Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty Kitty specialK!
Here is the Osprey couple I watched raise two young last year, back at it again.

04-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yellow-Crowned Night Heron

I was hoping to catch some soft, late afternoon light in the rookery but the dark clouds of an approaching thunderstorm put an end to that. The K-5 kept it from being a total loss but there's no way to get a decent print from this.

04-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Red Bellied Woodpecker coming in for a landing. A bit out of focus, but I had to keep it anyway. I don't get many chances at a shot like this...

Click image to view larger size.

Orchard Oriole, taken last week. This guy was hanging on while the wind whipped the limb around all over the place. I still managed to snag a shot or three. Wind was 25-30mph, coming across the lake, which is about 15 feet from this tree.

Purple Martin about to land. I won't admit how many attempts it took to get this shot...

All taken with Vivitar 200mm M42 f3.5 again.
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #139
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom, nice Ospreys. My sister has them hang around her house but never when I'm there.

Dave nice Yellow-crowned night heron. Something I haven't seen here when I'm shooting herons.

Pete, all good ones. The Orchard Oriole is really nice. Another one I have never seen here.

04-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #140
Veteran Member

This is the first time I've seen it here too. My mother says she saw them around her yard in East Texas last year, I've spotted Orchard and Baltimore Orioles here this summer so far. This was the first Orchard I ever saw. Have taken pictures of at least 2 others since then. The only shot of a Baltimore was way overexposed...

Also have only seen one Yellow Crowned Night Heron, got some good shots digiscoping with a Samsung point and shoot, but nothing since I got the Pentax. Pretty scarce bird, they usually hunt mostly at night, and sit completely still for an hour at a time, so they don't get spotted often. I watched the one I shot pictures of stand perfectly still in one spot and never move at all for over an hour. When it did, it moved very very slowly and nabbed a crawfish a few feet away.
04-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the nice comments, folks! I was lucky to have discovered this rookery a couple of years ago on a (crayfish-filled) stream near my house. They are hard to shoot but I enjoy the challenge. I'll be after them until they leave in the fall--I think the K-5 is going to be a great help this year.
04-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #142
Inactive Account

04-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heavy cloud cover prevented me from getting the afternoon sunlight so these are not amazing but I was happy to catch this one because these little Kestrels spook so easily. I watched this one hover and swoop in a field and eventually snag a field mouse.

04-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a lot 'wrong' with that photo, Eda--but I like it.
04-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #145
Inactive Account

Thanks, I take all the advice I can get. Did not have much time as they fly off right as I get the camera up.
04-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #146
Veteran Member

I agree, not enough contrast or saturation, too much of the brown at bottom, the bird doesn't stand out enough, overexposed I think...and I like it too, like it quite well actually. I showed it to a friend a couple of nights ago (Nikon shooter and pro photographer) and he had the same opinion. And he liked it really well too. He really liked the Ospreys and Night Heron shots, and several other shots in this thread too...Other Heron, Pigeon, someone's hawk shot...

I posted another shot of this Northern Flicker in the POTW thread, these are the only two I've uploaded, but got about a dozen nice ones.

Also posted this Red Shouldered Hawk in POTW, but I think it fits in this thread too. Carrying a snake for lunch.

I thought I had posted this shot already but went back a few pages and didn't see it. Maybe it was Birds in Flight...anyway it's a crop from a group of Red Wing Blackbirds flying by.

Great White Egret I shot a couple of weeks ago, just now getting around to trying to upload a few of the last few weeks' shots. I've tried to shoot several `of these birds just as they left a tree limb, this is one of the best I've gotten so far.

Pair of Red Headed Woodpeckers has been building a nest in this tree, in the hole to the right of this bird and a foot below. I haven't gotten anything to write home about, but this is one of the more decent shots so far. Yeah, I know, not one of my best shots...but for some reason I kind of like it, even though it's not really that good of a picture.

All shot with the Vivitar 200 mm M42 f3.5
04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That series of holes in the woodpecker shot is great, Pete.
04-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
self portrait
04-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
04-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots there Javier. Zoo shots right?

I was down to the park today, only one bird hanging around for some reason. Usually there are a few of these and some Herons.

White Ibis: