Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #196
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Too flat/dark

Voted yes

Nice sharpness front to back

Should have been closer in. Did not need the entire blossom.

02-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Jeff,

You gonna try a vertical crop and resubmit? Might be worth a try and it really wouldn't take much time.

I would also suggest you do a mirror flip so his face will be towards that camera.

Tim
02-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest rejects. The first I had posted a link to a couple pages back, but decided to delete that post and instead include it here with the comments. I guess the thing about abstracts is that they're not for everyone, and must not be what the gallery is looking for. (my comments in bold)

What's the point?

It's pleasant capture that ticks just about all the boxes for technical excellence and creative framing. The curves complement the image. The only issue with the image is that the subject matter itself has no 'wow' factor expected from that of an 'exclusive' image.

Nice study of shape line and form. Great sharpness on the marble (?).

Screen in the BG a bit of a distraction.

i said yes but think a portrait crop would have been better.

My comments in response are: what's the point of any photo other than to convey an image, whether capturing an actual scene, or looking at the interplay of lines and shapes. But like I said, abstracts aren't for eveybody. I can see the point about the screen, but I looked at it as adding a little texture to an otherwise empty background.

Now this next shot's where judges' comments I feel are contradictory and/or getting confused with other images or are making assumptions that shouldn't be made when judging. Unless an image is resubmitted, shouldn't it be judged on its own merits and not be compared to others?

Very nice B&W photo!

Good sharp image. Nice B&W processing. Technically sound photo. Being a matter of 'exclusivity' is a more difficult issue to resolve - what the image lacks is the interest to have the viewer captivated by the content. It's a striking rendition with good perspective and use of DoF, but does not seem to invoke intrigue and meaning as hoped.

Nice detail of the original image.

Huh? What original image, this is the original image!

Needs more DoF

What about the good perspective and use of DoF just mentioned?

Original image had a stronger composition.

Again, what original image and why is this photo being compared to a different image and not judged on its own merits/flaws. These two images are different enough to realize that this isn't just a crop of the first abstract I entered. Also, wouldn't a "technically sound photo...a striking rendition with good perspective" by definition include good or "strong" composition?

Interesting!

Looks familiar Yes Vote!

I have other abstracts, but why bother? If all the technical boxes are filled already, it's obvious that the judges aren't looking for this type of photo for the gallery.
02-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #199
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Jeff,

You gonna try a vertical crop and resubmit? Might be worth a try and it really wouldn't take much time.

I would also suggest you do a mirror flip so his face will be towards that camera.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. I've been playing with square format lately, I guess it's not everybodys cup, except those experienced with 6x6 format. A vertical crop gets me tighter and gives it a different view but it gets to the point where the photo is too small for submission. Especially if I do as one suggested and show mostly the bee. I'll play with it and see what I come up with. Mirror doesn't make him face the camera, just the other direction. Maybe it's just because I know what it originally looked like but a mirror also makes it look unnatural.

To the one who said, Voted Yes, Thank you.

02-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #200
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And one from me here:

Mostly praise feedback, like sharp, good perspective; but the only negative point made: more DoF would be better on wings.
02-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #201
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And one for me. Tough judges this week I guess.

Judges Comments:

Very nice shadows here. A slightly larger resolution would be nice to see, however.

Excellent, Voted yes

Nice lighting and contrasts. Great sharpness and use of the wide angle to accentuate perspective.

Interesting relic, but little in the way of creativity or 'wow' factor in this one. Otherwise a good rendition

Tim

PS: Interesting comment about the resolution. I only post at 900 pixels max since we have no option to delete the image after it makes the gallery or any other control either. I figure 900 pixels is large enough for a 4x6 print but to download it for anything larger won't look that good.

Last edited by atupdate; 02-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.
02-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #202
Inactive Account

I'm kind of surprised that one didn't make it.

02-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #203
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Mirror doesn't make him face the camera, just the other direction.
That's why I used the "Confused" smiley face after the suggestion. I was auditioning to be a judge and I needed one more comment to meet the minimum number required for the application. <-- This is the roll eyes sarcastically smiley
02-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #204
Inactive Account

That's why I used the "Confused" smiley face after the suggestion. I was auditioning to be a judge and I needed one more comment to meet the minimum number required for the application. <-- This is the roll eyes sarcastically smiley

Actually I was talking about your flying tiger photo. I'm never shocked when mine don't get into these galleries (I have to admit though, for a second I did try to make the bee face the camera ).

02-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #205
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah Tim, I raised this issue before - with nothing done about it...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/79622-suggest...sarcastic.html
02-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yeah Tim, I raised this issue before - with nothing done about it...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/79622-suggest...sarcastic.html
I missed that thread. It actually made me laugh out loud.

Tim
02-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Bandon in the Fog

Here is my latest reject which received the following comments. My comments in red.

Too much stuff. I would crop more than 50% from the bottom - that gives you a striking panorama! I really wanted the reflections in there but could have cropped to where they began. If I had wanted a panorama I would have done one.

Very nice "emptiness" shot! OK but does that mean it got a yes?

This is a pleasant scene with good subject matter but lacks impact due to being of low contrast. The naturalness of the scene is OK but the debris at image bottom right is unfortunately distracting. It was really foggy and I guess I just don't know how to capture fog. The debris is detritus washed up on shore.

Moody blues :-)! I have no idea what this means

Stunning, love the light and moment captured. Voted yes.

Pretty well exposed moody shot. Doesn't particularly appeal to me but others will probably like it. Just because the subject doesn't appeal to the judge, does it mean it is a lousy shot? It was well exposed and moody but not good? I don't care much for portraits but I can still recognize a good one when I see it and can give a vote of approval.

I really thought this one had a good chance but it is back to the old drawing board.
02-22-2011, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #208
Veteran Member

Susan,

Nothing personal. I don't find the shot "exclusive". Now, it has plenty of potential. Maybe try a B&W conversion and bump the contrast a bit. I feel that whatever color is left here, it makes the image muddy.

Again, just my humble observation.
02-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestion Voytech. Wish the judges had been that helpful. I'll give it a try in B&W.
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #210
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Susan,

The more I look at the rejects in this thread and the images in the gallery, the more convinced I become that the judges prefer nature (landscapes and animals) and macro shots. There are images in the gallery that don't fit in those categories but those images are rare.

I think I will go take a look at some calendars at the book store for some inspiration.

Tim