Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post your Exclusive Gallery Rejects

In an effort to learn what it takes to get an image accepted into the Pentax Forum Exclusive Gallery, I encourage everyone to post their rejects and the comments provided by the judges.

Here is my most resent:

Backstage

Comments

- Inefficient use of negative space. Little for the eye to focus on.

- That's some huge space - very vintage feeling to it!

Tim

12-29-2010, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
In an effort to learn what it takes to get an image accepted into the Pentax Forum Exclusive Gallery, I encourage everyone to post their rejects and the comments provided by the judges.
Tim
Better watch out...the forum police don't like it when you post the judges' comments, even when the judges are anonymous.

Here's one of my rejects that the comments led me to believe would be accepted with a "minor" change. I had also submitted it accidently in too small of a file size, which was one of the "dings" it took:
Attached Images

12-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Better watch out...the forum police don't like it when you post the judges' comments, even when the judges are anonymous.

Here's one of my rejects that the comments led me to believe would be accepted with a "minor" change. I had also submitted it accidently in too small of a file size, which was one of the "dings" it took:
I would size it correctly and resubmit if I were you. Very nice b&w conversion IMHO.

Tim
12-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Today's reject:

Ethyl and her green dress

Comments:

Good sharp image with nice rendition. Limited interest in subject matter, though - no 'wow' factor.

Nice composition, excellent subject matter.

Nice color contrasts

12-30-2010, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

OK, I posted this one a while back and it was rejected.

Barn in Foggy sunrise

Comments were that the glare was too much, barn and trees should be more defined. How they expect me to get better definition/detail in a heavy fog, I don't know, that was actually the point of the whole thing, a good foggy picture where nothing is going to be really clear and in good focus due to the fog. Fog is what made the sunlight show in the foreground, and that's what I wanted most. The only way I got this shot was the fog in front of the barn had thinned out a bit, everything else was in thick fog, visibility maybe 30 feet or so...The trees in the far background were just starting to show, since the fog had lifted just a bit. Two minutes earlier (before I changed lenses) you could only see white fog behind the barn. The pictures I took earlier just didn't make it, 50mm wide angle and nothing but fog all around, this was the best of the set.
12-30-2010, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Some of many

Here are a couple of mine that got rejected. Both are in the PPG so I guess that means that the PPG has really gone downhill. With these, the sunflowers were facing the wrong way and the birds wings were clipped. Usually they just sent me an email saying rejected with no reason given. Not helpful at all.
I did get one into the exclusive gallery but had it removed because I felt they were not living up to the promise of a critique to let us know why they turned down the picture. Saying nothing is just not helpful. The PPG says nothing and that was the major complaint that the exclusive gallery was supposed to correct. OK, vent time over. I like both these shots though so that is ultimately all that matters.

Last edited by slowpez; 01-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.
12-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Susan,

If you ever get a chance to reshoot the sunflower field, take a 6' step ladder with you. The higher perspective does wonders for this type of shot.

There was a lady taking engagement photos when I shot my kids above and she was more than happy to borrow my ladder when I offered.

As for the seagull shot, one suggestion I have is to try an 8x10 crop to remove some of the space on the right side and maybe shift the color temperature to lesson the yellow on the bird just a little bit (You want some yellow to keep the setting sun look IMHO). I like the full frame effect of this image and it does not need to have the full wings or the tail to be gallery worthy.

Tim

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 12-30-2010 at 11:11 AM.
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
OK, I posted this one a while back and it was rejected.

Barn in Foggy sunrise

Comments were that the glare was too much, barn and trees should be more defined. How they expect me to get better definition/detail in a heavy fog, I don't know, that was actually the point of the whole thing, a good foggy picture where nothing is going to be really clear and in good focus due to the fog. Fog is what made the sunlight show in the foreground, and that's what I wanted most. The only way I got this shot was the fog in front of the barn had thinned out a bit, everything else was in thick fog, visibility maybe 30 feet or so...The trees in the far background were just starting to show, since the fog had lifted just a bit. Two minutes earlier (before I changed lenses) you could only see white fog behind the barn. The pictures I took earlier just didn't make it, 50mm wide angle and nothing but fog all around, this was the best of the set.
Pete,

I think this picture has a lot of potential. What the judge might have been saying is that the grass in front of the barn has some detail but not enough. What I would suggest is to burn the grass a little to get darken it then to use levels to reset the black point of the image so that anything 10 or less becomes zero. Here is an example of what I'm trying to explain. The fog effect is still there and the sun rays have more detail. As always, this is presented from my personal view and does not attempt to represent the judges view in any way.

I really would submit this image again.

Tim
01-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just received this rejection today. It was the 16th picture I took with my DS back in July of 2005.

Hey there good lookin'

Judges Comments

- Near perfect. Needed even more DoF to render the mouth sharply. Good job otherwise.

- Depth of Field could be improved.

- Nice groupie?!

- Seems under exposed to me.

Tim
01-02-2011, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good idea for this thread Tim.
I'd suggest judges' comments are OK to post, just avoid invoking contentious griping over rejected entries...

Here are some of mine:

01-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ash,

If those are rejects, I can understand why I'm only getting about 40% of my submissions accepted. The judges have set the bar pretty high.

Tim
01-02-2011, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Submitted this one a couple of times with modifications as suggested by the judges and folks on the Critique area of the forum, but no go.

Skeletal

01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Ash,

If those are rejects, I can understand why I'm only getting about 40% of my submissions accepted. The judges have set the bar pretty high.

Tim
Tim, I get far fewer than 40% of mine in.
And I have culled my submissions quite heavily.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Submitted this one a couple of times with modifications as suggested by the judges and folks on the Critique area of the forum, but no go.

Skeletal
Tamia, I was one to suggest some PP improvements on this fine image, and was pleased to see it for a 'yes' vote - unfortunately, despite best intentions of judges, there is no guarantee from the consensus that subsequently worked upon resubmits get through. Keep trying if you're keen, Tamia. You've got some fine work here.
01-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your encouragement, Ash, I appreciate it a great deal, and I also appreciated your detailed suggestions. I love the splendor I find around me, and my goal is to try and capture it on pixels. The Pentax forum and PEG help me toward that.
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No worries Tamia.

Another one of mine (currently with a 1-star rating):