Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

I just wish there was a way for the judges to see our comments before they start looking. I could have said this is a macro shot in full sunlight in a natural setting and macro shots the head and legs are the only thing supposed to be in focus. But we can't put all that in the title, and the comments aren't shown before voting.
I like the shot! Its pretty apparent its a natural shot in daylight, and to everyone but maybe the most elite technical fanatic should knows that as longs as the eyes are in focus your pretty much good to go within reason (the full body in focus is almost never needed and often and unreasonable expectation. Like i said, elite technical fanatics )

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
I'm generally pretty tough on photos myself, especially insect macros which have to be just about perfect .
Not all of us are John Hallmen
Flickr: johnhallmen's Photostream

give us some slack

08-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, I tried again, one Jeff thought was PEG quality, but they shot it down too. I'm not unhappy this time, I think I've decided what some people think is a good PEG photo, isn't but it does not matter, I know it's a good shot.

I agree. This is a very good shot. I think the biggest issue is that there are getting to be so many insect shots in the PEG that the judges look for any minor flaw to justify voting no (insect fatigue on their part). This image is as good or better than several insects already inhibiting the PEG IMHO.

Tim
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #393
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Tanner and Tim.
08-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I agree. This is a very good shot. I think the biggest issue is that there are getting to be so many insect shots in the PEG that the judges look for any minor flaw to justify voting no (insect fatigue on their part). This image is as good or better than several insects already inhibiting the PEG IMHO.

Tim
6 of the last 9 are macro's! Wow i didn't realize that...... and I was considering uploading a few too

08-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #395
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't realize that either. I haven't seen that many macros of bugs, mostly of flowers. And my macros are no where as good as yours, Tanner.
08-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #396
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

While it is true that the only person who has to 'approve' of a photograph's value is the photographer himself/herself, there is more to a photograph's merit when it comes to having it approved in a specific gallery. It may also be that the photographer is his/her own worst critic, there are also times when the photographer is his/her own greatest fan. It is important to appreciate this to avoid disappointment when expectations are not met.

Here are a few questions that come to mind when self-critiquing photographic work after deciding an image has a shot at any gallery:
What makes this shot unique, different, separated from the rest of the shots I see of the same genre?
Can this image be captured, arranged, lit, processed or otherwise to make it into a work of art more than other photographs featuring this subject?
Do I see my photograph featuring on the cover of a popular magazine?
Do my images in this genre compare well to that of my peers? (and it is prudent to be truthful to oneself in this regard)

Peer opinion is a good thing, however it too can be swayed by pleasantries and the discomfort in providing honest critique to the photographer. This makes the PEG voting process somewhat more objective, but not necessarily optimal. Nevertheless, it is good to keep this perspective when submitting images for any peer-reviewed gallery.
08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #397
Inactive Account

Sorry Ash, there are images in the PEG that do not meet any of those criteria, Of Bugs among other things. Some of which I know were rejected, resubmitted with little or no apparent change, then approved even though they are just as mediocre as the original submissions.

08-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #398
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I take your point Jeff, but that's how *I* see PEG. If it were up to me, then *many* of the images in PEG would not have been approved. But it's not up to me, it's a consensus decision from the panel of judges. And of course, judges have their own appeal and appreciation of photographic art, which complicates matters - but this has been said many times before in this thread...

In the end, if one is to have a good shot at getting a PEG acceptance, then I'd suggest putting the image through that litmus test of self-critique.
08-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If it were up to me, then *many* of the images in PEG would not have been approved.
+1

It is fine to have high standards. But to let some obviously mediocre shots through while rejecting clearly better ones, is highly frustrating for those rejected.
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #400
Veteran Member

I gave up on PEG a while ago, its seems like if its not a macro or a bird shot the judges wont like it.
08-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I gave up on PEG a while ago, its seems like if its not a macro or a bird shot the judges wont like it.
in that case no macro uploads to the PEG from me I don't want my acceptance to be because its a macro or its a bird shot but rather because its a fantastic image etc. I work incredibly hard on my macro's and take it personally when people make it sound like macro's are "easy" and a "cheap" way to get into a gallery or win a contest etc. For the record, my studio stacks take anywhere from 5-8 HOURS total to complete. Thats one image....

Just because its close up doesn't mean its good.

edit: For the record, I love your photographs and their inherent "style" that is easily recognizable..... I see no reason why your best shouldn't make it
08-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #402
Veteran Member

Im not at all saying its easy to do macro, and Ive done a fair bit of it myself (reverse stacking) and know how hard it is! And how long the stacking process is! In fact its probably one of the hardest types of photography to do. I didnt intend to offend any macro shooter or bird shooter.
All im saying is that the judging panel seems to prefer macro photography or bird photography....

Prehaps most of submissions are the from those genres?

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 08-04-2011 at 09:25 PM.
08-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #403
Veteran Member

Firstly - let me say up front I know I have nothing worthwhile to even try with since the images I do post garner so little response I figure they aren't at all 'special' anyway - except to myself . And ultimately thats all that matters I guess. Sure - it'd be nice to have a "Wow" factor image.. but I dont see it happening any time soon.

But I can wholeheartedly see why people would feel .. well.. let down.

Looking at the first page of the gallery one could easily make the erroneous assumption all Pentax Owners do is shoot Flowers, Birds and Bugs, with the occasional City/Landscape thrown in (clearly as we transited to or from where we shot all our Flowers, Birds and Bugs... ) Surely Pentax can produce fine images of 'other' Things ? The first portrait (of a person) doesn't appear until Page 2 - and it was posted back in January...

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I gave up on PEG a while ago, its seems like if its not a macro or a bird shot the judges wont like it
I reckon if any of the judges are reading - that should ring out loud and clear. Its a shame that people with some definite worthy contributions to PEG are at the point of not bothering because it appears so slanted against them even getting a look in.

Based on the variety of images that I've seen around the site compared to whats in PEG - I can see why people feel that its value has decreased - or at least its relevance. I know I only bothered looking at the gallery twice this year - once in March and again today... because I already get tons of Macros and Wildlife around here and flickr....

Anyway... I'll trundle off now.... that's enough dribble from the Peanut Gallery...

Last edited by adr1an; 08-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.
08-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #404
Veteran Member

Well I'm going to attempt to take a worthwhile non-bird/macro and get it accepted. Thats my goal now hahahaha. Now when to find time, and where to take the proposed gallery worthy shots is the question..... hmmmm why can't any pentaxians live near me :ugh:
08-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #405
Veteran Member

As to the bird and macro... That really is 75% of the submissions.