Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #5566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What else are you going to do while the sun is out? This harbor seal knows what's up.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #5567
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
No eggs yet, but this peregrine falcon is standing watch over the nest site.
Cool! The closest I've been to a Peregrine nesting site was at Castle Hill in Townsville. Well done getting closer to one!
03-22-2017, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #5568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forest Buzzard
03-22-2017, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #5569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finch almost out of sight in the feeder tray.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-15-2017 at 12:56 PM.
03-22-2017, 03:44 AM   #5570
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Emu
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
03-22-2017, 03:49 AM   #5571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ratites look intense, but none too bright. When other paleontologists spouted on about the "intelligence" of dinosaurs, as in "Jurassic Park," I'd advice them to spend some time with an emu or rhea trying to teach just about anything.

Oh. And two shots of a sperm whale. Except when they lift their tail when sounding, you don't get to see much of them for a picture.

03-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #5572
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sleepy Time!

---------- Post added 22-03-17 at 10:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Ratites look intense, but none too bright. When other paleontologists spouted on about the "intelligence" of dinosaurs, as in "Jurassic Park," I'd advice them to spend some time with an emu or rhea trying to teach just about anything. Oh. And two shots of a sperm whale. Except when they lift their tail when sounding, you don't get to see much of them for a picture.
Cool whale pics! Emus are just as intelligent as they need to be, I guess. Some birds are highly intelligent. Emus may not be a good example. They seem curious to me, but nowhere near the intelligence of parrots. I've watched wild Corellas playing with each other, and the local Cockatoos pull the rubber linings out of the street lights for the fun of it.

03-22-2017, 04:51 AM   #5573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

Sleepy Time!

---------- Post added 22-03-17 at 10:13 PM ----------

Cool whale pics! Emus are just as intelligent as they need to be, I guess. Some birds are highly intelligent. Emus may not be a good example. They seem curious to me, but nowhere near the intelligence of parrots. I've watched wild Corellas playing with each other, and the local Cockatoos pull the rubber linings out of the street lights for the fun of it.
Parrots sometimes display startlingly evidence of "intelligence," the kea perhaps being the "smartest" of modern birds. But, they have 65 million years of additional evolution since the dinosaurs went extinct to become "smart," and perhaps 100 million years before that since birds and dinosaurs split into distinctly separate lineages. That's enough time to convert a tiny mouse-sized mammal into an astronaut. The ratites have changed far less since the end of the dinosaurs than other modern birds, and are probably more like the raptors from which birds evolved than any other modern avian. Here's an anecdote. A zoo I visited had a bird show that included an emu. Two keepers came out on opposite sides of the field where the show was staged, each with a white plastic container (bottom half of of a milk carton as I recall) that held emu chow. One handler keeps the container behind their back, the other holds theirs out and shakes it vigorously. The emu, between them, is meanwhile pecking at the ground, turning this way and that, until suddenly it sees the handler shaking the container. Immediately it runs over and starts eating. The handler suddenly whisks the container behind their back. Immediately the emu looses interest and goes back to pecking randomly on the ground. Meanwhile the other handler has brought their container to the front and is shaking it noisily. The emu does not respond until it happens to see the handler and then it runs over and starts gorging on the pellets. The second handler whips the container behind their back and again, for the emu the container has ceased to exist. This emu had been doing the show twice daily for nine years and had so far failed to learn 1) when doing the show, I will get food; 2) the handlers will be offering that food; 3) the sound made by pellets rattling means food is being offered; 4) when the container disappears, the handler still has it behind their back; 4) when one handler is not offering food, the second handler will and the sound of pellets rattling is the cue. The emu is stuck on: a good visual target (=white container) contains food - period. I doubt that any dinosaur had significantly better intellect, despite the fairy tales.
03-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #5574
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my first encounter with a whale was from a small 1 mast sail boat ( myself, the captain and two honeymooners ), off of San Diego. we were looking for whales without success but we did see an inbound nuclear sub and then suddenly between us and the point a grey whale did a full breach as the boat was heeling away, I stumbled and had no chance to get the shot this was in the early 2000s

we then went on an inland passage cruise and upon arrival at Juneau went to Auk Bay and out on a small tourist boat we first came across humpbacks bubble feeding

[ more info on bubble feeding - http://alaskasphotos.com/main.php/v/MLS_6555c-bubble-net-feeding.html ]

and then leaving that group found a mother humpback and calf breaching

unfortunately for others, I only had a cannon point and shoot with me here are the cropped photos of some of the shots (may be xposted)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2017 at 08:15 AM.
03-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #5575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Female Nyala
03-22-2017, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #5576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted other images of this fearless little grouse when I first took pictures of it several years back. It came too close for the lens to focus properly. The pavement is atop an old RR R-O-W converted to a pedestrian/bicycle trail. Along this stretch it goes past a large beaver pond and is a good place to look for insects, birds (waterfowl & warblers) and some reptiles (a huge number of water snakes one year). As you can see, this fellow was thinking of hopping into my photo-backpack. The second image, taken a bit later with flash, is sharper with truer colors.

03-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #5577
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Great White Pelican Pelecanus onocrotalus in the Lake Manyara National Park in Tanzania

ADW: Pelecanus onocrotalus: INFORMATION
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 
03-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #5578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something a little different for this thread, a truly wild sea turtle spotted during a whale watch.

03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #5579
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this is a White-bellied Go-away-bird Criniferoides leucogaster found in the Tarangire National Park in Tanzania

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/whitebelliedgoawaybirds.html

"Like other go-away-birds, they got their name because of their sentinel calls that sound like "Go Away." Their voice consists of one or two syllable barks with some longer wailing notes. Their call consists of a loud and nasal "gwaa." When they are calling, it is almost as if they are saying "go-wayeer" - hence their name.

Their call is very helpful to prey animals because they will start calling loudly when a predator such as leopards or humans enters the territory.

These birds usually fly very noisily from one tree to another."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX P610  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2017 at 06:54 PM.
03-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #5580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Female boat-tailed grackle primping a bit.