Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #511
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a fine image, Susan. Nice minimalist nature shot. What I think it could do with is some more dramatic PP work. Not to take anything away from a well executed shot already, but with some tonal brilliance and texture, perhaps along with more mid-tone microcontrast and a vignette for effect it might spruce it up significantly.

05-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #512
Veteran Member

I think the original crop is vastly superior to the second and the composition is wonderful. Due to the angle of the light, the head, body and legs are shaded so there is some inevitable loss of texture in such a high contrast situation. You could try selective dodging with a brush to leave the highlights untouched. It's a lovely shot, if the light had been from a different angle it would be a great shot, brighter eyes in particular would make a big difference. I personally wouldn't put a vignette on it, I like the light airy feel.
05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #513
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks so much for your suggestions Ash and Dr Orloff. Wish my PP skills were up to the task. I will work on this one some more. I agree on the lousy crop. I just did it because one of the judges said it would be an improvement. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and make suggestions.
05-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #514
Veteran Member

Why don't you do some judging yourself, you are entitled?

05-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
Why don't you do some judging yourself, you are entitled?
To tell you the truth, I see so many great photos in this thread that have been turned down that I no longer have confidence in my own photos much less anyone else's. I can't believe the quality of some of the ones that are rejected. There are lots of people on this forum who are a heck of lot more qualified than I will ever be.
05-25-2012, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #516
Veteran Member

Don't lose confidence because a photo is rejected, it's all just subjective. This one of mine was rejected a couple of days ago, I still like it though:

05-25-2012, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #517
Veteran Member

Great picture Dr O. The PEG is certainly laughable at times. What were the comments accompanying the rejection? Some tripe about lack of detail in the corners or something?

05-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #518
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good bold image Dr Orloff. Saw that one coming through and definitely considered it to have potential.

Thoughton, that is hardly a thoughtful appraisal of the gallery (excuse the pun), but laugh at it all you will. Your assumption on the judging deplores the efforts of the gallery to establish a collection of photographic art that best exemplifies creative and technical skills of people utilising this brand of tools to get the job done.

Once again, it should be reiterated that the judging process culminates in a quorum decision. It could hardly be any fairer than that given the subjective nature of photographic interpretations.
05-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
Great picture Dr O. The PEG is certainly laughable at times. What were the comments accompanying the rejection? Some tripe about lack of detail in the corners or something?
Thanks Thoughton, these were the comments:

Nice mood

A fine portrait. I like everything about it except for the bluriness of the front of the hoodie. Somewhat distracting.
05-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #520
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good bold image Dr Orloff. Saw that one coming through and definitely considered it to have potential.

Thoughton, that is hardly a thoughtful appraisal of the gallery (excuse the pun), but laugh at it all you will. Your assumption on the judging deplores the efforts of the gallery to establish a collection of photographic art that best exemplifies creative and technical skills of people utilising this brand of tools to get the job done.

Once again, it should be reiterated that the judging process culminates in a quorum decision. It could hardly be any fairer than that given the subjective nature of photographic interpretations.
Ash, I will be happy to give thoughtful appraisal when the judges themselves give thoughtful appraisal. I look at some of the extremely mediocre shots that have previously been accepted and I wonder what has kept out many of the pictures in this thread.

Some of the pictures that have been accepted have since received an average vote of less than 3 stars from the PEG voters. Do you think that is significant? I do.

My personal opinion is that the PEG has been a bit of a failure, and the lack of sensible comments by the judges is the prime reason for that.
05-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #521
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I may have to start ignoring this thread to keep my blood pressure down. A real shame on Susan's and DrOrloff's rejection.

Tim
05-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #522
Veteran Member

Dr. Orloff, that is one of the most effective portraits I have seen. Extremely impressionable. Susan, I loved your image and would dearly love to have that one framed on my wall. Ash, there is one judge who sometimes provides feedback worthwhile, while the others are often rude and dismissive making the person on the receiving end wonder if its personal. This has nothing to do with being rejected. If it is going to be anonymous judges then it should work in both directions, submitter and judge should both be anonymous. And as a former educator, I know it doesn't take too many words to provide positive critical feedback and at the same time reject an image for the PEG.

Anyway, it is too easy to get caught-up in this stuff. Off to a photography show in Toronto. The real world awaits!
05-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #523
Veteran Member

Dr. Orloff, that is one heck of a portrait. I agree with Tess about the apparent attitude of some of the judges but I also know that the written word can easily be misinterpreted and it takes a certain kind of person to be able to bring those things our eyes see (body language, etc.) to the words they write. Those stars provided by voting members of the PEG don't mean much to me as there are so few people who actually vote on photographs. 3 stars from someone whose photo has only had one vote verses 3 stars from someone who has had 20 people vote does not mean that the members think the photo is not worthy.
Anyhow I'm with Tim - the old B/P is on the rise and I have to clean the carpet.
05-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #524
Veteran Member

Thanks. I've just noticed a little hair on the hood that needs cloning. I go off my own shots very quickly but I do quite like that one. The most important thing though is not whether it is accepted into a gallery but that I have a nice photo of my son to keep.

I submit the odd photo every now and again. It is very difficult to get portraits accepted and my own faves have all been rejected. There are a couple of crackers in the PEG, but perhaps it's very difficult to live up to that standard. The standard for insects and birds seems to be nowhere near as high and in some cases I can't understand it. I have a picture of a house sparrow which is poorly rated. Fair enough, I'd rather have the portrait in there, but birds and insects seem to be what most judges prefer.
05-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #525
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Anyhow I'm with Tim - the old B/P is on the rise and I have to clean the carpet.
How did you know I am going to steam clean the carpets this weekend?

Tim