Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #496
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just had a look through the latest acceptances, I see we've had some retroactive acceptances again. The Hummingbird by J-Rod was the final acceptance the last time I visited the PEG, but now I see that two photos by Varyabol have been inserted before the Hummingbird. I know this because I make a point of rating every single PEG photo, and I have not rated the two by Varyabol.

The last time this happened the photos in question were mistakenly put into the PEG, has that happened again?

(cc'ed to Adam)

Last edited by thoughton; 04-05-2012 at 04:07 AM.
04-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #497
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps it took longer for the judges to come to a consensus for those delayed images.
04-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #498
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Prieni and Tamia,

I would be pleased to have any of your recent rejects hanging on my walls. Great colors and artistically very appealing. These are the type of shots that people would cross the room to have a closer look at. I'm starting to question the credentials of the judges.

Tim
04-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #499

Thanks Tim!
I wouldn't question the credentials of the judges, judging is a difficult business and judging images can never be done purely objective.

When I look through the selection in PEG I see some (most) shots where it is easy to see why they are selected. Some of the insect shots are not at the same level (in my book). Insects and birds seem to get in with more ease than other subjects. Also I can see some badly PP'ed shots that made it in.
So from the images in the PEG it is not possible to deduce the set of criteria that the judging is founded on (apart from the criterion "when the image is by Prieni it doesn't go in", of course ). And the same with the images shown in this thread. Look at Tamia's "Skeletal" on the first page of this thread. Breathtakingly good. Tanner Yates shots of the spider and praying mantis (page 3) are far better than some of the insect shots that made it (so I have to take back my remark above; insects don't get in easier).

At least the recent rejections had some comments as you can see above. Even if I don't agree with them they do provide some sort of explanation.
BTW: The last rejected shot (crushing waves) has been sold about 20 times in sizes up to two metres. It also has been bought by a photographer for two composites in a calendar. So some viewers seem to make a connection with it...

Prieni

04-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #500
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tim, the 'judges' on the forum are doing their 'job' voluntarily. It's going to be a tough call to find 'credentialed' judges to fill existing posts or indeed to add to the current judge pool. But do remember, it is a consensus vote, and not all judges are going to agree with your artistic taste. Also keep in mind that rejections are at times only voted upon because of a minor issue such as colour balance or another editable correction which if performed might have a better shot at being accepted.
04-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #501
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I had hopes for this abstract from nature, but alas, no go:

These are a kind of moss, and each stalk is about 1 - 1.5 inches high. Shot handheld (ground level) with a Pentax 55-300mm telephoto and a Raynox DCR-150.

I had good comments from the judges, including one who thought the in-focus stem was too central to make a comfortable composition. Before submitting I had considered cropping this on a 4:3 aspect ratio, and removing some of the right side, but didn't. I think that next time I'll also use a wide open aperture rather than f/8 to get circular bokeh.
Tamia, I like this one very much. It does make good wall art. I do find it a little 'busy' though and hard to easily make out the 'subject' or the reed in focus. I'd think that if shot wide open, the current composition might be just as hard to work out, and the current bokeh effect in the image is quite appealing. Not all rejected shots are without merit! This one proves that, though there would be agreed upon reasons from the judging panel that would explain the result.
04-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #502
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prieni Quote
Thanks Brisboy!
Alas, not good enough for the elusive gallery. I guess I concentrate a bit more on 1x.com, far easier I start thinking it must be something else as well as the inferior quality of my submissions that keeps me out of PEG.

Prieni
I'd keep submitting entries you know are good and you want to feature in the gallery. I keep saying this, but I think it's important: the gallery is only as good as its entries. But rest assured, no judge is able to know the artist who submitted the entry unless there is a watermark to indicate it. Do show us your 1x.com acceptances that didn't make it into PEG. I'd be interested to check them out.

04-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #503

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Do show us your 1x.com acceptances that didn't make it into PEG. I'd be interested to check them out.
The last one I posted in this thread is one of the two accepted in 1x.com. The other one I think I posted here before, too:

Prieni
04-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #504
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't seen that last one come through PEG, but that is indeed a well captured image. A very good result.
04-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Perhaps it took longer for the judges to come to a consensus for those delayed images.
I guess not in this case, as both of those images have been removed now.
04-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pri:

Nice shot! I guess they didn't notice the one person standing in the image (and not blurred). Perhaps they wanted more lighting on their face! Can you share how you did it?

Regards,
04-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #507

Thanks!
BigDave, this is done fairly straight forward. Camera on tripod with DA 10-17 fisheye, 4 seconds exposure gave the best patterns on the wheel. That guy stood there without moving during exposure.

Prieni
05-21-2012, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #508
Veteran Member

Well, I finally had a few images I was proud enough of to submit to the PEG. All rejected. I did resubmit one of them based on the feedback but don't have expectations. Nice to share them here though!

A few of nature waking up

an abstract

A landscape at dusk --- boring but the light was sooooo nice!

05-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tess,

the fern is really quite nice. The reflection abstract is also very special. These two were your best of this group. Well done!
05-24-2012, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #510
Veteran Member

I hadn't submitted any photos to the exclusive gallery in quite a while. Although I have some in there from when the gallery was new, I still haven't a clue what, if anything, the judges are looking for. I submitted this one because I really liked the softness and the dreamy quality it had.
The comments (except for the "great shot", "beautiful" type that are always included with any feedback) I was told it needed to be cropped and it was too bad the birds legs were so dark (the bird has black legs) and too bad the stump was too dark. Against my better judgement, I cropped the darn thing and tried to lighten those black legs and the stump without blowing out highlights and the comment came back saying they liked it better without the crop. See the second shot. I am going to have to learn to photograph bugs I guess.

Last edited by slowpez; 06-08-2012 at 10:15 AM.