Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think I'd really enjoy seeing this . I've considered sending my *ist ds off for conversion as it has little resale value and the idea appeals to me. Who did yours?
I had my k100ds converted by Spencer's Camera in Utah. There are a number of threads about them on this site. Although it took too long, they did a good job. YMMV

01-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
+1 for the IR idea! I'd love to see that.

Myself... well. It's probably going to be Leibruary as I've mentioned. The only thing that bugs me is that I did SiN with 28mm. I mean, I love the focal length but not sure if I can come up with anything better.
Thanks for the bump. Darn, that means I have to do it now...[sigh]. Ok, I'll do it. Just have to come up with a lens choice out of the 40 or so I have...
01-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I had my k100ds converted by Spencer's Camera in Utah. There are a number of threads about them on this site. Although it took too long, they did a good job. YMMV
I had read some of the nightmares with Spencer's a way back, one of the reasons I haven't done it was those tales and the lack of many alternates. Precision Camera does Pentax as well now apparently but I think I'll check around some of the local repair shops as well before deciding
It may well be I can pick up a used converted one for the price of doing the ds from what I've seen. not really worried about AF calibration as I will likely shoot MF and the lenses all have the ir marks
01-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I was actually thinking the exact same thing though I'd probably pick a lens and use it. The DA*55 is feeling pretty lonely these days.

February is a short month so maybe it won't get so tedious. I'll have to find some new subjects though. My albums are their own 'cliche' threads.

I want to see The Hound, Jeff.
Don't keep him away from us.

01-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Jeff, I'd like to see the DA*55 in action. I read very conflicting opinions on this lens.
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for the bump. Darn, that means I have to do it now...[sigh]. Ok, I'll do it. Just have to come up with a lens choice out of the 40 or so I have...
My guess is you'd want to stick to something wide-ish. 35 or less mm?
01-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I had read some of the nightmares with Spencer's a way back, one of the reasons I haven't done it was those tales and the lack of many alternates. Precision Camera does Pentax as well now apparently but I think I'll check around some of the local repair shops as well before deciding
It may well be I can pick up a used converted one for the price of doing the ds from what I've seen. not really worried about AF calibration as I will likely shoot MF and the lenses all have the ir marks
I picked up a used k100ds a year and a half ago just because it speaks SDM and I wanted that compatibility. Good to know precision does this. They had been recommended by others. I have to say that the color IR conversion from Spencer's has been a lot of fun to use and I'm getting some great shots with it. So like I said, I'm happy with the product, but just luke warm with the service.

Infrared - a set on Flickr

Good luck with it, IR is a lot of fun.

01-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Don't think you all want to be bored 28 days with dogs, do you?
As a faithful flickr contact I watch nearly every dog picture you upload. My kids are now starting to go "we want one dad!" so who knows if I will be the next pentadogxian? Do not mock it till you have tried it eh? :-)
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Count me in on this one. I have a lens I got from a member here and have not used it much and now would like to put it to test. It's an off brand 28-80. But since it has macro ability on the 28mm end, I might just use that setting for this theme.

And Karen, people are boring to me but dogs will never be boring. To quote a famous person:

QuoteQuote:
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

Last edited by photolady95; 01-29-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Corrected lens mm
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up a used k100ds a year and a half ago just because it speaks SDM and I wanted that compatibility. Good to know precision does this. They had been recommended by others. I have to say that the color IR conversion from Spencer's has been a lot of fun to use and I'm getting some great shots with it. So like I said, I'm happy with the product, but just luke warm with the service.

Infrared - a set on Flickr

Good luck with it, IR is a lot of fun.
I still have the option to do it on film, I've shot the Rollei on my Bronica (sadly the lab really screwed up the processing, one of the reasons I'm getting back into processing myself)

The cost will pay for a fair bit of IR film for me (35+rolls), but the idea of colour ir was the appeal. Colour ir film stock is now next to impossible to find unless someone buys a spool of aerial film and re-spools it (the last guy to do this sold out before i ordered it)

the other nice thing i guess is you can look through compose and focus like a normal cam. with the bronica i put the filter on after composing and it is pretty much a tripod driven exercise
01-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The whole point of the conversion is that you can use it like a normal camera. I will say that getting the WB set before you shoot is crucial though to the final image. I'll take that over not being able to really see the subject in the cam.
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
As a faithful flickr contact I watch nearly every dog picture you upload. My kids are now starting to go "we want one dad!" so who knows if I will be the next pentadogxian? Do not mock it till you have tried it eh? :-)
LOL! I know I take a lot of dog pictures and I only upload so few

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Count me in on this one. I have a lenses I got from a member here and have not used it much and now would like to put it to test. It's an off brand 28-70, I think it's 70 on the out end.

And Karen, people are boring to me but dogs will never be boring. To quote a famous person: "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person".
That's true, sometimes I'm even ashamed of being human, when I read how terrible people can be to animals. Always wonder, now who's the animal?
01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Completely off topic, but I once saw a great bumper sticker. It said: The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're allowed Voytech, but only because it's about dogs
01-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Hey, I'm all for a dog-filled month! I can post a few shots of my brother's bat-looking french bulldog. Alright. I've decided. I'm in. Leitz Wletzlar Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 Version 1 (from 88 as I've learned) will be my lens of choice. I'm planning on repeating some of the shots I took in SiN, just to compare the two pieces of glass.