Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
2 of the Big 5
I'd love to see one with all 5!

02-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #1623
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another combination of 2 out of 5. A bit soft and noisy as the light was failing quickly - taken at ISO 12800.

02-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #1624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Water buffalo calf

Last edited by WPRESTO; 03-24-2015 at 12:17 PM.
02-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #1625
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm very jealous of all of the photos from Africa! I guess it is time to start planning a vacation.

Last edited by tmlawes; 07-06-2016 at 10:05 AM.
02-11-2015, 12:08 AM   #1626
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
I'm very jealous of all of the photos from Africa! I guess it is time to start planning a vacation.
Definitely about time

Of course, Noel is favorably located for getting these pictures all year round. Most of us aren't that lucky. Not that I'm complaining, though - I'm immensely privileged in being able to visit that magnificent continent every now and then.
02-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #1627
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

One more of the big five. We encountered these guys on our morning walk, they woke up as we sat nearby behind a fallen tree.

02-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #1628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd love to see one with all 5!
The most has been 4 (rhino, Ele, Lion and leopard- which was posted on a thread for that very purpose-how many of the big 5 in one photo-on Sanparks Forums. www. sanparks.org/forums) You'll be the photographer of the century if you are that lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Be careful, very careful You'll get bitten, which Savoche can testify about, and WPRESTO is yet to confess-by the Africa Bug- come once and you want to come again and again. And again. But well worth the suffering. You'll never be the same. If you are serious- I'd recommend the Kruger National Park any time. the website given is very helpful. And if you are afraid of catching Malaria- there is the Pilansberg National Park-Malaria free zone, and where you can see not only the big 5, and African Wild Dogs, but also animals endemic to the arid west. Such as Springbok and Gemsbok. Smaller than the Kruger Park, but well worth spending a few days there.

One more of the big five. We encountered these guys on our morning walk, they woke up as we sat nearby behind a fallen tree.
Lucky fish!

I'm getting you back with this one
02-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #1629
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, wild dogs... I have been to Mana Pools, South Luangwa, and Okavango, the three places with highest likelihood of seeing them, but no luck Kruger is still on my list, though

The most has been 4 (rhino, Ele, Lion and leopard- which was posted on a thread for that very purpose-how many of the big 5 in one photo-on Sanparks Forums. www. sanparks.org/forums) You'll be the photographer of the century if you are that lucky.
I've just set myself a new goal

QuoteQuote:
Be careful, very careful You'll get bitten, which Savoche can testify about, and WPRESTO is yet to confess-by the Africa Bug- come once and you want to come again and again. And again. But well worth the suffering. You'll never be the same.
Yes, the Bug. There ain't no cure, there ain't no cure... - you just have to get another fix. And then another. My subscription to Travel Africa Magazine doesn't help

QuoteQuote:
I'd recommend the Kruger National Park any time. the website given is very helpful. And if you are afraid of catching Malaria- there is the Pilansberg National Park-Malaria free zone, and where you can see not only the big 5, and African Wild Dogs, but also animals endemic to the arid west. Such as Springbok and Gemsbok. Smaller than the Kruger Park, but well worth spending a few days there.
Seconded! South Africa is very well organised, very easy to travel around in - and is populated by friendly and helpful people Another excellent destination for a malaria free safari is Etosha in Namibia. Like the South African parks it's very well suited for self drives as well.

From our visit in Etosha a few years back.
02-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #1630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, wild dogs... I have been to Mana Pools, South Luangwa, and Okavango, the three places with highest likelihood of seeing them, but no luck Kruger is still on my list, though
Best place to see them-on my recent visit, there in Oct-Nov- a pack (the Skukuza Pack) was moving around Skukuza, and I got to see them 3 days. Nice shot of that lion and the jackal-you'r just bragging.
Tit for Tat
02-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #1631
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be careful, very careful You'll get bitten, which Savoche can testify about, and WPRESTO is yet to confess-by the Africa Bug- c
The Africa bug is walking on my back, but hasn't sunk his proboscis deep as yet. Other places on our agenda, one coming in April (southern California: Anza Borrego & Joshua Tree primarily - hoping recent rain following historic drought will bring out the flowers) another in June (Iceland), which may fill our major travel for 2015, but you never know. There are other places on our "hoping" list (Spain, Scandinavia, some parts of France), but there are also the parts of Africa we did not visit, prominently South Africa, but also Madagascar, which for evolutionary biologists is a wonderland second only the the Galapagos.
02-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #1632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Big five? The only one that counts is numero uno!

02-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #1633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh- He does have hopes - Wait till a herd of these fellows come marching by then we'll know who is numero uno. This one from Pilansberg.
02-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #1634
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not many of those in my neighborhood.

02-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #1635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one I think should be in his neighborhood