Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #5656
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a series from the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania:

Zebras and Wildebeests

this huge group of mixed herbivores also contained a large number of Cape Buffalo. the corner of the vehicle in the lower left was the land rover driven by two rangers.

All were being held up from getting to the fresh water stream by the presence of a lion and lioness who were relaxing from their efforts to make the next generation of Panthera leo

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-05-2017, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #5657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little downy woodpecker enjoying the suet feeder.
Attached Images

04-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #5658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are doing the same thing over here too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-06-2017, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #5659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A blesbok/Bontebok

04-06-2017, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #5660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Purple finch waiting for a turn at the feeder. The list of feeder visitors now includes: black-cap chickadee, tufted titmouse, purple finch, slate-colored junco, blue jay, mockingbird, downy, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, blue bird, cardinal, white-throated and song sparrows, goldfinch, red and grey squirrels (and one visit by a melanistic grey squirrel), and a vixen after the squirrels and Annabelle. But M says I should take down the feeder because it's time for the bears to awake from their winter sleep, but that would add one more visitor to my list.

Forgot one: the little Carolina wren that's been after the suet now and then.
Yet more: brown-headed cowbird; red-wing blackbird; white-breasted nuthatch; mourning dove.
Past years we've also seen starlings; purple grackle; evening and rose-breasted grosbeak (males of the latter can be stunning); red-breasted nuthatch; chipping sparrows on the ground but not up on the feeder.

And Raccoons
Attached Images

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.
04-06-2017, 04:57 AM   #5661
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Purple finch waiting for a turn at the feeder. The list of feeder visitors now includes: black-cap chickadee, tufted titmouse, purple finch, slate-colored junco, blue jay, mockingbird, downy, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, blue bird, cardinal, white-throated and song sparrows, goldfinch, red and grey squirrels (and one visit by a melanistic grey squirrel), and a vixen after the squirrels and Annabelle. But M says I should take down the feeder because it's time for the bears to awake from their winter sleep, but that would add one more visitor to my list.
my back yard is sorely lacking compared to yours, a few squirrels, robins, house sparrows, mourning doves and a cardinal or two are the few species I have seen

but I then I put out no feed and I live in the middle of town with a white oak, kentucky coffee bean and a maple, no flowers or plants except those "volunteers" invading my grass.
04-06-2017, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #5662

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
a series from the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania:

Zebras and Wildebeests

this huge group of mixed herbivores also contained a large number of Cape Buffalo. the corner of the vehicle in the lower left was the land rover driven by two rangers.

All were being held up from getting to the fresh water stream by the presence of a lion and lioness who were relaxing from their efforts to make the next generation of Panthera leo
Some other herds of the same species from my september trip to Tanzania, the first thrre in Ngorongoro crater and the last three in Serengeti. All using K3 + HD-DA 55-300 (the screwdriven AF model). More on my flickr gallery.

04-06-2017, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #5663
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eland
04-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #5664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The neighborhood northern flicker also insists on getting its share of the suet. It is quite the pecking order. The flicker will run off the downy woodpecker, but for some reason, starlings get first "dibs".
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #5665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Arctic (northern) fulmar from above, an advantage of an island with high seaward cliffs (to get this perspective, no need to jump)
Attached Images

04-06-2017, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #5666
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Juvenile Bateleur Eagle
04-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #5667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This Eastern Phoebe was working along a small creek maybe to gather nesting materials. After the first photo he flew over and sat on the edge of a bridge support in the bright sunshine.

04-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #5668
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

at a zoo you can be confused over what is a wild bird and what is a captive

I have confirmed that all of the ducks and the geese located at the outside ponds at the Topeka Zoological Park are wild, able to migrate at will and though some may have been tagged elsewhere, there is no active tagging of them by the zoo personnel. Although free to migrate some choose to stay around year long.

on the other hand the pair of Trumpeter Swans have been "pinioned" early in their life and can fly for short distances only they do not roam or migrate.

The Swans are currently trying to drive other duck and geese from their nesting grounds and there are at least two active Canada Goose nests with eggs. one which started in the last 24 hours. it was located literally on "the other side of the fence" which borders the bridge over the two ponds.

initially the goose was sitting on the new nest, it then began to gather grass to "feather" the nest, finally using some to cover the eggs and wandered a few more feet away. I then got the shot of the 2 eggs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #5669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best shot so far of a pugnacious little Carolina wren that mostly goes for the suet, but here it's down scrounging for something on one of the seed platforms.
Attached Images

04-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #5670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fish Eagle.