Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6760 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #706
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the comments, friends. I am sure most of you nature photography buffs would agree that it is great therapy to relax amongst the wildlife and watch, hoping for a good shot. It seems to me the less I worry about the photo, and the more I just enjoy the birds and such, everything gets easier.

10-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #707
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Think I'll post a couple
Nice set, Tom!

Here are a couple of my favorite bug-eaters.

10-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #708
Veteran Member

What a nice pose on the first one Dave!
10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #709
Veteran Member

Nice shots Dave Is that first one a Kinglet? They don't sit still for long.

10-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #710
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, guys! The first is a Phoebe (I think). They're quick moving too but tend to fly off, grab a bug and return to the same spot. I got a slightly sharper shot of it in a more conventional pose but preferred this version. The second is a flycatcher of some sort but I'm really not sure which--the color from early morning sunlight complicates identification.
10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #711

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Welcome, and what a Great first post! Magnificent bird.
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
+1 (I'm totally envious.)
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Nice owl fuzzfuzz

Think I'll post a couple

Thanks Guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I've only seen a few owls in the wild and they always see me first so they don't stick around. I have one picture with two huge yellow eyes behind a big bush that one flew to for cover. Congratulations on getting a great shot!

@borno those are some great photos!!

I camped in the forest for hours to get a nice hawk or eagle shot with no luck so i gave up but on the way to the car i saw that big gal flying.
She landed in a tree near me but the owl didn't like my company so i flew away but I'm to stubborn to let it go so i started to running after her through the dense forest with my k-5 and the sigma 70-200 in my hands. She landed in a tree again but this time she didn't care about me, just stared(see the first picture) at med when i was to loud and ruined his hunt.
After a while she changed tree and i ran after her again and the same thing happened again many times. I kept the bird company for approximately 45 minutes until she was tired of me and flow far away and left me alone in the forest with no clue were i was .

Name:  uggla2.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  uggla1.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  135.7 KB
10-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #712
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great adventure fuzzfuzz! I'd have thought running through the woods after a bird would be an exercise in futility (as well as difficult.) I can't say I'm totally glad to learn that it works sometimes. The face in the front-on shot is splendid.

10-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzfuzz Quote
Thanks Guys!

I camped in the forest for hours to get a nice hawk or eagle shot with no luck so i gave up but on the way to the car i saw that big gal flying.
She landed in a tree near me but the owl didn't like my company so i flew away but I'm to stubborn to let it go so i started to running after her through the dense forest with my k-5 and the sigma 70-200 in my hands. She landed in a tree again but this time she didn't care about me, just stared(see the first picture) at med when i was to loud and ruined his hunt.
After a while she changed tree and i ran after her again and the same thing happened again many times. I kept the bird company for approximately 45 minutes until she was tired of me and flow far away and left me alone in the forest with no clue were i was .

Attachment 142643

Attachment 142644
Great story & great captures! She really made you work for those shots
10-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #714
Veteran Member

The deer and bears started showing up in the back yard so that i can exercise the f*300mm

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]
10-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool Ivoire. Despite the abundance of wildlife here in South Africa, I would still like to see a wild bear.
10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
The deer and bears started showing up in the back yard
Bears in the 'burbs?! Wow.
10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #717
Veteran Member

Bears in the 'burbs?! Wow.
Yes and no. I forgot to mention i am in Lake Mary Florida for a month or 2. The place i am staying backs up to the Weikiva Forest Preserve. The Bears and deer cross the back 2 acres of the property when they travel thru the preserve. Across the street from where i reside is the elementary and middle school. I actually treed a young bear while taking the recycle to the street last wednesday evening. I went into the house and grabbed the camera and realized it was the 70mm lens on it a bit too late. Having to get very close was a bit scary and when the bear started growling, huffing and shifting in the tree the camera got scared (see the blurriness in the pics?!)

Last edited by ivoire; 03-18-2014 at 10:15 AM.
10-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #718
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Very cool Ivoire. Despite the abundance of wildlife here in South Africa, I would still like to see a wild bear.
Thanks.... I'd like to see some lions (but not as close as the bears were)
10-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
the camera got scared
Confirms my suspicion that, in some ways, modern cameras are smarter than the photographers who use them. ;~)
10-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #720
Veteran Member

Confirms my suspicion that, in some ways, modern cameras are smarter than the photographers who use them. ;~)
So my woman keeps reminding me