08-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #4426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plover--- nope: Red Knot, see below.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.
08-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #4427
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Plover
...not. Knot, i.e., I believe it's a sandpiper known as Red Knot (Calidris canutus, probably islandica subspecies), adult, moulting.
08-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #4428
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
...not. Knot, i.e., I believe it's a sandpiper known as Red Knot (Calidris canutus, probably islandica subspecies), adult, moulting.
Yes, my error, sorry. Posted too much in haste, should have checked as I am a casual rather than devoted bird-watcher, but I know an American robin when I see one, two times out of five (or is it ten?).
08-24-2016, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #4429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL.

Yellow Billed Hornbill

08-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #4430
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
LOL.Yellow Billed Hornbill
Happy to be the source of innocent merriment.
That is a really fine image of a hornbill.
One more wall lizard, in this view showing off that almost endless tail.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #4431
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! still sorting out some of the images from the 2014 and 2015 trip to the Kruger Park. That one was 2015
08-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #4432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Happy to be the source of innocent merriment.
A sublime object, of course.

08-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #4433
Pentaxian

LOL.

Yellow Billed Hornbill
I can (usually) identify fried chicken.

That's an interesting bird, noelcmn. How big are they?
08-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #4434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Gifthorse. They'r a bit larger than a pigeon, but smaller than the chickens they used at Kentucky Fried Chicken . If I should take a guess, its comparable in size to the Road Runner you have in your neck of the woods. Very intelligent birds they are, and have had one of them swoop down on me, and stealing a potato fry off my plate as I walked back from the counter from one of the many restaurants in Kruger Park. And have seen them do it to others as well, and once observed one robbing a butterfly off a Starling. They'r a delight to watch though. More interesting is the fact that, when the female is about to lay eggs, she is sealed off in a hole in a tree, with a small hole, through which the male will feed her, and once the eggs are hatched it is broken open, she comes out, and it is then resealed, and both parents then feed the youngsters until they are ready to fly, breaking the (usually mud) seal As with most things of this nature, they've become so accustomed to human presence, that, especially in the restaurant areas, that they are no longer afraid of fly off as they would normally do, Still I am always glad for the opportunity to get close to them with the camera.
08-25-2016, 03:44 AM   #4435
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a red-billed hornbill, but I was nothing like close to it. Far less good detail on the bird than in noel's picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-25-2016, 04:25 AM   #4436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duiker
08-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #4437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another little antelope - dik-dik. Been going back into the images from Africa to see if there are some "secondary" images worth posting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #4438
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kudu
08-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #4439
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Elephant
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #4440
Pentaxian

Thanks Gifthorse. They'r a bit larger than a pigeon, but smaller than the chickens they used at Kentucky Fried Chicken . If I should take a guess, its comparable in size to the Road Runner you have in your neck of the woods. Very intelligent birds they are, and have had one of them swoop down on me, and stealing a potato fry off my plate as I walked back from the counter from one of the many restaurants in Kruger Park. And have seen them do it to others as well, and once observed one robbing a butterfly off a Starling. They'r a delight to watch though. More interesting is the fact that, when the female is about to lay eggs, she is sealed off in a hole in a tree, with a small hole, through which the male will feed her, and once the eggs are hatched it is broken open, she comes out, and it is then resealed, and both parents then feed the youngsters until they are ready to fly, breaking the (usually mud) seal As with most things of this nature, they've become so accustomed to human presence, that, especially in the restaurant areas, that they are no longer afraid of fly off as they would normally do, Still I am always glad for the opportunity to get close to them with the camera.
That's interesting. I had always thought they were much larger. Thanks for the enlightenment. As far as thievery, they sound like the jays around here. Bold and raucous and hilarious antics. Tossed two peanuts, a jay will spend several minutes trying (unsuccessfully) into fit both into its beak. Then spend several more minutes 'selecting' the best peanut. Pick one up, drop it and pick up the other one. Drop that one and return to the first. Repeat for several minutes. Finally fly off with one and hide it. Return to the second choice peanut. While that is going on, another jay will fly in and steal the hidden peanut. (All the other jays are watching.) If caught stealing, much screeching and chasing ensues. Who needs reality TV?

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 10:51 AM ----------

And speaking of weird...wait, why are you all looking at me? How about a little tongue action?

A black-crowned night heron licking its lips.