Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lets see your DIY!

I would like to see pics of some of the DIY things you have made that has to do with Photography..... example DYI softbox, control trigger, etc
I mostly want to try to make things as I can't afford them

thanks

randy

01-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I made this thing to hold the shutter down: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1227767-post9.html
I think my next project might be a macro flash. Actually more of a light that's built into a step up filter ring.
01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

01-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

krp great idea but I was wondering what's the difference if you use a wired remote for it ?

yeatzee did you put aluminium foil inside that box ?

Here's something simple,

It's 0.2mm sheet metal (masking foil?) and it does the trick on M42 lenses which go over inf. (on DSLR + adapter). Additional benefit is less wobbling and better exposure because of camera contact connection.

Last edited by georgweb; 01-26-2011 at 01:53 AM.
01-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea, Randy. Great tips have already been posted.

I like to carry my camera gear when I'm paddling my canoe and also when on my bike. However, I don't want my kit to be soaked in a capsize, or damaged in a bike skid. So for paddling, I modified a military surplus ammo can to carry camera kit aboard a canoe. I wrote about how to choose and outfit the ammo box in "Heavy Metal Rocks! Refitting an Ammo Can as a Camera Box". Here are a couple pictues:

I used a similar padding strategy for carrying my kit aboard a bike. I use a rack trunk which clamps solidly onto the bike, and which can be protected with a rain cover. Here's the trunk:

And here is the camera gear inside:

I wrote about how to outfit a trunk in "Journeys with a Pentax K200D DSLR: Outfitting a Rack Trunk to Carry Camera Gear"

I've field tested both of these. The trunk bag was given a real-life test when I crashed at 18mph. I came away with a wrenched shoulder and a few acres of road rash, the handlebar bag was knocked off, but the trunk was safe and sound, as was my camera kit.
01-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
krp great idea but I was wondering what's the difference if you use a wired remote for it ?

yeatzee did you put aluminium foil inside that box ?

Here's something simple,

It's 0.2mm sheet metal (masking foil?) and it does the trick on M42 lenses which go over inf. (on DSLR + adapter). Additional benefit is less wobbling and better exposure because of camera contact connection.
yes sir...... it was used for this:

etc.
01-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ahhh DIY stuff!

Lets see, here are a few flash diffusers, they are made with "3 for 99 cents" thin cutting boards from the dollar store. Just cut whatever shape you want.

Next is the remote trigger I made several years ago. Red button is the shutter, smaller black button is the AF. (For remote building instructions look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/17241-mak...your-k10d.html)

Pat

01-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Forum Member

Here are a couple pics of my DIY ring light. It's mostly complete. Just need to finish the battery compartment and get a reverse macro adapter and add some epoxy. Was a cheap build and works pretty well so far. A few pics.
Michael

In use.

01-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
krp
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
The K-x does not support a wired remote.

Great pictures yeatzee.

Mcsquared what kind of lights are those?
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote

Mcsquared what kind of lights are those?
They are white LED Car lights. I got the idea from this link Build ring light for your camera the website is dealextreme
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just published an article about how to make a rain cover for a camera using the sleeve of a rain shell/jacket. It's called Sew What? A Raincoat for Your Camera. Here's a picture:

04-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Ahhh DIY stuff!

Lets see, here are a few flash diffusers, they are made with "3 for 99 cents" thin cutting boards from the dollar store. Just cut whatever shape you want.

Pat
Ah, Pat, that popup diffuser is pretty elegant. I'm copying it. I've been collecting a few pieces of that sort of material (It seems to come as food packaging once in a while. Ought to take up less space than the Fuji film canister version. )

Ah, here's my home-built enlarger stand, being almost-complete. (I cut those overhangey parts down to a gentle curve after I mocked everything up to try it on for size like this, then put some nice edge banding on the edges of the plywood. The photos of it finished may take a little finding. )

One day, when we get to a more-permanent residence, I'll put some kind of finish on to match. It's custom-made to overcome some space problems fairly inherent to trying to squeeze a darkroom's dry side into a little den with two doors that usually must remain open, and it's rock-solid.

(And, heh, you can see the edges of some RML-built bookshelves there, too. )
04-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Flash in a Bag - using a rubber band + a white bag that electronics (e.g. dvd player) come wrapped in.

Result:

Foam board on a Flash: foam core with cut out (my brain skipped and I first cut out the wrong thing) to attach to flash head. This could be smaller, and of flimsier material.

Result:

04-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

How to Mount a Large Format Lens on a DSLR:

This, a WW1 era Bausch & Lomb Tessar meant for one of the Graflex cameras, in order to get enough distance to sensor: 1) bellows unit (this a M42 Pentax Bellows II) + barrel plus M42 mount from a 135mm Hanimar lens, 3) the lens temporarily mounted using insulation tape inside the barrel.

Result:

In an earlier attempt I tried plastic pipe fittings - the theory was that I could use the screw in part as helical focusing - the practice is that there's way too much friction and the travel is too limited:

Result (Wollensak Rapid-Rectilinear lens)

04-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hee, Nesster: You know you can get an M42-M39 stepdown from like HK for cheap and a bit of a wait.

I've since added a short M42 extension tube behind the bellows for clearance, so I don't have to take the grip off.

I haven't actually shot anything terribly *interesting* with it, ..kind of a big chunk of metal to walk around handholding with, but it's fun.