Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know what you mean Tim. Most of the time I am sure they aren't looking for what I photograph.

02-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #212
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks for the suggestion Voytech. Wish the judges had been that helpful. I'll give it a try in B&W.
Susan, do bear in mind that the feedback process is not designed to provide critique - but if you get it, great. The image may get some useful feedback if a judge feels it could be improved simply for the chance to get in on a resubmit, but this is not mandatory. If you're looking for critique, consider posting your image to the Photo Critique forum.
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you're looking for critique, consider posting your image to the Photo Critique forum.
This is all well and good Ash but the game is to understand what the judges like/dislike, not what the general population of the forum likes/dislikes. I think my recent reject has more wow factor than half of the images I have accepted in the PEG. I find the lighting and the perspective to be very interesting but the judges think otherwise.

I would love to know who the judges are and take a look at their album/gallery images. It would provide a big hint on what type of images to submit.

Again, submitting to the PEG is a game and acceptance/rejection to the gallery in no way defines the worth of an image. But the game is more fun when you understand the rules.

Tim
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #214
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
This is all well and good Ash but the game is to understand what the judges like/dislike, not what the general population of the forum likes/dislikes. I think my recent reject has more wow factor than half of the images I have accepted in the PEG. I find the lighting and the perspective to be very interesting but the judges think otherwise.

I would love to know who the judges are and take a look at their album/gallery images. It would provide a big hint on what type of images to submit.

Again, submitting to the PEG is a game and acceptance/rejection to the gallery in no way defines the worth of an image. But the game is more fun when you understand the rules.

Tim
Feel free to look.

QuoteQuote:
Pretty well exposed moody shot. Doesn't particularly appeal to me but others will probably like it.
The person who wrote this, voted it In. Go ahead and ask me how I know that. Don't make the same mistake I did and make assumptions about what you THINK you know.

By the guideline given, that states something to the effect of if it is unappealing to You, it may still be worthy. Judge first on technical perfection, then feeling.

Oh, and Tim, for what it's worth, there are no comments on your flying tiger photo from me. It came across with 6 or 7 other submissions, and immediately popped out at me. I love the subject matter, the history behind it, and thought it very well captured. Instant approval check box on my computer.

02-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #215
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Feel free to look.
Someone raised their hand. That's worth a couple of rep points from me and I will take a look. Thanks for the invite.

QuoteQuote:
The person who wrote this, voted it In. Go ahead and ask me how I know that. Don't make the same mistake I did and make assumptions about what you THINK you know.

By the guideline given, that states something to the effect of if it is unappealing to You, it may still be worthy. Judge first on technical perfection, then feeling.
I'm assuming you are talking to the judge that made the comment.

QuoteQuote:
Oh, and Tim, for what it's worth, there are no comments on your flying tiger photo from me. It came across with 6 or 7 other submissions, and immediately popped out at me. I love the subject matter, the history behind it, and thought it very well captured. Instant approval check box on my computer.
Thank you again.

Tim
02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #216
Inactive Account

ALL of my Gallery photos are PEG rejects. All but the last one (the flower with the bee) came back rejected, unexplained by anyone. Feel free to comment on any of them. A couple, since I've been critically looking at other peoples photos, I can understand. Others, I'm still scratching my head about but, oh well. It isn't anything but bragging rights to get one in.

02-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #217
Inactive Account

4 hours and 56 minutes. They must have Really hated this one. My email reader is screwed up again so I don't know what if any comments there were. I think I know why it was rejected though.

02-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Here is a funny reject. I really loved this photo and thought it had a shot.
Here are the comments after the first rejection:
Beautiful- but please clone the tourists out!
Very nice overall.
People are too small and in a bad position for composition. The woman blends in too the rocks.
Try retouching them out and resubmitting.
Nice colours and clarity. As small as the people are in the scene, they seem to look out of place in the scene. This would have made the difference between yes and no.

Sounded like it had a chance so I did as asked and resubmitted it again with the corrections suggested and this is the rejection I received today.
Much cleaner
Bingo!
Nasty rod in foreground
This is a decent, soft waterfall image with good composition, but there is a distinct lack of brilliance to the image that could possibly be brought out in PP, such as with selective colour and levels/curves tools. This one may also be amenable to a vignette effect to limit the peripheral clutter from being a prominent feature of the image.

The "nasty" rod is a tree trunk. This is the resubmitted version. Too bad I got different judges this time.

Last edited by slowpez; 04-04-2011 at 07:07 AM.
02-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #219
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Susan,

I did a little playing with your image and a very shallow S-Curve on the green channel really makes a difference (tones down the yellows a bit I think). I've had to do this with my river gorge type shots before. I also added a little bit of High Pass Sharpen (radius = 0.5).

Don't give up on this image. It is gorgeous.

Tim
02-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Thanks Tim. The image is showing up a little flat here and I had already done a highpass sharpen but didn't consider toning down the yellow. I appreciate the idea.
Of course you do realize that those fixes didn't do anything about that "nasty rod" in the foreground. I really think the judge could have worded that a little better. It came across as pretty offensive to me but I have very delicate sensibilities.
03-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #221

I'm going to seek to "reach out" to Adam and suggest the creation of a specific "Rejected PEG" gallery be established where ALL of the photos that have been or are rejected from PEG would be put on display. Why do it this way you may ask? Very simple....to give the rejected photos a FAIR 2nd chance while keeping them all together for ease of viewing.

Right now the photos rejected from PEG get dumped into the general gallery where they quickly disappear into the grass and the reason(s) for rejection of each photo are not kept with the photo and posted with it to allow others to learn from. I for one would learn more by viewing the Rejected PEG area than by viewing the PEG area.

Given the totally out of control and completely erratic judging for PEG admission which has been demonstrated in this forum time and time again, this could prove more educational and enjoyable. Oh yeah, each photograph would have the judge's rejection comments posted with it. And the photographer would be allowed to post his/her story behind the photo....WHY it was taken the way it was taken.

Case in point, I believe Tim took a photo of an empty auditorium from near the back of the stage. He took that photo for a specific reason and was seeking to capture the image in a specific manner. That his intentions were not identical to what the judges thought was important, his photo was rejected even though it was an outstanding photo. But most importantly, it captured the image Tim was seeking to capture.

The most famous photographers in the world do not take a photo with the intention of pleasing some panel of unknown judges, they take the photo because it captures an image or scene that they seek to capture for a reason that they have in mind.
03-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
I'm going to seek to "reach out" to Adam and suggest the creation of a specific "Rejected PEG" gallery be established where ALL of the photos that have been or are rejected from PEG would be put on display. Why do it this way you may ask? Very simple....to give the rejected photos a FAIR 2nd chance while keeping them all together for ease of viewing.

Right now the photos rejected from PEG get dumped into the general gallery where they quickly disappear into the grass and the reason(s) for rejection of each photo are not kept with the photo and posted with it to allow others to learn from. I for one would learn more by viewing the Rejected PEG area than by viewing the PEG area.

Given the totally out of control and completely erratic judging for PEG admission which has been demonstrated in this forum time and time again, this could prove more educational and enjoyable. Oh yeah, each photograph would have the judge's rejection comments posted with it. And the photographer would be allowed to post his/her story behind the photo....WHY it was taken the way it was taken.

Case in point, I believe Tim took a photo of an empty auditorium from near the back of the stage. He took that photo for a specific reason and was seeking to capture the image in a specific manner. That his intentions were not identical to what the judges thought was important, his photo was rejected even though it was an outstanding photo. But most importantly, it captured the image Tim was seeking to capture.

The most famous photographers in the world do not take a photo with the intention of pleasing some panel of unknown judges, they take the photo because it captures an image or scene that they seek to capture for a reason that they have in mind.
So a gallery exclusively for complaining? Come on guys, this thread is getting pretty ridiculous Is getting a PEG acceptance that important?

I got one of my favorite all time images rejected, and I fussed a bit, but looking back that was quite stupid. Why should I get worked up/care about not getting an image into a forum gallery? Seriously, think about it from that perspective

Do I like the image? Yes Do other people like it? Yes, in fact I know a couple people who use it as a screen saver Did the judges love it? No Oh well....
03-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #223
Veteran Member

On the face of it, it does seem ridiculous that a stunning image like Yeatzee's spider should get rejected when some really rather average photos are being accepted. A small proportion, no doubt, yet I think everyone would agree there are some that stand out for their mediocrity and/or inexcusably low technical standard.
03-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #224
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
So a gallery exclusively for complaining? Come on guys, this thread is getting pretty ridiculous Is getting a PEG acceptance that important?

I agree. No one forces us to submit to the PEG. Yes, rejection does hurt but it is not permanent. I wouldn't want to see a gallery of rejects. Heck, I don't even keep my rejected images in my personal gallery. When you think about it, the "randomness" of the judges makes it more impressive when you can get enough yes votes to make it into the gallery.

The part I like best about this thread is that there have been a couple of rejects that have been resubmitted and accepted after additional suggestions for processing were given.

Tim
03-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
So are you one of the judges Jeff?

And you also were hoping that pic of the red rose would get in?