Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #4951
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Think I'll insert a giraffe, this one ambling along the way they do.
ambling

as opposed to "rollin"

01-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #4952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
FYI: "AMBLING" is used to describe a specific way of walking just as "gallop" or "canter" or "trot." When an animal is ambling, it moves both feet of one side, then both feet of the other. You can see the giraffe will next set down the left hind foot, then it will set the left fore, then the right hind, the right fore then back to left hind. It is not a common type a gait,
01-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #4953
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: "AMBLING" is used to describe a specific way of walking just as "gallop" or "canter" or "trot." When an animal is ambling, it moves both feet of one side, then both feet of the other. You can see the giraffe will next set down the left hind foot, then it will set the left fore, then the right hind, the right fore then back to left hind. It is not a common type a gait,

I knew that, and so it isn't a perfect fit but but I like the song

sue me
01-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #4954
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I knew that, and so it isn't a perfect fit but but I like the song

sue me
You probably know horses better than I, so you can confirm that they sometimes amble, or can be taught that gait, but I think it is natural for them when they are moving slowly.

01-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #4955
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

You probably know horses better than I, so you can confirm that they sometimes amble, or can be taught that gait, but I think it is natural for them when they are moving slowly.
I grew up in a farming community of 2,200 in east central Illinois, to those from the "city" I was a "country hick", to the "farm folks" (almost completely true farmers no livestock), I was a "city slicker".

I learned the difference between a cow, a bull and a steer and quickly decided I didn't want to end up a steer.

I figured if I didn't know much I need to have that type of minimal knowledge.

I have been on a horse two or three times in my life and one of those times, the beast kept trying to ram my leg into any tree that was around.
01-14-2017, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #4956
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one of the more special sightings @ Pilansberg National Park with my son recently- A Brown Hyena, with the shoulder/rib cage of some poor animal. This is the 2nd time I have seen a brown Hyena, and the previous occasion also In Pilansberg- on that occasion I sat listening to it crunching the bones of some animal. Totally awesome to have seen it. I may be wrong, but I suspect that Pilansberg forms the eastern most borders of its range. The only other occasion I saw a Brown Hyena was a dead one, south of Johannesburg, some 30 years ago.
Taken with my son's Canon Camera, the batteries on my K-30 decided to pack up just at this moment. I could have killed it.

01-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #4957
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I grew up in a farming community of 2,200 in east central Illinois, to those from the "city" I was a "country hick", to the "farm folks" (almost completely true farmers no livestock), I was a "city slicker".

I learned the difference between a cow, a bull and a steer and quickly decided I didn't want to end up a steer.

I figured if I didn't know much I need to have that type of minimal knowledge.

I have been on a horse two or three times in my life and one of those times, the beast kept trying to ram my leg into any tree that was around.
Well, I grew up in the suburbs of NYC, but spent a few summer weeks on a farm in Maine where my father was raised for a while (he was orphaned very young). They kept a pair of horses for pulling a variety of equipment, but they were never saddled. The John Deere was still a bit "new fangled." I may have been atop a real horse,or more likely a pony at some time when I was young, but mostly I rode the wooden sort that go round-and-round while the music plays.

01-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #4958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I grew in the city but I had family that had horses. I had to uncles that had ranches. I rode a lot horses when I was younger. Sadly all those relatives have passed on and my generation sold off all the farms. Here is a horse that does not get a saddle. Mongolian Wild Horse at Binder Park Zoo in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

01-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #4959
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another ambling giraffe
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #4960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black backed Jackal from my visit to Rietvlei Nature Reserve, Pretoria, yesterday.
01-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #4961
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great capture, noelcmn. Wonderful crisp detail.
This warthog, a captive, is almost camouflaged against the background. Maybe that's why they coat themselves with mud, dust, dung, goodness knows what (and can keep it a secret).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #4962
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe this is a Water Thick-knee (Burhinus vermiculatus) [Water Dikkop] captured in the Tarangire National Park in Tanzania

http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/birds/burhinidae/burhinus_vermiculatus.htm

K 5 II + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
01-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #4963
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, Water Thick Knee, the other one we have is a Spotted Thick knee.
Red Hartebeest
01-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #4964
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Yep, Water Thick Knee, the other one we have is a Spotted Thick knee.
Red Hartebeest
So unaccustomed to see fields of flower such as that in Africa. The hartebeest almost looks out of place.
01-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #4965
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, we have had plenty of rains the last couple of days, some of our dams have risen from 24% to just under 60% in two weeks. We are very glad for that, as we've been suffering from the worst drought in over 100 years. This was at Rietvlei Nature Reserve, and whatever these flowers are, they were in abundance.