Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I do not see the cause for concern here - never have I stated that artistic creativity is overshadowed or is not important compared to technical competence. At almost every opportunity I continually assert that *both* are essential to excellent photography. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule, as with one-in-a-million moments, but *generally* it is important for effective work to render subjects sharply and follow the simple guideline of having a subject, a background, and nothing else. The PEG approval page makes it clear: All photos must stand out in terms of composition, and also be flawless technically.
I can sort of see where jheu02 is coming from. I distinctly remember the PEG being announced, and it was for 10, and only 10, shots from every member of the forum. The way the announcements were written made it sound like it was each person's 10 best shots, no matter what their standard of photography was. Having said that, I must say I prefer it to be based on a standardised level of quality they way it is now. If only there was more consistency in the judging! I don't want to name names but some of the successful entries are diabolical on the 'technically flawless' front.

01-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
...If only there was more consistency in the judging! I don't want to name names but some of the successful entries are diabolical on the 'technically flawless' front.
I have to agree with this. Encouraged by someone's successful entry of a similar subject, I entered one of my own that was an unusual capture, and here were some of the comments for my rejection:

Busy background

...isn't sharp enough ... looks like there's some motion blur.

Lacks clarity and contrast.

I can take exception to all of these in my photo, but they would be quibbles. And they could also be equally applied to the other photographer's photo which was accepted.

No bitter feelings here, by the way. Just bemusement, and I am glad the other person's photo was accepted because I like it quite a lot.

Last edited by Tamia; 01-27-2011 at 04:59 AM.
01-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #108
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed there is an element of truth in all this, and unfortunately it's very difficult to standardise voting with the current system (randomly assigned voters to submissions). If there is standardisation by having the same judges using clearly defined criteria, then there may be the very phenomenon we're all wishing to avert: a loss of the subjectiveness of artistic photography - submitters just looking to gain admission to PEG by simply meeting the 'assessment criteria' according to the 'rules' laid out by the standardisation.

You know, in the end, PEG is as presented - a gallery of images admitted by a democratic vote by imperfect volunteer judges (and who isn't?) that is only as good as the input provided by those judges.

And another example:

After a couple of different versions submitted with adjustments made according to suggestions - "This one doesn't look like it's going to get through - noise is the problem now"
I do see this and reserve to agree.
01-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #109
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yay, more rejections :P

The comments on 3 of them were fair enough, just differences in opinion. This one I can sort of see where a couple of comments are coming from, but not entirely. I do have to wonder if comments like 'bright red' merely indicate poor descriptive skills or a poorly calibrated monitor.

Does anyone else think this is too dark?

- Distracting cord at bottom of frame.
- Otherwise interesting arrangement and lighting of an ordinary scene.
- not really interesting to me. The bright red portions on the bottom are distracting and draw my eyes there.
- Close, but just a bit too dark
Some subjective comments indeed, such is life - personally I don't think 'darkness' nor the 'redness' are the problem with this image, but the cord is a big imperfection IMO, significant enough to swing an opinion of the overall shot.

01-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I didn't know it was randomly selected judges. If we resubmit does it always go back to the same judges? (I guess the answer is probably 'no' due to difficulties keeping track of who judged what).

Thanks for the opinion on the stairs image, I think I will darken that lowest support strut and see how it gets on as a resubmission.
01-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Warhol

Here is one from last week. The original image is the top left corner.

Comments:

- Very nice piece of art, but not really a photo in the classical sense.

- Image imperfections evident around tomato stalk (JPEG artefacts). Good idea, though.

- Where's Andy (Warholl)?

- ?

- I didn't like Andy Warhol either. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Not straight out of the camera enough for them I guess.

Tim
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinion on the stairs image, I think I will darken that lowest support strut and see how it gets on as a resubmission.
A square crop would remove most of the bright area on the bottom and would leave only a little darkening on the far right side of a couple of steps to complete. You might also want to sharpen it just a little after you resize it for posting.

I really like this image. Well spotted.

Tim

01-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is one from last week. The original image is the top left corner.

Comments:

- Very nice piece of art, but not really a photo in the classical sense.

- Image imperfections evident around tomato stalk (JPEG artefacts). Good idea, though.

- Where's Andy (Warholl)?

- ?

- I didn't like Andy Warhol either. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Not straight out of the camera enough for them I guess.

Tim
Really cool
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Really cool
Thanks. The interesting part was that after masking the areas I wanted to keep original, the color change was achieved with a simple hue shift.

Tim
01-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Thanks. The interesting part was that after masking the areas I wanted to keep original, the color change was achieved with a simple hue shift.

Tim
Interesting! Definite inspiration for future "rainy day" photography
01-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim,

Not having seen the original, I can't comment on artifacts, etc. I would have to say from a "single" photograph standpoint, I agree, it doesn't quite fit for an electronic gallery. I could definitely see it on an actual gallery wall, either in it's current format, or as single photos, hung in series. Great work!
01-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Tim,

Not having seen the original, I can't comment on artifacts, etc. I would have to say from a "single" photograph standpoint, I agree, it doesn't quite fit for an electronic gallery. I could definitely see it on an actual gallery wall, either in it's current format, or as single photos, hung in series. Great work!
I didn't expect it to make it into the gallery. I just thought it would be a fun image to post in this thread. I also have a six color version that I printed for my wall. Makes for great wallpaper for my laptop.

Tim
01-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #118
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They're cleverly done Tim, and both definitely a worthy wall photo - though truly not quite fitting in with PEG. Again, this is where disputable lines are drawn between good work that is and isn't suitable for PEG.
02-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #119
Veteran Member

- Subject of image too small in the frame to appreciate it well. The hazy capture is not much to look at.
- Nice mood, very subtle!
- Just love it - typical for the weather here, this winter :-)!

The first comment made me smile. Perhaps I should have zoomed in on the man, and waited until a sunny day
02-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #120
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it isn't a bad image at all.
Just a matter of deciding whether it is 'exclusive' material or not... that's harder to agree upon.
Just keep the good entries going and don't be disheartened over the imperfections of the system.