Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thick Billed Weaver, displaying at his just-built nest
02-04-2019, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #8407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted other images of this aging zoo lion several years ago. I really like his face. In the wild I doubt he would have lived as long as I think this fellow has.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-04-2019, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #8408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely the case. Though it remains a huge controversial issue, and here's a story of Lammie- The lone Johannesburg Zoo Elephant. Zoos need a radical rethink ? a plea for Joburg?s L...

Watcha watching me for?
02-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #8409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Definitely the case. Though it remains a huge controversial issue, and here's a story of Lammie- The lone Johannesburg Zoo Elephant. Zoos need a radical rethink ? a plea for Joburg?s L..

IMHO: releasing into the wild an adult animal that's spent all its life in a zoo is pretty much condemning it to quick death. Might as well shoot it. I visited a baby elephant rehab facility in Kenya, dozens of baby to juvenile elephants mostly orphaned by poachers, or in some cases the parent was struck by a vehicle. The young are kept in like-age groups to make sure they socialized with elephants, but when released, it all depends on whether some herd will or will not accept them, there's no guarantee that a release will be successful. With other species - big cats, any of numerous species of antelope or bovids - will the predators know how to hunt? will a young male lion know how to establish or penetrate a pride? will a cheetah that's never been "taught" by its mother how to stalk and run down a gazelle do it correctly? will released antelope that have never lived in the wild realize that a lion or cheetah is a threat to its life? Is it "better" to release such animals to inevitable starvation or violent death within months, or better just to euthanize them to free them from the agony of captivity?
HOWEVER: Modern zoos have a major responsibility to make enclosures as comfortable for the animal as possible. I remember watching a program about zoos where in one episode they obtained a tiger from a private, roadside zoo where it had spent almost all of its life in a 12X12 foot cage. It was released into a naturalized exhibit with a lot of trees and running water that widened in spots to pools. The tiger was hesitant moving out and seemed bewildered by the feel of the water when it waded into one of the pools, but then it settled down into the water and for all a human could determine, it looked as though the animal had found itself in paradise.

And then there's Pere David's Deer and Przewalski's horse: certainly the former and possible the latter would be extinct except for zoo specimens.
02-04-2019, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #8410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But life can be good in the wild, if you're in your prime and at the peak of the food pyramid
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
02-04-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #8411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
IMHO: releasing into the wild an adult animal that's spent all its life in a zoo is pretty much condemning it to quick death. Might as well shoot it. I visited a baby elephant rehab facility in Kenya, dozens of baby to juvenile elephants mostly orphaned by poachers, or in some cases the parent was struck by a vehicle. The young are kept in like-age groups to make sure they socialized with elephants, but when released, it all depends on whether some herd will or will not accept them, there's no guarantee that a release will be successful. With other species - big cats, any of numerous species of antelope or bovids - will the predators know how to hunt? will a young male lion know how to establish or penetrate a pride? will a cheetah that's never been "taught" by its mother how to stalk and run down a gazelle do it correctly? will released antelope that have never lived in the wild realize that a lion or cheetah is a threat to its life? Is it "better" to release such animals to inevitable starvation or violent death within months, or better just to euthanize them to free them from the agony of captivity?
HOWEVER: Modern zoos have a major responsibility to make enclosures as comfortable for the animal as possible. I remember watching a program about zoos where in one episode they obtained a tiger from a private, roadside zoo where it had spent almost all of its life in a 12X12 foot cage. It was released into a naturalized exhibit with a lot of trees and running water that widened in spots to pools. The tiger was hesitant moving out and seemed bewildered by the feel of the water when it waded into one of the pools, but then it settled down into the water and for all a human could determine, it looked as though the animal had found itself in paradise.

And then there's Pere David's Deer and Przewalski's horse: certainly the former and possible the latter would be extinct except for zoo specimens.
It remains a contentious issue, but with Lammie I think the Zoo is correct, and I do hope that a companion, at least one, will be found for her. I have "known" Lammie since she was born, from my oft visits to Jhb Zoo.

The apex of the food chain, here relaxing after a bout of reproductive activity.
02-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #8412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Must we get in line?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
02-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #8413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, but the queue is quite long!
02-04-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #8414
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a liberated lioness - - he'll have to come to me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
02-05-2019, 04:20 AM   #8415
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can live with that sentiment