Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #481

Photos: Gallery
How does a person "challenge" the judging? I ask because I had a photo rejected due to "OOF" That is the entire comments for why they rejected it. I wish to challenge them because I was there and examined the particular flower that I photographed very closely. I made that examination because I wanted to know in great detail what that blossom looked like in case I did submit the photo. The image that the camera (my K100D) captured was perfectly focused upon the central stem of the flower (the central stem stands in front of the rest of the flower's bowl. The white bowl is also perfectly in focus when compared to the live specimen. Now I will acknowledge that the green leaves in the background are not sharply focused...I was not trying to have them in sharp focus since they're supposed to be subdued and not detract from the attention to the white flower blossom. On yeah, the extremely tiny black spots on the tips of the protrusions from the central stem of the flower are all in focus...and they are tie size of the point of a pin...OOF my backside!!!!

Last edited by whitelotus9; 03-19-2012 at 05:22 PM.
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #482
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whitey:

With all due respect, if you think the judge's decision was wrong you could re-submit the image. Hopefully you will get judges that have a better opinion of the image.

Regards,
03-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #483
Veteran Member

You could get your image accepted in other exclusive galleries such as the PPG Premiere Collection, 1x.com and prove the judges wrong. You can resubmit the image and hope for different judging. You could post your image on this thread and see if others consider it good enough for the PEG. But I don't think there is an appeal process.
04-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #484

Had another quick reject (surprise surprise ):

Comment: "Nice textures and depiction of dynamism. As an abstract, it doesn't quite impress, and for a landscape it lacks a point of interest."
Clearly not a seagoing fellow
There even are two points of interest on the horizon on the right, one buoy and one distant ship.

Prieni

04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prieni:

First, I do like the image, but I personally have to agree with the points mentioned by the judge for a landscape image. The points of interest you mention I cannot even find, so they are quite insignificant and would be difficult to label as points of interest. PoI can be small (see this Ansel Adams image for instance, the horse- Museuem Graphics - The Ansel Adams Store Online - 20 X 16 Matted Reproduction - Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada ), but has to be plainly and easily visible. Oh, and Adams did not notice the horse until it hit the developing trays! I want to see something in the image to anchor, to bring my eye back to and then move out from again to call a Point of Interest.

Now for an abstract, one must wonder what WOULD impress, as "it doesn't quite impress" which also means it almost impressed.

Keep trying and showing us your images. You have a unique eye!

Regards,
04-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #486

BigDave, I know that these points are hard to make out. It wasn't meant as a serious remark. I'm challenging the conventional wisdom that there has to be a point of interest; in this case I think you would end up with a lesser picture. For me it is one of the appeals out at sea that your eyes are constantly searching the horizon and don't find anything to latch on apart from waves and clouds.

Thanks for your kind words and yes, I will continue to submit images.

Prieni
04-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prieni Quote
I'm challenging the conventional wisdom
My view is that PEG is very much about conventional wisdom. (I don't mean this as a criticism, as I've elaborated earlier in this thread.) Lovely image, but I'm not surprised by the response from the PEG judges.

04-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #488

Oh, I'm certainly not surprised, either.
04-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #489
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suppose that if conventional wisdom meant images that are boldly or creatively composed that induce emotion in the viewer and have striking 'wow' elements to them, then yes PEG would be all about that. I keep looking at the wonderful photography of 1x.com and DPChallenge and think of PEG having similar benchmarks only without the need for extensive PP work, particularly to alter or manipulate subject matter in the photograph.
04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #490

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I keep looking at the wonderful photography of 1x.com and DPChallenge and think of PEG having similar benchmarks only without the need for extensive PP work, particularly to alter or manipulate subject matter in the photograph.
And where exactly do you see that need for extensive PP work in 1x.com? (Scratches head...)

Prieni
04-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #491
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no 'need' Prieni. 1x.com images are excellent in themselves. The PP I refer to includes masking, colour manipulations and texturing, etc. Much of the featured work is simply staged brilliance, such as Thuom's Impossible Time (1x.com - Impossible time. by Thoum). However I wager that more artistic work on the site such as Joan Kocak's spring (1x.com - spring! by joan kocak) and Maria Noonan's A Piece of Me (http://1x.com/photo/49510/all/latest-additions/a-piece-of-me) would not be what PEG is after.

Last edited by Ash; 04-03-2012 at 12:34 PM.
04-04-2012, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had hopes for this abstract from nature, but alas, no go:

These are a kind of moss, and each stalk is about 1 - 1.5 inches high. Shot handheld (ground level) with a Pentax 55-300mm telephoto and a Raynox DCR-150.

I had good comments from the judges, including one who thought the in-focus stem was too central to make a comfortable composition. Before submitting I had considered cropping this on a 4:3 aspect ratio, and removing some of the right side, but didn't. I think that next time I'll also use a wide open aperture rather than f/8 to get circular bokeh.
04-04-2012, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #493

Nice one Tamia, I really like it!

Had two further tries:

Comment: "Nice colors and feel to the water. Interesting lighting. Second light creates an unbalanced juxtaposition of the elements.
Nicely exposed and processed, though the subject is quite central, which loses its compositional impact and it is placed on a bland sky backdrop."

And this one, that made me quite a bit of money so far:

Comment:"Very well done! If anything, it would be nice to see more of the waves.
Great color and action. Nice use of form. Hope the camera stayed dry!
Well processed and good textures, however the subject needs more interest and the lack of a clear point of interest does make it difficult for the viewer to make a connection with the image."

EDIT: Had the wrong image for the first entry; the other one had been rejected earlier...

Last edited by Prieni; 04-05-2012 at 04:03 AM.
04-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #494

Prieni, thanks for sharing. Those are two cracking shots! Heaps of emotion and colour: just beautiful.
04-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #495

Thanks Brisboy!
Alas, not good enough for the elusive gallery. I guess I concentrate a bit more on 1x.com, far easier I start thinking it must be something else as well as the inferior quality of my submissions that keeps me out of PEG.

Prieni