Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in February, make that March

Anyone ready for a SIF, I mean SIM?
I can imagine those who did SIN (Single in November), 12 days of Christmas and SIJ (Single in January) are wanting to take a break, but maybe there are still some other people who want to do it?

Last edited by KarenH; 01-30-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Change of heart :)
01-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, and I did copy past unashamed Torben's guidance for the Single challenge.

In September 2010, Stillshunter set off a train with no breaks called "Single in September" in an effort to stem LBA. After that came Single in November, 12 days of Christmas and Single in January

In short these are the rules of the challenge:

-Choose one lens
-Take pictures with the lens each day and upload one of them to a gallery Called "Single in January"
- Do this every day for the hole month

FAQ:
Q: How do I participate?
A: Create an album called "Single in January". Go to your User Control Panel, and under Your Profile, choose "Edit Photo Albums". There you can create the album.

Q: Once I've created my album, where/how do I submit my album to be included?
A: There is no need to submit it as everybody participating in the challenge will be listed here (click me!) automatically because they are all called "Single in January". Note that your album will not show up until it contains at least one picture.

Q: Must I upload a picture every day?
A: No, you can upload it whenever you feel like, but you must choose one for each day

Q: What if I miss a shot?
A: Do not worry about it!

Q: What is a "safety shot"?
A: It is a picture that you take early in the day as a backup if you get too busy to get the shot you wanted

Q: What about all my other lenses, can't I use them?
A: Not for this challenge, but you can shoot with them all you want

Q: If I choose a zoom lens, do I have to stick with one focal length on that lens? Or can I have the entire focal range?
A: You can use the entire focal range

Q: Is it against the rules if I use an extension tube together with the lens?
A: Not at all, you are still using the same lens!

Q: How about mounting the lens reversed then?
A: You can do that! :-)

Q: Is it just for curing LBA?
A: No! You learn a lot from using a single lens for a month, why not choose one of your least favorite ones and get to know it better?
A: You get a new bunch of friends who also shoot one picture every day
A: If you choose a similar lens as someone else, you can compare shots, image quality and share notes *aawww* :-)

Q: Is it hard?
A: The first 7 days are easy. The next 7 will get you on your toes, the next 7 will make you head hurt and if you survive that till the end you will have a bunch of fantastic shots spread out over a whole month

Q: What about that gallery, I do not have enough space for my pictures!
A: Have you considered donating to the site? It will get you a bunch of space and keep the site advertising free! You know you love it like that :-)

Q: Any hints with regards to the Album?
A: Take a snapshot of your chosen lens? Make todays picture the album cover?

Q: Photobook!
A: Yes! What a great idea, a book with photographs chosen by the challengers. Just remember to save the original files so you will have good material for prints

Q: What is this Monthly Challenges group that I have been hearing about?
A: Oh that is the Monthly Photo Challenges group - currently we are talking about this Single in January idea here

Q: Can I have a look at past challenges?
A: Yes, you can find them here, here, here and here
01-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmm, I did SiS, SiN, 12oC and SiJ but if you can stand looking at my home town and path to and from work for another month I will be happy to enter again :-)

I have the 50-200 WR which now acts as a light travel backup for the 60-250. The recent review on the site got me pumped for it again, so I think that will be my SiF lens.

(or maybe something new will arrive in time for SiF?)

update: I might not be able to join this one also, but I will know on monday...

Last edited by Zorglub; 01-28-2011 at 02:57 AM. Reason: maybe I will not participate ...
01-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm in doubt about the lens.
I can do the Helios but that's only on the K10 because I don't want to try it on the K-7 because of previous stress about releasing it from the body. And when I'm out I'll want to take my K-7 and not the K10. Thought about the Sigma 10-20 mm or the Pentax 50 mm f/1.7.

01-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love to see what a 10-20 could do in your hands...
01-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok despite saying i may not i will
Just which lens to use
It's between the m50 1.7 the super tak 55 1.8 or the m100 2.8
Unless i come across a junk shop score this week
01-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've enjoyed the SIJ challenge but I'm getting tired. I'll try to give the SIF a shot. Not sure what lens though. Just rediscovered my Tokina 19-35 plastic fantastic. That or the Nokton 58 might be fun.

01-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I would love to see what a 10-20 could do in your hands...
Haha, I think they will all be 'cartoon' shots. I suck with landscapes so most of the time I use it as a fun lens. For the dogs. Don't think you all want to be bored 28 days with dogs, do you?
01-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Haha, I think they will all be 'cartoon' shots. I suck with landscapes so most of the time I use it as a fun lens. For the dogs. Don't think you all want to be bored 28 days with dogs, do you?

Your dogs are probably a lot of things (Primo the Comic comes to mind) but boring they are not

I'm biased though being a herding dog person
01-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm...I might not only stay with one lens but I might stick with my IR camera so it might be SIF-IR...just a thought.
01-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Your dogs are probably a lot of things (Primo the Comic comes to mind) but boring they are not

I'm biased though being a herding dog person
Hahaha, yes you are a dog person, but a lot of people aren't.
And I think if I took 28 days only dog shots, I would be the one that got bored. At least by taken them with the same lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Hmmm...I might not only stay with one lens but I might stick with my IR camera so it might be SIF-IR...just a thought.
That sounds interesting.
01-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think I'd really enjoy seeing this . I've considered sending my *ist ds off for conversion as it has little resale value and the idea appeals to me. Who did yours?
01-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

+1 for the IR idea! I'd love to see that.

Myself... well. It's probably going to be Leibruary as I've mentioned. The only thing that bugs me is that I did SiN with 28mm. I mean, I love the focal length but not sure if I can come up with anything better.
01-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
+1 for the IR idea! I'd love to see that.

Myself... well. It's probably going to be Leibruary as I've mentioned. The only thing that bugs me is that I did SiN with 28mm. I mean, I love the focal length but not sure if I can come up with anything better.
I think you can come up with something Sharper now though
01-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I was actually thinking the exact same thing though I'd probably pick a lens and use it. The DA*55 is feeling pretty lonely these days.

February is a short month so maybe it won't get so tedious. I'll have to find some new subjects though. My albums are their own 'cliche' threads.