Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #5281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feeding bears and storing trash in containers that bears could get into became a major problem in national parks, notoriously Yellowstone. Back in the 1950's it was a joke, and expected, and part of the fun and "experience" of visiting Yellowstone. But it became a problem and dangerous for people and bears, and there were almost unbelievable stupid people who were getting out of cars when there was a "bear jam" and trying to put their kid on a bear's back to capture on film an "unforgettable memory." Sure.

02-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #5282
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

boy that was some flood

(actually, the big guy was probably just bathing. note the area between the eyes and the ears on the head that shows he is in musth

Musth )

that is the wall of the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania in the background

the close crop show what appears to be a small wound but is actually the gland opening

---------- Post added 02-11-17 at 08:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
. . .. Not 5 km from me are some Peregrine Falcons that reside in a building, and have been there for years- their food supply readily available in the form of doves and pigeons. . . .

here is a link to info about our Peregrine falcons

Peregrine falcon cams and updates ? peregrine falcon cams and updates

note the link contains links to live views (outside/inside)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2017 at 07:56 AM.
02-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #5283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Feeding bears and storing trash in containers that bears could get into became a major problem in national parks, notoriously Yellowstone. Back in the 1950's it was a joke, and expected, and part of the fun and "experience" of visiting Yellowstone. But it became a problem and dangerous for people and bears, and there were almost unbelievable stupid people who were getting out of cars when there was a "bear jam" and trying to put their kid on a bear's back to capture on film an "unforgettable memory." Sure.
When I was a kid in the 50s, my parents took me to Yellowstone. Apparently my mom took a few hours to run a string line around our tent so the bears wandering the campsite would not come and snatch me from my play area. She put stakes in the ground and ran some wrapping string around it.

From my perspective, I seriously question the right of anyone to get out of their car in areas inhabited by wildlife unless they've undergone formal training in wildlife management and ecological systems. We take wildlife for granted here.

Give us another century and we'll be just like Europe. No wild places, people every where, animals in zoos.

Last edited by normhead; 02-11-2017 at 08:19 AM.
02-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #5284
Veteran Member

Kittens are hopelessly cute. They seem perpetually to be having so much fun playing with anything and everything available. Looks as though the lioness has an injury on her knee.
Many of the wildlife I have seen had some injury on their skin. They are not feed or whatever. They are in the savanah and have to do it themselve in the widerness. I guess that not easy

And yep, kittens are increadibly cute !!!

02-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #5285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Many of the wildlife I have seen had some injury on their skin. They are not feed or whatever. They are in the savanah and have to do it themselve in the widerness. I guess that not easy

And yep, kittens are increadibly cute !!!
Or as one wildlife person put it, the biggest dangers to a bear is another bear. (The biggest danger to a man is another human as well.) Animals tend to occupy finite amounts of range, which they have to fight to defend. Then every year they have a litter of new ones who to survive must fit into an already full ecosystem. They must in the end occupy a territory currently occupied by another animal, and that territory won't be big enough for both of them.
02-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #5286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or as one wildlife person put it, the biggest dangers to a bear is another bear. (The biggest danger to a man is another human as well.) Animals tend to occupy finite amounts of range, which they have to fight to defend. Then every year they have a litter of new ones who to survive must fit into an already full ecosystem. They must in the end occupy a territory currently occupied by another animal, and that territory won't be big enough for both of them.

Yep, the guide explained us that the lioness didn't worry one bit about us. They couldn't care less. What they were worried of is a lone male nor far from there that would kill all the young so the female can get ready quick to mate again.
02-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #5287
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

speaking of a lioness

1 - any idea about dinner???

2 - that's what I think about that idea!!

we found these two busy attempting to make another generation if you catch my drift. these photos were taken when they were resting from their "exercise". This was in the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-11-2017, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #5288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Give us another century and we'll be just like Europe. No wild places, people every where, animals in zoos.
Here I go again on my high horse. There is only one problem = too many people. Everything else is a symptom or consequence. Unless that one problem is addressed, putting money into the symptoms and consequences is like putting a band aid on a malignant melanoma. But any and all politicians solve the problem with "more" = more housing, more food, more jobs, more roads, more water, more electricity, etc. Typical political solution to all problems? Get the economy growing, the more and faster the better.
02-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #5289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oooh, we have opened a can of worms here. Maybe Africa is different, we have so many wildlife places, with guys like Paul Kruger, who recognised the need to create a place where an ecosystem could remain in place, and animals can survive. What followed is Kruger Park, and a host of others, not just South Africa. I'd guess some sort of balance between spaces for wildlife and humans is a dream. We can but hope.
Tawny Eagle- and Intra-African migrant.
02-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #5290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spoonbills again. Sadly, even wonderful game and wildlife preserves, national parks, monuments, forests etc., can be gone as quickly as a change of government whether by election, coup or revolution.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-11-2017, 01:08 PM - 2 Likes   #5291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True dat!
Bushbuck, an elegant and dignified antelope
02-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #5292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Bushbuck, an elegant and dignified antelope
That is a fine image of a truly handsome animal. The natural world yet provides wonderments that delight.
02-11-2017, 02:36 PM - 3 Likes   #5293
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, today was very nice, mid 60's (F) so I decided to wander the grounds of the Topeka Zoological Park with the K 3 and the "big guy" HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW to see what would happen if I hand held.

what I learned:

1 there is no doubt, it is heavy, I had it across my shoulder a few times to give me a break from just having it hang along my side

2 that the trumpeter swans were bugling, bobbing and dipping heads and displaying their wing spans - very quickly - mating behavior or competition???

3 the swans knew I was taking their photos and did their best to ruin my comments

1 ok ducks lets see you do this

2 lets ruin that guy's "twin" photo

3 not quite yet

4 as close to a mirror image as I could get
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #5294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aslyfox: The last image is a real winner.
02-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #5295
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Aslyfox: The last image is a real winner.
thanks that is what I thought too