Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #376
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Images in PEG can be deleted at any time. Indeed the gallery is not going to represent the 'best' Pentax photographers can do since simply the best photographers aren't submitting their work to PEG - they're busy making money from it.

Nevertheless, PEG is going to be as good as the images it has submitted to it. And clearly there's inextricably some biases in the panel that produce less favourable outcomes for submissions, but such is the consensus process among amateur/enthusiast judges...

07-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It was nice of Adam to allow you to retract the approved ones. Everyone submitting to the PEG should understand that they give away the right to retract the images. The rules say that the images can be kept in the gallery even if the author doesn't want them to be in there anymore.
Actually, I could find nothing in the uploading process for the PEG or even the PEG announcement stating that the owner gives away the right to retract the images https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/109832-exclusive-gallery...ml#post1131565. He!!, even the PPG lets you delete your images if you want.

It does say that in the Monthly Photo Contest rules and I have one from there that will be stuck forever. I've stopped submitting to the monthly challenge as well, because of that clause.

Tim
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Images in PEG can be deleted at any time.
Adam seems to differ with his opinion.
07-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #379
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There used to be a delete option for the PEG but it is no longer there. I know Adam says there wasn't but I've almost clicked on that button more than once. I never did see one for the Monthly Challenge winner images. The delete option difference between the PEG and Winners images was one of the things I noticed early on. And Adam locked the other thread before I could discuss the matter in more detail, so he might have forgot (I don't remember how long ago it was that I saw the delete option).

Tim

07-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #380
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps it did change later on as in the past I've deleted a couple of my entries that I wanted to redo and resubmit. I'm sure it wouldn't be intentional, probably just a loss of scripting during the upgrade process somewhere along the line...
07-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Perhaps it did change later on as in the past I've deleted a couple of my entries that I wanted to redo and resubmit. I'm sure it wouldn't be intentional, probably just a loss of scripting during the upgrade process somewhere along the line...
How do you reconcile that with Adam's statement that it had been the idea to not allow deletion from day one?
07-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #382
Veteran Member

How do you reconcile that with Adam's statement that it had been the idea to not allow deletion from day one?
Inverse the logic.. maybe it got allowed through error.. I've done that on a few forums I admin when rolling versions over that do annoying things to permissions... *shrug*

Nothing more embarrassing than the moderators 'lounge' going public ...

(No real idea though, just offering an explanation as to how there may be no subterfuge going on here at all! )

07-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #383
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried again. The photo below was shot with a Rikenon 50mm lens and three closeup lenses stacked to each other. The subject is only about two inches long nose to tail. It was shot down this afternoon just after upload and with no reasons given. I wondered about the middle of its body not being tack sharp, and the extra blades of grass, could have cropped those out but nothing I could do about the middle of its body being slightly OOF.

What do you all think?

When mine are rejected, and placed in the User Gallery, that's when I delete them.

Last edited by photolady95; 07-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, I think this is a very nice image. However, it may not be a PEG image. The subject does not seem to lend itself to getting a really superior image because the subject is so thin! Not much you can do with lighting or point of view. The WOW factor is just not there I think for the PEG. I like the OOF grass in the BG, it helps add to the line quality the subject is creating.

For the subject itself, this is a great image. For Entomology work this image would be truly outstanding.
07-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #385
Inactive Account

On my screen it just didn't appear very sharp. I think that's a by product of using closeup lenses (I've never used any that I was happy with, especially stacked). The flow of the photo is good and nothing is very distracting. You're certainly better at catching these insects than I am but I don't really see it as gallery worthy.

07-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #386
Veteran Member

I don't see it as particularly soft, but there is a general lack of contrast that I see. Still, a strong photo.
07-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #387
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the input on it guys. I'll try again with another in a few months.
08-04-2011, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #388
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I tried again, one Jeff thought was PEG quality, but they shot it down too. I'm not unhappy this time, I think I've decided what some people think is a good PEG photo, isn't but it does not matter, I know it's a good shot.

Judges comments were better this time too. No biased comments, which I thought these were supposed to unbiased IMO, anyway.
QuoteQuote:
Trying again eh? You had my vote the other day when you first posted it. Maybe the 30th time is the charm. Good luck..

Very nice

Too much yellow colour casting. Lighting is OK but not outstanding, and the same goes for the sharpness and detail. Good image though.
I just wish there was a way for the judges to see our comments before they start looking. I could have said this is a macro shot in full sunlight in a natural setting and macro shots the head and legs are the only thing supposed to be in focus. But we can't put all that in the title, and the comments aren't shown before voting.
08-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #389
Veteran Member

I'm generally pretty tough on photos myself, especially insect macros which have to be just about perfect as there is so much great competition, but I agree this one should probably have made it in. Perfect DOF, nice and sharp, nice background. What's not to like? I like the colour too. It is slightly yellow but nothing unpleasant or unnatural, I can't believe that judge dinged you about it.

Before you get too pleased about my comments I should also add that I don't agree that the judges need to know about the full sunlight and natural setting etc. On the whole it is my opinion that the photo is either good enough or it isn't, the difficult circumstances in which you took it don't matter. (There are exceptions to this of course, but they are few and far between and usually involve photos which can never be repeated: e.g. photos taken on the moon, some war photography, etc)

Last edited by thoughton; 08-04-2011 at 07:46 AM.
08-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #390
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Comments are comments and everyone has a different one. It's always been said, if you, the photographer are happy with your photo, then that's all that matters because we are our own worst critic. I know the comments I made above are not relevant in this scenario I was just rambling about what might make a shot accepted or not. Doesn't matter one way or the other now.