Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1495 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #1396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three days without a post on this thread. I posted an image similar to this one on the texture, patterns, repetition thread.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #1397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Self portrait in a broken mirror.

Yes, but so well done, not a broken image. Nice work.

TT
11-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #1398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have confessed, elsewhere in these Forums, that I am not a "Paintings" person. But every now and then (actually, more then than now) something stops me in my tracks, and I have to keep looking. This has everything: a very pleasing mish-mash of colours and tones; variations of thickness and texture (can even see the texture of the canvas top right edge, and partway down the left side, behind the the thin layers of yellow and light-green); the thicker slashes thick enough to cast their own shape-shadows; the lighter browns and blonde colours in the centre that look like natural wood and wood-grain. The really thick "hanging" blob just right of centre is reminiscent of a moth or butterfly cocoon hanging from a tree-trunk.

What's that? I have it all wrong?

Aahh well, what I have said is how it looks in the eye of this particular beholder. That's how it works for me. And I like it!
11-15-2019, 06:28 AM - 3 Likes   #1399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I have confessed, elsewhere in these Forums, that I am not a "Paintings" person. But every now and then (actually, more then than now) something stops me in my tracks, and I have to keep looking. This has everything: a very pleasing mish-mash of colours and tones; variations of thickness and texture (can even see the texture of the canvas top right edge, and partway down the left side, behind the the thin layers of yellow and light-green); the thicker slashes thick enough to cast their own shape-shadows; the lighter browns and blonde colours in the centre that look like natural wood and wood-grain. The really thick "hanging" blob just right of centre is reminiscent of a moth or butterfly cocoon hanging from a tree-trunk.

Aahh well, what I have said is how it looks in the eye of this particular beholder. That's how it works for me. And I like it!
Glad you found the image eye-and-mind interesting. FYI, it is a detail from a self portrait (so many artists have done self-portraits). . A full view of the painting would not fit the theme of this thread, but I'll post it here anyway sometime today. (I made a correction to this paragraph as I had forgotten which part of the original painting was shown in the detail I posted above)

AND here is another detail from another painting by the same artist. I found the paint textures and the subtle mixes of colors visible on close inspection just as interesting as the entire canvass. I almost have a touch-don't touch reaction. I want to feel the texture, but the paint looks as though it's still wet.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-15-2019 at 07:21 AM.
11-15-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #1400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote

Here's the entirety of the portrait a detail of which drew your comment. The title: "Self Portrait: The Executioner." Presumably the last word in the sense of "the one who created this image."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #1401
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice stuff there, WPRESTO. I see the resemblance

11-15-2019, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #1402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #1403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Glad you found the image eye-and-mind interesting. FYI, it is a detail from a self portrait (so many artists have done self-portraits). . A full view of the painting would not fit the theme of this thread, but I'll post it here anyway sometime today. (I made a correction to this paragraph as I had forgotten which part of the original painting was shown in the detail I posted above)

AND here is another detail from another painting by the same artist. I found the paint textures and the subtle mixes of colors visible on close inspection just as interesting as the entire canvass. I almost have a touch-don't touch reaction. I want to feel the texture, but the paint looks as though it's still wet.
Now this one has the same "touchy-feely" looking texture as the first one ("touch-don't touch" as you put it) but looks like multi-coloured leaves on a forest floor (which probably shows my general inclination towards what is generally termed "the world of nature", I like it also, but not as much as the first one - and I refuse to let the whole picture you have shown change the way I look at the extract you originally posted!!!
11-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #1404
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Great trigger for Trypophobians
11-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #1405
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Seasonal Bokeh

Or multi coloured Lemons... thought I'd get in early.

11-18-2019, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1406
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Oh Danny Boy

"The pipes the pipes are calling"...

11-19-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #1407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

11-20-2019, 02:31 AM   #1408
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm A Real Square

Do like a good pattern... Industrial large scale vertical Jenga close up.

11-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #1409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Detail from a painting by a contemporary first-peoples* Australian. Such artists tend to use traditional methods and stylistic elements mixed with modern materials and European ideas of design.
* There is that useful widely understood collective "aboriginal," but that term has become a pejorative. I think each of these people would prefer to be called by the name they call themselves, what we would term their "tribe," but there are so many of them. To be precise, the artist is of the Warlpiri/Luritja people.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
11-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #1410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't like to follow my own posts, It's more polite to wait until at least one other Pentaxian puts up an image. But I'm getting impatient.
Details fromtwo different arists with very different styles. The first one is from another painting by Ben Quilty. The mudum was having a special exhibit of his work, so there were many of them, and his style made for many many close-up possibilities.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo