Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frame It Winners

I enjoyed seeing everyone's interpretations of the framing theme in this P52 Perspective: Frame It!. That I found something of interest in each entry only makes judging more difficult, and as all of you who have judged knows, it's NEVER an easy job. I'll do my best, and hope you'll all recognize that my choices and comments are subjective even as I've tried to examine each photo with a dispassionate eye.

Framing should help emphasize the subject rather than distract, it should enhance rather than being the main story, it should make the picture better than if the frame wasn't there. Is the photo improved by the use of framing? This was what I asked myself when weighing each photo.

I'll first give my impressions of each in the order they were submitted, and will list the winners at the end. But before that, I'd like to thank everyone who participated. These P52 challenges are learning tools for us all, and because of that the bar has risen pretty high. And thanks to Rense for doing a fine job of moderating this project and for coming up with such interesting challenges.

Alright, on to the judging!

Clou This is a fascinating photo, with an unusual frame. My eye circulates around the composition and always stops on the entrance to the museum and the person walking past it, only to be carried away again to the sculpture/frame in the foreground. The highlighted window showing through the gap in the sculpture is a bit distracting, though, but overall, this photo is a good example of the theme.

Woof It seems that we have an agreement between the current judge and P52's moderator, so I'll include your photo in the challenge. It's a beautiful architectural shot, with the columns in the foreground solidly framing the building beyond. Lighting is good. The decorative stonework in the arched overhead at the top of image pulls at my eye, but there's no doubt what the main subject of the photo is.

Susan (Slowpez) The shaded foreground trees carry my eye to the people beyond while enhancing the sense of a quiet natural space. Though you labeled the photo Lover's Spat, the couple lean toward one another even as they sit apart, which adds a bit of intrigue and drama to the otherwise calm setting. The lighting is good, and even the shaded portions of the photo and the patchy snow act as stacked frames pointing to the couple. Well caught.

MikeS A picture of utter contentment, suitably and softly framed by the blankets and subtle shading and highlights. The frame formed by the lush blankets and gently lighting enhance the sense of protectiveness without taking anything away from the sleeping baby.

Mark (bbluesman) The light doors frame a person sitting in the dark beyond. This is a compelling photo, well composed, and though there's a lot in the picture (the paneled doors, the bush, textured windows), the framing only manages to emphasize the person inside. I can't tell whether this is a man or woman, and that adds to the mystery. Who is this? Why does he or she look sad? The person seems almost like a prisoner, but there's an opening to the outside. So many questions. Like with Susan's picture, I want to write a story about this.

John (jheu02) Using the bright, red colored frame of the foreground bench to frame the more distant one is an excellent example of the theme. The colors are bold, which matches the boldness rigidity of the benches' shapes. The only small distraction is the background building at the upper right, which pulls at my eye a bit. But the solidity of the benches carries me back to the main subject.

Rense I don't know what the Dutch joke was, but the photo is a kind of pleasant joke. At first, I thought I was looking through the glass at people sitting on a brick shelf in a brick wall. But NO, it's a reflection! You frame the people very well with the metal border of the foreground structure. I'm encouraged to linger on the people who are the main subject, studying each person in turn and then reassuring myself that it is a reflection by sweeping my eye to the sharply focused, richly colored bricks at the top of the image. The white polygon in the foreground is the only discordant note in an otherwise well executed photo.

Rob (rob1234) I like this photo quite a lot, in particular because I love trees, the countryside, and beautiful buildings. The trees hint at framing the building, but I find myself spending a lot of time looking at the damaged tree in the foreground and the towering tree in the middle-left. I believe you were hoping to emphasize the building by framing it with the trees, but the framing isn't strong enough.

Manel Brand A literal translation of the theme, I'd say. Without the angled frames in the foreground, this would be a very different and, I think, not as interesting a photo. The black&white rendition is a good choice here, too. Overall a very well captured example of the theme.

Virgilr A very good example of negative space, and lovely hues of blue in the frame and the reflection of the tabletop. But the contents are so dark that they aren't distinguishable. A successful abstract and quite appealing, but I think that the frame IS the story, and plays a dominant roll.

Joe (jmschrei) You instinctively framed the gorilla with the climbing webbing, which, in a way, emphasizes more than the animal, but also his predicament of confinement to a zoo. A strong photo well framed.

Pete (Paleo Pete) Your choice of exposure has created a silhouette of the pier as well as the trees. The orange sunset, deep purple clouds, and the bright reflection on the water stand out more to me as the center of attention, with the silhouettes forming the frame. A beautiful photo of day's end.

Iris Wet feet, indeed! The bull is right in the middle of the picture, framed by the out-of-focus trunks in the foreground, and the overhanging branches. With diffuse light, the highlights are more subtle than if there was plenty of glare, yet there's enough brightness to give the black animal shape and dimension. I like this photo quite a bit, and it fits the theme very well.

RollsUp There's no doubt that this photo is a good interpretation of the theme, and I like it very much indeed. I'd hang it on my wall. I can't quite tell what I'm seeing, however. I THINK it's an iced window with a bit of liquid condensation and a lot of frost, with a handprint in the middle, with a tantalizing hint of colorful things outside. Reminds me of some of the Native designs on bark canoes. The framing does its job of strengthening and emphasizing the subject. I like it!

So now the hard part, the winners (I've not listed honorable mentions, because there'd be too many!):

Third Place: Mark Sorry -- I can't get your photo to load, Mark. Can't get the BBCode.

Second Place: Susan

First ...and the grand prize of judging next week's P52: Manel Brand

01-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Manel Brand, Susan and Mark! Thanks for judging Tamia and taking the time to comment on each shot. Lots of excellent entries this time around!
-Joe
01-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the splendid judging job, Tamia! Congrats to Manel, Susan and Mark!
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for doing the judging duties Tamia. You put in a lot of hard work. Congrats to all who entered and especially to Mark and Manel. Well deserved win Manel.

01-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Nice job Tamia! Congrats to the winners... well deserved...

woof!
01-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks Tamia-good job judging. Congrats to Manel and Susan. Manel brilliant shot!
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats, winners! Tamia, nice judging and comments

01-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone. Sincerely not expecting this honor. You are really nice people.

Congrats to Susan, Mark and all the others that have participated on the Frame It Challenge!

As you may be aware, I'm kind of a beginner on this stuff, so don't expect the same kind of work Tamia did on the judging and comments. I will take the liberty also to call for assistance on the procedures from Tamia or Rense, when I find myself in trouble.

Thanks again.

Manel
01-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Manel and congrats also to Susan and Mark.
Thanks Tamia for judging!
01-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners!
Great job on judging, Tamia. You are correct, it's a frosted window from our entry door with someone standing just outside of it. Thanks!
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners and all entries, very good stuff. I only wish I was creative enough to get an entry. Good job judging, Tamia!
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for your critique!