Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #3376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. It's easier when a dark-headed bird has a pale eye-ring.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.
01-20-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #3377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Is that a Willet? Looks different than the ones here.
They're plain grey in winter. However, the Great Plains / Great Basin subspecies has less distinct bars on the back than the Atlantic coast subspecies.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2016 at 11:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Shorebirds are wicked to identify, at least for me as I probably work at it no more than once every 18 to 24 months. IQ has been lost on the scan from a chrome, so details of the bird are abit blurred, but without getting down a field guide, I cannot give it a name.
Probably a Least Sandpiper, juvenile (Calidris minutilla).
01-20-2016, 12:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I had to google that one. I'd try it.]
You'd best start planning a trip down south of the Equator and visit our beautiful country. Here you will find all the biltong in the world, Ostrich was and remains the most popular and best biltong, thought my personal preference is Kudu. Gemsbok is also pretty good and as mentioned, elephant. From a purely commercial point of view, and not a purist one, beef is the most common available around here, due to it being cheaper. If you have the time and inclination you can make your own biltong box, and I know of a few folk living in the northern hemisphere (mostly expats) who have tried this one-http://www.sa-austin.com/make-biltong-box.html- with mostly good results. And the turn around time is about 3 days. Its great for those bitter winter months. I've never tried making one myself, for the simple reason it is so readily available here. I know that the UK has recently banned bringing biltong into that country, though of course some are able to import and sell it commercially. And the thing about a really good biltong is-like peanuts (for me at any rate) is once you start, you can't stop chewing the stuff. Hope you have the pleasure sometime! OH, and have a toothpick readily available.

Amur Falcon
01-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #3379
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
You'd best start planning a trip down south of the Equator and visit our beautiful country. Here you will find all the biltong in the world, Ostrich was and remains the most popular and best biltong, thought my personal preference is Kudu. Gemsbok is also pretty good and as mentioned, elephant. From a purely commercial point of view, and not a purist one, beef is the most common available around here, due to it being cheaper. If you have the time and inclination you can make your own biltong box, and I know of a few folk living in the northern hemisphere (mostly expats) who have tried this one-http://www.sa-austin.com/make-biltong-box.html- with mostly good results. And the turn around time is about 3 days. Its great for those bitter winter months. I've never tried making one myself, for the simple reason it is so readily available here. I know that the UK has recently banned bringing biltong into that country, though of course some are able to import and sell it commercially. And the thing about a really good biltong is-like peanuts (for me at any rate) is once you start, you can't stop chewing the stuff. Hope you have the pleasure sometime! OH, and have a toothpick readily available.
You just had to, didn't you

I like chili or piri-piri biltong a lot. I agree that kudu and gemsbok are very nice, but I think beef is plenty good, too. Elephant I have never tried. And I have increasingly acquired a taste for droŽwors. Ah, I am now officially hungry!

Hyena mother and pup having a tug-of-war.

Edit: Thanks for the link, Noel - got to make me a biltong box some time.

01-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #3380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, at last I've got you back for posting those delicious snow pics earlier and elsewhere . Not much into droŽwors, as the fatty parts are hard to separate from the meaty parts. Oh, and the word is Peri Peri, unless you've been so Africanized, following the African way of saying things-piri piri. Seemingly you have! . Oooooh, that African Bug has you firmly in its grip.
White Storks
01-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #3381
Veteran Member

Amur Falcon
A quick google search led me to a biltong store somewhat close. It appears to only be beef though.
4Biltong.com

I do know of another meat market closer to me that specializes in exotic meats. Ostrich jerky is one of their specialties. I very well may check with them. Thanks for the info.

01-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #3382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wrong direction sir

01-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #3383
Veteran Member

Pretty sure the direction is right.

01-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #3384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kindly make up your minds. We live long, but not forever.

01-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #3385
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone knows.

01-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #3386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look at all the little folk.

01-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #3387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thirsty for more
01-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #3388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm hungry. These fresh veges have a nice gritty texture, like multi-grain bread.

01-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #3389
Pentaxian

Come in the water's lovely

01-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #3390
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, at last I've got you back for posting those delicious snow pics earlier and elsewhere . Not much into droŽwors, as the fatty parts are hard to separate from the meaty parts. Oh, and the word is Peri Peri, unless you've been so Africanized, following the African way of saying things-piri piri. Seemingly you have! . Oooooh, that African Bug has you firmly in its grip.
I wouldn't hesitate to say pili-pili And I don't have much of wildlife pictures from my snowy part of the world. I go to more comfortable climate zones for that!

Direction? Upwards!