Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6760 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 04:47 AM   #4621
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
confirmation of bird id

these birds, included in the photo posted below (# 4616) have been identified with the help of Mike Grimes as 2 Crested Francolin (Francolinus sephaena) found in Tarangire National Park Tanzania

Id made by flickr member Oretani Wildlife (Mike Grimes) after I posted photos at Bird ID Help Line of the Field Guide: Birds of the World Flickr group, an excellent group and source of information

my source: "Birds of East Africa: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi" by Terry Stevenson and John Fanshawne [page 100, plate 50, page 101] indicates that the Crested Francolin's range covers Tarangire National Park which is where I found the bird. the same source indicates that the Shelley's Francolin's expected range does not include the Tarangire National Park - good guess tho.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-17-2016 at 09:43 AM.
10-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #4622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The occur here too.
10-19-2016, 02:56 AM   #4623
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Rivalry

when shooting unexpected action between two black bears at the Topeka Zoological Park

you can't always choose your location (the auto focus liked the plant in front of the action too much)

or the position of the sun

or even how clean the glass window is

you just "go with the flow" and hope for the best

K 3 + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 + 1.4x converter
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #4624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another of those 2 rogue cheetahs from Addo

10-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #4625
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

of all the big cats - I like the cheetah the best (although I have never seen a tiger or cougar or jaguar in the wild)

I think of them as the "underdog", yes they are the fastest but they don't have endurance, are literally frozen and helpless (latic acid builds up "freezes" the muscles) for a period of time after a kill and lack the ability to defend or carry off its kill.

folks, add as many cheetahs as you can to any thread, you will get no complaints from me

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-19-2016 at 11:32 AM.
10-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #4626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK Boss! Same two, but earlier in the morning. A Red Hartebeest was walking towards them, and they immediately crouched low like this, ready to pounce. Except the Hartebeest got wind of them, and bolted in the opposite direction. I was most disappointed, as it would have been the first "kill" I have seen in over 30 years of visiting Game reserves, exluding birds of course.
10-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #4627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Always looking for an easy meal!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #4628
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Always looking for an easy meal!

I don't think even that number of birds could take that whale (?humpback?)

10-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #4629
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

question for posters/moderators

I have gone back 11 pages and cannot find a post from a moderator in this thread. I also checked the first post and found no guidance on this matter.

so I will just put this out for general comment/discussion

is this thread a Pentax/wildlife thread which requires the camera system used to capture the image be Pentax?

or

can you post any wildlife photo regardless of what camera system was used to capture the image?

I have photographs taken with a Nikon Coolpix p610 which I think might be enjoyable but I am nervous about posting them here because there is no Pentax link except that I am a member of these forums.

what are the thoughts of the moderator or the regular posters (you know who you are)
10-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #4630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Allen, generally, any photo from any camera is allowed, with the exception of a few threads, and the competitions such as the monthly challenge. Or unless the creator of the thread specifies that it should be Pentax Camera's only. An example of that would be the thread "The purely Pentax Grand Canyon Tribute". In the weekly Project 52 challenge, which I facilitate, any camera is allowed seeing that it is about technique. There are many images all over the Forum that are not taken by a Pentax. So, let's see what you've got. Besides, there is no reciprocal animosity from Pentax users towards Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus
10-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #4631
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, I'm convinced

here is a photo taken by me with a Nikon Coolpix P610 at the Serena Serengeti Lodge in the Serengeti National Park Tanzania

I know it is a Galago aka bush baby but can't tell if it is a lesser or greater bush baby. can anyone help. It was taken in the early evening in a group of trees between the rooms and the dining hall.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 
10-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #4632
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may be wrong, but its probably a Thick tailed Bushbaby, as the lesser one does not occur that far north. But it may well be another of the other 17 species identified. That tails does not look that thick.
Some Elephant and buffalo interaction. I thought the Elephants would chase the Buffalo away from the waterhole, but seemed indecisive about it, the eventually settled down to the presence of the Buffalo.
10-26-2016, 07:15 AM   #4633
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another elephant looking a little bit agitated.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #4634
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
these birds, included in the photo posted below (# 4616) have been identified with the help of Mike Grimes as 2 Crested Francolin (Francolinus sephaena) found in Tarangire National Park Tanzania

Id made by flickr member Oretani Wildlife (Mike Grimes) after I posted photos at Bird ID Help Line of the Field Guide: Birds of the World Flickr group, an excellent group and source of information

my source: "Birds of East Africa: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi" by Terry Stevenson and John Fanshawne [page 100, plate 50, page 101] indicates that the Crested Francolin's range covers Tarangire National Park which is where I found the bird. the same source indicates that the Shelley's Francolin's expected range does not include the Tarangire National Park - good guess tho.
Comparison with the illustrations at Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive | HBW Alive) (requires subscription) also indicates Crested Francolin. The markings on the face and neck of Shelley's are significantly different.
10-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #4635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Elephant