Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 'judges' have never given me any Comments as to Why they were rejected. They just end up in galleries I did not submit them in. I've given up, just like with the PPG.

Frankly, I don't give a shit why they were rejected. The exclusive gallery seemed to fast become another place for bug macros and sunsets and I really don't pay much attention to it anymore.

01-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #62
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The 'judges' have never given me any Comments as to Why they were rejected. They just end up in galleries I did not submit them in. I've given up, just like with the PPG.

Frankly, I don't give a shit why they were rejected. The exclusive gallery seemed to fast become another place for bug macros and sunsets and I really don't pay much attention to it anymore.
Go easy, Jeff.
Firstly, there's little excuse for no comments on rejects - so apologies for that (I haven't seen either of these entries myself).

Entries that don't make it to PEG automatically get filed under the appropriate user photo gallery category. You can find out where by going to the PEG Approval page here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status

As for your irate opinion regarding the PEG, I don't believe it's justified. PEG is only as good as its submissions. Complaining that all it features are insects and sunsets is not only untrue but irrelevant. Furthermore, your own entries are not far from your own criticism of what PEG has become - and indeed I do see issues with both images, which is clear you're not interested in knowing about.
01-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Go easy, Jeff.
Firstly, there's little excuse for no comments on rejects - so apologies for that (I haven't seen either of these entries myself).

Entries that don't make it to PEG automatically get filed under the appropriate user photo gallery category. You can find out where by going to the PEG Approval page here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/galleryapprove.php?do=status

As for your irate opinion regarding the PEG, I don't believe it's justified. PEG is only as good as its submissions. Complaining that all it features are insects and sunsets is not only untrue but irrelevant. Furthermore, your own entries are not far from your own criticism of what PEG has become - and indeed I do see issues with both images, which is clear you're not interested in knowing about.
Ash, I'm talking of the last time I paid any attention to the PEG. I've made 5 entries, all of which were rejected and put into galleries I did not intend them to be placed in. If I wanted them there, I would have Put them there. I leave them to not be spiteful. It is as simple as that.

You are correct, I no longer care about the opinions of 'the judges'. At the time it seemed crystal clear to me, the preferences of 'the judges'. Whether you agree or not, is on you. Whether you believe it justified, again, is on you. To me, it became a waste of time because there was no feedback on Any of my submissions. An oversight, I consider to be BS especially if Others were receiving feedback..

Oh, and Trust me. I'm going VERY easy.

01-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #64
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Ash, I'm talking of the last time I paid any attention to the PEG. I've made 5 entries, all of which were rejected and put into galleries I did not intend them to be placed in. If I wanted them there, I would have Put them there. I leave them to not be spiteful. It is as simple as that.
As above, this is a way of dealing with PEG rejects - instead of deleting them, they are placed into personal galleries that aren't difficult to locate after learning of their rejection. I don't see why this is made to be such an issue - if you don't want them there, just delete them; there's nothing to be spiteful about. I'm assuming you're not upset about your entries not getting through.

QuoteQuote:

You are correct, I no longer care about the opinions of 'the judges'. At the time it seemed crystal clear to me, the preferences of 'the judges'. Whether you agree or not, is on you. Whether you believe it justified, again, is on you. To me, it became a waste of time because there was no feedback on Any of my submissions. An oversight, I consider to be BS especially if Others were receiving feedback..

\
Again, I'm sure this is not a personal issue - some judges may not be providing any feedback and this is out of anyone's control other than the judges themselves. I am certain I have never seen any of your entries come through the approval panel as I always provide feedback, even for 'yes' votes. But no longer caring and not being interested in PEG is your prerogative, and PEG's loss...

01-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #65
Inactive Account

Personal or not, it doesn't matter anymore. Atupdate asked to see the rejects and the reasons given for the rejection. I showed a couple of mine and stated the reasons given... none.

01-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is a B&W conversion tutorial I found very helpful. I use the channel mixer method the most.

Methods of Black and White Conversion - Tutorials

I think the over exposure comment comes from the lack of detail in the top of the wall he is sitting on.

Tim
Thanks for the info Tim I already use the channel mixer technique for all my BWs, including the fisherman above. Interesting point about the wall too, it looks fine to me but always interesting to hear another viewpoint.

Regards,

Another Tim
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #67
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

And another of the bush cricket not through because it looks too much like a stock image and would be better in its natural environment. Can't argue with that:

01-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #68
Veteran Member

My latest reject, after 4 days and 15 hours of deliberations

Comments:
- Interesting scene, but B&W tonal rendition lacks adequate contrast and texture yet also clips the sky highlights. Little to draw the viewer's attention.
- Comes across as a snapshot more than anything. Angles would be very restricted, nevertheless. I think I would prefer in colour.
- Nice scene but the boats and people are so small they become a distraction. If you could have waited until they cleared or got closer the image would have worked well.
- Nice framing.
- love the shot but the shot needs straightening
- I would crop more to the left.

Some very odd ones in there Apparently this shot isn't straight and is just a snapshot! Oh yes, and my BW conversion lacks contrast and texture ...

Just to be clear about this, comments like the ones about the people being too small and cropping the left are fair enough, everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. However comments that are simply nonsense, like saying this 'needs straightening' and that the highlights are clipped, just tell me that some of the 'judges' aren't looking at the images very carefully.

(Apropos of nothing at all, this image is one of my PPG Premiere Collection images - funny how people's opinions differ so much eh?)

Last edited by thoughton; 01-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.
01-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #69
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote

Comments:
- Interesting scene, but B&W tonal rendition lacks adequate contrast and texture yet also clips the sky highlights. Little to draw the viewer's attention.
- Comes across as a snapshot more than anything. Angles would be very restricted, nevertheless. I think I would prefer in colour.
- Nice scene but the boats and people are so small they become a distraction. If you could have waited until they cleared or got closer the image would have worked well.
- Nice framing.

Some very odd ones in there Apparently this shot isn't straight and is just a snapshot! Oh yes, and my BW conversion lacks contrast and texture ...

Just to be clear about this, comments like the ones about the people being too small and cropping the left are fair enough, everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. However comments that are simply nonsense, like saying this 'needs straightening' and that the highlights are clipped, just tell me that some of the 'judges' aren't looking at the images very carefully.

(Apropos of nothing at all, this image is one of my PPG Premiere Collection images - funny how people's opinions differ so much eh?)

I guess the buildings aren't straight either. The windows on the left being parallel to the edge and all. Maybe if you photoshopped in some film grain it would give more texture.

I see a lot of snapshot looking photos in both PEG and PPG. Somebody must have just been having a bad day.

I'll admit that I don't know how to increase contrast on a photo that goes from near full black, to near full white.

01-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Personal or not, it doesn't matter anymore. Atupdate asked to see the rejects and the reasons given for the rejection. I showed a couple of mine and stated the reasons given... none.

Jeff,

I think they just started commenting on the rejects in the last couple of months or so. Have you submitted anything lately?
01-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Comments:
- Nice framing.

I'm scratching my head on this one.

Tim
01-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I'm scratching my head on this one.

Tim
Me too. Some of these comments are repetitious and nonsensical to the point that some of the judges seem to need their monitors calibrated.
We are at least getting feedback now so that is an improvement.
01-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #73
Inactive Account

Jeff,

I think they just started commenting on the rejects in the last couple of months or so. Have you submitted anything lately?
No, I haven't. Given some of the comments I'm reading here, there isn't much point in it for me. 'The Judges' who like the photo and presumably voted it in, commented, and were apparently over-ruled by 'the judges' who voted No and, from some of what I'm reading, didn't have the balls to say why. I believe that judging panel ought to be rethought, guidelines given, and those who cannot follow those guidelines, booted out.

I put the first rejection up in the critique section back when I still thought I cared. While the people who commented had valid points about the photo, it was clear to me that what pleases one, doesn't please all. What pleases many, will not please the other few (that was clear all along).

So I'll let the 'experts' tell me.. a recent photo...

Does it have a chance? or is somebody going to cry because the house is in the center of the photo?

01-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #74
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

However comments that are simply nonsense, like saying this 'needs straightening' and that the highlights are clipped, just tell me that some of the 'judges' aren't looking at the images very carefully.

Whilst I don't see any crooked horizon here, the sky highlights are a definite distraction.
I have also seen PPG Premiere Collection images that I wonder how they even made the straight PPG gallery, but yes, such is life and our diversity of opinion.
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #75
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Me too. Some of these comments are repetitious and nonsensical to the point that some of the judges seem to need their monitors calibrated.
We are at least getting feedback now so that is an improvement.
But is it an improvement when there's so much discontentment in the feedback provided?