nesting pairs in my area and I see them along the Delaware River (upper) kinda regularly now (it is nice) but getting close enough to take a good shot, that is hard, real hard. You need to be in the right place at the right time, or know where to be regularly to improve your chances at the great shot.

Second, I do see what the judges are commenting on, at least in part. The Pine needles in front of the beak are distracting, as is the branch blocking the bottom of the bird. And yes, the bird may have been blinking (like you could tell that when you took the shot). But these small things take away from the image and turn from a PEG image to a nice image of the Eagle.

Sometimes we make a great accomplishment, but it is still not good enough to set you apart for a special venue. Consider the runner that just broke the world record, only to have the three runners after him run faster. Now, he is not even a Bronze medal winner! I will say keep trying, don't give up. You obviously have the skill, now you just need some luck that will bring it all together!

Regards,