01-21-2018, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #6391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

01-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #6392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Something additional I things I should add, as Des asked me about it. Thanks Des!

If you use the 1.4x AF adapter with the DA* 300mm and K-1, there is definite vignetting. The 1.4x allows the lens to focus, instead of the adapter. That's why I used the 1.4x instead of my 1.7x.

It is my understanding that the f series 1.7x adapter does all the focus work, and one needs to manually focus close to your subject in order for it to function properly. I've not tested it
with my DA* 300mm to verify that yet.

Before someone rushes out to get the Pentax DA 1.4x adapter to use with the the DA* 300mm and K-1, please look at the view below to see if this is acceptable to you.

This is the original unprocessed image. You can see thumbnails of some of the images I took, along with the processed thumbnail of one of the images I posted earlier here.

Last edited by rgknief60; 01-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.
01-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #6393
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Before someone rushes out to get the Pentax DA 1.4x adapter to use with the the DA* 300mm and K-1, please look at the view below to see if this is acceptable to you.
Doesn't the K1 have a "crop mode" where it crops to APS-C? I guess I'm not surprised by the vignetting since the TC is a DA device not a DFA one?
01-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #6394
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Doesn't the K1 have a "crop mode" where it crops to APS-C? I guess I'm not surprised by the vignetting since the TC is a DA device not a DFA one?
I don't have a K 1 but from reading about it:

yes, it can be set for crop mode

" The remaining 41 DA crop lenses can be used in the K-1's APS-C crop mode, and at least a handful of them, such as the DA* 55mm, DA 50mm, DA 40mm Limited, and DA* 60-250mm can reliably be used in full-frame mode. We will conduct a detailed investigation of crop lens performance on the K-1 in an upcoming review. "
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-review/available-lenses.html#ixzz54sSdPttO

" Any tile in the stills version of the Control Panel can be customized to control the following 38 settings:
File format, JPEG size, JPEG quality
Minimum and maximum auto ISO
AF.S/AF.C, AF points, AF area
Metering mode
AF assist light
Flash mode and flash EV compensation
Program line
SD card options
Crop mode
Focus peaking
Shadow/highlight correction, noise reduction (2)
Clarify enhancement, skin tone, digital filters, HDR
Pixel Shift, Astrotracer, AA Filter Simulator
Shake Reduction, Composition Adjustment, Horizon correction
Lens corrections (4)
SR focal length (manual lenses only)
Viewfinder gird, electronic level
Wi-Fi on/off "

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - User Interface | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Continuous Shooting
Full frame: H: 4.4 fps (70 JPG, 17 RAW) M: 3.0 fps (100 JPG, 20 RAW) L: 0.7 fps (100 JPG, 100 RAW)
APS-C crop: H: 6.5 fps (100 JPG, 50 RAW) M: 3.0 fps (100 JPG, 70 RAW) L: 1.0 fls (100 JPG, 100 RAW)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-1&c...=Pentax+K-3+II

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-21-2018 at 07:41 PM.
01-21-2018, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #6395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has a crop mode, but I prefer to crop the image myself, and get as much real estate off the K-1 as possible.
I purchased the 1.4x prior to buying the K-1. I thought I'd best post the vignette, as some might not realize that
the 1.4 is not a DFA. I'd hate for someone with a K-1 to go off and buy the DA 1.4x based on my crop, not
realizing the fact that it vignettes badly. At the distances I was shooting, it did not make a difference to me, but
different folks use the adapter differently. There are many cases where I would not use it due to the vignette.

Addendum:

And for the inevitable question for the pixel peepers out there...here is a actual pixel crop. This was handheld, I shake,
so a tripod would probably do a touch better.

DA* 300, 1.4x, K-1 actual pixel crop

Last edited by rgknief60; 01-21-2018 at 08:25 PM.
01-21-2018, 09:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicobar pigeon. Went into a batch of unprocessed images taken at the Miami zoo five years back, some of them pretty good. Regrettably many, perhaps most of the birds are not identified as there were many more within the aviary than were covered by the signage I could locate (I routinely photograph labels for unfamiliar animals). So I'll be posting some unnamed birds and would welcome any identifications offered, but it won't be easy as the aviary had specimens from every continent, and that is a lot of different birds.
Attached Images

01-21-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #6397
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It has a crop mode, but I prefer to crop the image myself, and get as much real estate off the K-1 as possible.
I purchased the 1.4x prior to buying the K-1. I thought I'd best post the vignette, as some might not realize that
the 1.4 is not a DFA. I'd hate for someone with a K-1 to go off and buy the DA 1.4x based on my crop, not
realizing the fact that it vignettes badly.
I agree, and of course it's your choice not to use the crop mode.

01-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #6398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, and of course it's your choice not to use the crop mode.
It also helps when my composition is a wee bit off!

I also use center spot for AF & exposure. Focus on the head, then recomposing
changes the focus on the head ever so slightly. That's another reason I don't use
the crop mode, and instead depend on the extra pixels the K-1 provides.

If I were to manually choose the focus point, that probably would not be a problem,
except most times birds don't sit still long enough for me to do that.

---------- Post added 01-21-18 at 10:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Nicobar pigeon.
Real nice, Walt!
01-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #6399
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also use center spot for AF & exposure. Focus on the head, then recomposing changes the focus on the head ever so slightly. That's another reason I don't use the crop mode, and instead depend on the extra pixels the K-1 provides. If I were to manually choose the focus point, that probably would not be a problem, except most times birds don't sit still long enough for me to do that.
Likewise! I don't generally have the time or opportunity to use a hide, so my wildlife photos are taken quickly, when the opportunity presents itself.
01-22-2018, 12:33 AM - 2 Likes   #6400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another Nicobar Pigeon, also from a local bird park
01-22-2018, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #6401
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mandarin duck, which I knew even without a sign as it is displayed at many zoos, probably because of a combination of being a really pretty bird and being easy to keep.
Attached Images

01-22-2018, 05:53 AM - 2 Likes   #6402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black Egret, always special to see, especially when they use their wings to create an umbrella to attract prey.
01-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #6403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Otters - one alert, one at leisure, zoo specimens. Not sure what particular species these are, not necessarily the common North American river otter.
Attached Images

01-22-2018, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #6404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't think I've posted this before-Springbok, our national animal
01-22-2018, 06:48 AM - 3 Likes   #6405
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Green-winged dove
Attached Images