Show Printable Version 6756 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #676
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

09-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #677
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding Hummingbird shots Tim! I was thinking of adding a hummingbird shot, if so I have to hide it at the bottom of this post.

Sparrow hiding in the bush

Unknown Skipper:

Common Buckeye:

Silver Spottes Skipper:

Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird:
09-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Outstanding Hummingbird shots Tim! I was thinking of adding a hummingbird shot, if so I have to hide it at the bottom of this post.

Sparrow hiding in the bush

Unknown Skipper:

Common Buckeye:

Silver Spottes Skipper:

Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird:

I have a unknown Skipper too.

09-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
No need to hide a shot like that hummer, Tom -- that is excellent! Great set all around.

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
I have a unknown Skipper too.
Well, then, make it three:

(cross-posted from https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/15650...ml#post2099547)

I'm poor on butterfly ID to begin with, but am finding skippers nearly impossible -- there are just so many similar-looking ones.

09-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #680
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
No need to hide a shot like that hummer, Tom -- that is excellent! Great set all around.

Well, then, make it three:

(cross-posted from https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/15650...ml#post2099547)

I'm poor on butterfly ID to begin with, but am finding skippers nearly impossible -- there are just so many similar-looking ones.

That is a weird one I do not have a clue I noticed y'all have the same yellow ones we have though.
09-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bugguide is a place you can submit a photo and maybe get it identified. I found out from yhr site that mine above is most likely a Peck's Skipper, definitely a female.
09-15-2012, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #682
Veteran Member

The Bugle of the Bull Elk

I went hiking in the mountains today to try out my new Nex 5n. I also tried out a new (to me) lens I just received, a Takumar 300mm F4 Preset (18 aperture blades).

It is getting into the rut season for elk here in northern Colorado. When you go into the mountains this time of year, you can hear elk bugles echoing through the mountains. It is an awesome sound to hear, especially when you are hiking all alone up in the high country.

Right from the start of the hike today, the elk bugles were numerous. There were many bull elk in the area and they are starting to compete to build their harems. An hour or so into the hike, I heard a loud bugle close by, just up the ridge. I started to climb. Now this time of year you have to be careful getting close to the big bulls, they are pretty touchy and it doesn't take much to set them off.

As I got up to the ridge line, another bugle sounded. It was VERY close. So, I squatted down and started looking through the trees to see if I could spot the bull. It didn't take long to spot him as he slowly moved through the trees (you could hear his antlers hitting against the trees and branches).

I took my time and slowly worked my way towards him. I was none to eager to startle that bull.

He had a small harem gathered at the top of the ridge. There were a half dozen cows and a couple of yearlings.

I sat close the the small herd for about an hour. The bull would bugle every few minutes, answering other bugles from other bulls in the area. On a few occasions, other bulls would get too close and he would run down the side of the mountain to chase them off.

During one the bulls absences, a cow grazed up to within 20 feet of me.

I started to get uncomfortable as more bulls were moving into the area. The bull I've been photographing was starting to get more agitated and huffing/bugling a lot, so I took a couple more photos, then eased away from the herd.

It was a great hike and a memorable experience.

I kind of wish I had my K20D with me since this was my first day out with the Nex 5n and I wasn't real comfortable with it, especially with a 300mm lens. The Nex 5n didn't let me down though.

09-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #683
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does this count?

K5, DA*55
09-16-2012, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #684
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Thanks for sharing both shots and info. That long-tailed shrike is a brilliant shot.
Thank you Baro-Nite.

Some more, from another day in the Kruger Park
Hadeda Ibis

Arrow Marked Babbler- a noisy bird, but hard to capture-it is furtive and restless.

White Helmetshrike

Kudu Bull- it is the horns of this antelope that forms the logo of the SA National Parks Board, under which the Kruger Park falls

Green Pigeon-always a plesure to see. loves hanging upside down, much like parrot, especially at a food source.
09-27-2012, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bluejay: Check

I've complained more than once that I've found Bluejays very difficult to photograph because they're so wary. Well, I got lucky yesterday when one perched in the dead oak out back. Mission accomplished.

09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #686
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Bluejay: Check
Great shots!
09-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #687
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 Dadipentak
09-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tthanks guys!
09-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #689
Veteran Member

Norther Flicker in the yard today - not the right lens for the 300mm lens club......

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:30 AM.
09-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took a walk in the woods today, it was beautiful out and I wanted to test an FA100-300 I just acquired. The first shot with the 100-300 is backlit. Then I moved around to the other side, however, the second and third shots were taken with the DFA100WR: