Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pri:

Why would a longer exposure have resulted in overexposure? I could not see the EXIF data on the image, so I do not know what f stop you were working with (maybe f8??). Therefore stopping down would have accomplished this, or maybe the use of ND filters if need be. A 2-4 second exposure might be enough to "mist" the water.

Regards,

03-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #467

Photos: Gallery
No it wouldn't. This IS a 4 s exposure. Yes, ND filter should have worked to get longer exposure (as always). Stopping down from f8 to f11 or f16 would have been possible as well, thats certainly true. Comment said 'longer exposure' no mention of stopping down or filter.
And still I would have had the 'flat colours'...

Prieni
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #468
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Prieni,
This is my 2c worth.
The shot presented is indeed quite pleasant and 'nice'. I personally don't find it 'exclusive' for similar reasons I have mentioned a number of times before in this thread. The brilliance I would expect from an exclusive image would leave me s a viewer saying 'wow' and make me want to look deeper into the image for further appreciation. As it is, this image does not quite do that for me, and I don't believe PP would add enough value in this regard IMO, because the subject matter itself and rendition haven't the kind of awe-invoking impression I'd want to see in a spectacular image that displays creative or artistic ingenuity.
03-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #469

Fair enough, Ash. But at that expectation of creative or artistic ingenuity I wouldn't expect any landscape or city shot depicting a realistic image to get the thumbs up.
If that are the criteria for the Exclusive Gallery then I better understand that all my attempts so far have been declined.
And I do see some in that gallery fulfilling your criteria.

Prieni

03-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #470
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Not all voters agree on what they think should be an Exclusive image - that was just a way of explaining my own thoughts on what should make it. I have seen a number of awesome, breath-taking landscapes that are certainly no run-of-the-mill captures or moments presented both here and on other galleries that no doubt a Pentax camera can capture. I do see such images often on places like 1x.com and NatGeo, and I'm not saying PEG should reflect this caliber (though it would be nice), but at least it gives an indication of what elements and features of an excellent image that would get approved.
03-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #471

Ash, I was referring (tongue-in-cheek) to your comment on artistic ingenuity. I do agree that there are fantastic landscape shots, and they certainly fulfil the WOW requirement but artistic ingenuity is no requirement for taking such shots (unless you find that getting the composition right does show ingenuity).

It seems to me that it is easier to get an image accepted at 1x than in the Exclusive Gallery here, at least for me (though I think I haven't tried here my measly two acceptances at 1x). At times the feedback leaves me puzzled and I guess I'm not alone in that. That is why we tried to come up with a (light hearted) list of requirements a few pages back.

I think I mentioned it earlier: At the end of the day the images in the Exclusive Gallery are mostly extremely good pictures so the judges must get something right.

Also on the positive side the recent feedback was a bit more detailed. I'll continue to try and see it as a challenge; won't loose any sleep over it.

Prieni
03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #472
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

None of my own PEG images were accepted in the 1x.com gallery and I can appreciate why. Those guys take photography to the next level and I admire their work greatly.
PEG sure is a good gallery but I agree that it's not the pinnacle of photography, and thus not one to feel the need to get a sense of achievement from.

03-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #473
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prieni Quote
Comment: "nice, but too much water (dark foreground). More sky would be more dynamic or longer exposure to give more reflection effect light from the buildings.

Flat colours with ineffective use of negative space below. But still a very nice photograph.

I like it a lot. But it feels a bit abruptly cut off left hand side."
Prieni,

Here is my impression of the image. The water works for me. There is enough reflected light on the water to act as leading lines. I also think that the exposure and sky is spot on.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you to consider. I think the image could be straightened a little (rotate to the right). I would also crop it to a 4x6 ratio, making sure that the left side doesn't cut a building in half. This will also end up cropping part of the water and some from the right side, which seems to anchor that side a bit stronger. The last thing is to add a little it of Unsharp Mask (radius = 0.75 and strength = 75%). With all that said, here is what it would look like.

A very nice image.

Tim
03-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #474

Thanks Tim,

I see where you come from. Agree with the crop on the left but on the right I feel that you loose the connection to the sea. The additional sharpening did help (though I think the uploader changed my upload as the version I uploaded looks crisper than the one displayed when right clicking and selecting view image; FxIF says "CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100", my JPGs are created using Photoshop CS (yes, that old version without any number).
That said, your version is a bit crisper still.
Are you sure about the rotation? I fiddled around with perspective correction and thought I had the verticals sorted. I may be wrong, though.
Thanks for reassuring me about the water, I thought there is something wrong with my monitor (or eyesight) .

Prieni
03-15-2012, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #475
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my own reject. On the basis of the lone commenter explaining the image's 'faults' it is understandable that the shadowing on the petal on the right side is distracting and the motif was a 'well-worn' one that didn't make this photo stand out.

03-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #476

Hey Ash, did you ask him or her how they felt you should better control the sun? Or did that judge expect that you sould have bent that particular petal into a more "pleasable pose" prior to taking the photo? Do these judges ever get outside in nature with a camera and try to take a photo in the real world with the sun and weather lending their "help" to the photo? I see the judges still haven't found reality yet after the time I've been gone from viewing this area....
03-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #477
Veteran Member

Hey, these are all nice shots.
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Not so helpful to get a rejection without comments. Without trying to guess what it is that PEG judges like, for myself I'd like to see this with more emphasis on the foreground and less on the sky. To me the subject here is very much the receding rails and also the reflected light and suggestion of falling into ruin. The sky overwhelms this. Here's my take, perhaps extreme both as contrast adjustment and crop (and the masking of the skyline is not perfect), but a different look:
Much better shadow detail!
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #479
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
Hey Ash, did you ask him or her how they felt you should better control the sun?
There is no provision for requesting feedback from judges, and the answer to that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter that the sun cannot be controlled - what matters is the end result. If the result isn't up to scratch according to the judges then it won't get a favourable vote.

Or did that judge expect that you sould have bent that particular petal into a more "pleasable pose" prior to taking the photo?
If that's what it takes to get an even better result, then it'd be a reasonable expectation. I didn't consider it myself personally, but that's what makes people's appreciation of an image different.

Do these judges ever get outside in nature with a camera and try to take a photo in the real world with the sun and weather lending their "help" to the photo?
The answer to that is yes. Sometimes it's serendipity that gives a photographer the near 'perfect' result under natural conditions - sometimes it needs a little help. Either way, again, it's the final result that matters, not how it's achieved.

We can be a little too critical of the judges - you should check out places like 1x.com and see the standard of work they admit to their gallery...
03-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Another reject to my collection...

Windows

I might not have posted this except that in amongst the positive judges' comments I had two which are interesting. Here are the two comments:

Very creative, but there this is is closer to being visual art than a photograph.

Heavily post-processed, making it look a little too unnatural, and too much unstructured negative space in the image.

I can't take issue the "unstructured negative space" because I debated with myself about it before submitting the photo, deciding in the end to emphasize the windows, both in the car and the garage. However, the "closer to visual art" and "heavily post-processed" are amusing, in a way. Other than a crop, resize, an alteration to curves, and a clone to remove a distracting bright spot in the car body, I didn't do any PP. The car windshield was delaminated by the missile which cracked it, and that in combination with the tinting of the glass caused the odd patterns and colors. Here is the uncropped but resized and un-PP version:

The original was much sharper than the uncropped version suggests. You can see what the windshield is doing to bring out the dramatic sky.

Is it possible that reality can sometimes be too close to visual art?

V Nice. I think I like the first one best. I'd hang it up if I had some wall space.