Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #346
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep at it photolady, with improvements on your shooting/framing techniques in mind for each of your outings. The old photography adage helps when taking any photo: it should be composed of a creatively framed subject standing out from a complementary background.

05-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #347
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

About cropping that one, I thought I should but couldn't come up with what I wanted it to look like. Perhaps a bit of help would let me see the light, eh? Problem I have is, I thought this one looked just right for its surroundings, but I guess not for PEG judges.
05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, another PEG bites the dust:

And there was no comments as to why. Well, it's in PPG for approval now, so I'll wait and hope on that gallery.

Thanks Jeff. I was happy when the eagle got in PPG as well as the others, I just wish I could get one in PEG as well. I've seen some accepted in there that I consider should have been rejected toot sweet. LOL

Is this a big crop?
05-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #349
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. I was pretty close to this bird. I cropped a bit off the top and less off bottom and a bit more on both sides. Let me put it this way, she wasn't across a large pond when I shot this, she was on the north end of a small square shaped pond, and I was standing on a small rise in the middle on the east side. This pond was man made by the city. It has a small fountain dead center. I thought I had a photo of the whole pond but can't find it now. Do you want to see the original Tanner?

05-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #350
Veteran Member

Nope. I was pretty close to this bird. I cropped a bit off the top and less off bottom and a bit more on both sides. Let me put it this way, she wasn't across a large pond when I shot this, she was on the north end of a small square shaped pond, and I was standing on a small rise in the middle on the east side. This pond was man made by the city. It has a small fountain dead center. I thought I had a photo of the whole pond but can't find it now. Do you want to see the original Tanner?

Well im asking because the image quality just doesn't look to be there. I don't know how to describe it other than that it looks like its a crop.
05-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #351
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of my photos are cropped for sure because we know that that digital isn't the same as a film camera on how it sees things. I crop some of my photos to the extreme, like the dragonfly, but this wasn't cropped that much. Plus lately, I'm having problems seeing the true focus on with this lens and I don't know what the problem is, whether it's my eyes or the lens. Some photos are tack sharp at 300mm other aren't. Also, I've noticed what is sharp on my monitor/hard drive isn't when I upload them to PEG. I know Ash had this problem too, so it isn't just that my photos.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-24-2011 at 06:57 PM.
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #352
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue has essentially been resolved - Adam's increased the image size limitations before the forum software starts compressing the images (thereby degrading its quality) but this is just for PEG. Addressed earlier here: PEG submissions and soft images. So there should be no problem now.

IQ is critical in getting good results, and consumer telezooms can be a challenge to attain this. Crops further highlight any image discepancies.

05-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #353
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The issue has essentially been resolved - Adam's increased the image size limitations before the forum software starts compressing the images (thereby degrading its quality) but this is just for PEG. Addressed earlier here: PEG submissions and soft images. So there should be no problem now.

IQ is critical in getting good results, and consumer telezooms can be a challenge to attain this. Crops further highlight any image discepancies.
I didn't see Adam had increase this size of uploads even though I had been reading your thread there, Ash. So much to read and so little time, eh.

Yes, my Sigma doesn't seem to want to focus at the longer end for some reason, at times that is, however, this could be my vision too. I have to get new glasses soon because these readers aren't working since I'm getting older. For a while, and I think with this bird shot, I didn't wear my glasses at all when shooting, I used the diopter to adjust to my sight. Now I'm back to using my glasses, I still can't get some objects in focus at the long end. I can tell they are not in focus even though the camera says they are in focus.

I guess I need to save for better glasses or the Pentax 55-300mm.
05-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #354
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I had another reject but the comments are more on the positive side than the negative I've been seeing. Which encourages me to keep trying.

Comments:
Nice image, but a bit soft, particularly around the head. Was the antenna retouched?

Nice holding of the light tones.

An improved version of the previous submission, which is almost there for me. What's missing is the wow factor that better quality lighting would produce in terms of texture and detail. Otherwise an outstanding image.
05-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WOW! Better quality lighting?? I guess you should have had a studio set up for this little guy!

The lighting is soft, and has to be with those white wings. If anything, adding a little contrast without blowing out the structure in the back wing would be nice. What kind of lighting were you using?

Butterfly freaks would love this. You even have the toungue out!

Regards,
05-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #356
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
WOW! Better quality lighting?? I guess you should have had a studio set up for this little guy!
Sometimes I wonder what the judges are thinking.

QuoteQuote:
The lighting is soft, and has to be with those white wings. If anything, adding a little contrast without blowing out the structure in the back wing would be nice. What kind of lighting were you using?
Most what I worry about is blowing whites when I pp any white subject. And I had no light other than the sun on this shot. I usually I have my homemade flash/extender with me, as I only have onboard flash, yet, it does a pretty decent job with my homemade gadget, I didn't have it that day.

QuoteQuote:
Butterfly freaks would love this. You even have the toungue out!
As for the Butterfly freaks, I don't know any of them. I think I posted this in the games section under Butterflies and Moths, but can't remember if I did or not.

Btw, this is also in my PPG. Overall, I'm happy with their comments this time. At least it made me feel better about our judges and their comments.
05-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Wow, gorgeous shot, photolady! It certainly would make the Loco Exclusive Photo Gallery!
05-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #358
Inactive Account

Sometimes I wonder what the judges are thinking.

Btw, this is also in my PPG. Overall, I'm happy with their comments this time. At least it made me feel better about our judges and their comments.
I wondered where I had seen that photo before, Recently.

05-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #359
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks loco for the compliment.

Jeff, that's where you saw it and in SiM.
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #360
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Mar,

I don't know what PP software you have but there is an action in PSP called Clarify that really helps make the butterfly pop in your image. I think the Photoshop equivalent is Shadows/Highlights. I applied the action 3 times at a setting of 2.

If you want to resubmit this amazing image one more time, I'd be happy to apply the action to your image and send it back.

Tim