Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #856
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you decided to revisit. Really nice hummer shots. Third one made me smile. TFS.

01-05-2013, 09:28 PM - 2 Likes   #857
Veteran Member

Pine Siskin - a few of these guys visited us with a huge flock of Common Redpolls this week

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:22 AM.
01-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great birds, I had a flock of them here earlier in the season for a couple of weeks, first time ever... then gone! I did not manage to get a photo, however. Bravo!
01-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent shot Stan! The light is subtle yet brings out feather texture nicely, and really makes the yellow markings stand out. An excellent clean composition and you have a winner!

Edit: Looking again, the light is really interesting. You're getting nice separation lighting around a lot of the bird. Is there something reflective underneath?

Last edited by baro-nite; 01-06-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: additional thoughts...
01-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #860
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Great birds, I had a flock of them here earlier in the season for a couple of weeks, first time ever... then gone! I did not manage to get a photo, however. Bravo!
There were a few of them that came with the huge flock of Common Redpolls last week - it already seems they are moving on - glad I got some pics. I have a bunch more of the Redpolls to post once I get through sorting them all.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Excellent shot Stan! The light is subtle yet brings out feather texture nicely, and really makes the yellow markings stand out. An excellent clean composition and you have a winner!

Edit: Looking again, the light is really interesting. You're getting nice separation lighting around a lot of the bird. Is there something reflective underneath?
Thanks for the comments. I must say that I even impressed myself with the set I took that day - will be posting more in the next couple days.

There is snow on the ground - the stick/branch is ~10' above the ground. It was a cloudy day, but I like shooting on cloudy/overcast days a lot for the even lighting. I guess the snow underneath helped.
01-06-2013, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #861
Veteran Member

Finally got through the rest of the Common Redpoll images. I started out with over 1000 images - first cut brought me down to ~500. Final cut - I just could not delete any more than 120 images - thank goodness for large hard drives!

It was tough to pick just a few of the best after spending a couple days on and off sorting and processing all the images. So here is just a small sampling of 4 images - I have 17 of what I think are the best uploaded to my website: Common Redpoll

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:22 AM.
01-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I started out with over 1000 images
I want that perch. Were these from the focus trap you set up?

01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #863
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I want that perch. Were these from the focus trap you set up?
Yes - all these were from my catch-in-focus session from that one day. I am just floored by how this all turned out for my first time doing this. Can't wait for the Hummingbirds this spring! I'm also going to experiment with setting up a softbox with radio triggers on a day when the weather cooperates.
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally got through the rest of the Common Redpoll images. I started out with over 1000 images - first cut brought me down to ~500. Final cut - I just could not delete any more than 120 images - thank goodness for large hard drives!

It was tough to pick just a few of the best after spending a couple days on and off sorting and processing all the images. So here is just a small sampling of 4 images - I have 17 of what I think are the best uploaded to my website: Common Redpoll

Just wonderful Stan!
01-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #865
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
Just wonderful Stan!
Why thank you! I really am enjoying the whole process - this is something that I had in my mind for almost a year to try in the winter.

While the frenzy of over 100 of the Common Repolls were here, our normal frenzy of American Goldfinches were pushed back into the trees. There were a couple brave soles who tried to get in to fight for position though.

And our poor Black-capped Chickadees - they are the most timid and will avoid either of the frenzy sessions. The Redpolls and Finches will hog all the feeders all day long. My wife has been trying some different things with a small feeder where the Chickadees can get some seed without the other "piggies" hogging up the feeders.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:23 AM.
01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #866
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

beautiful shots stan...i love the colors of the birds

here's a mockingbird with a tastey morsel...i added another after it ate it because i like the background colors

IMGA7694-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGA7710-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #867
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
beautiful shots stan...i love the colors of the birds

here's a mockingbird with a tastey morsel...i added another after it ate it because i like the background colors
Very nice - I agree the background colors and blur really make it stand out - and the bird is so sharp in both!

Funny that as the crow flies we are only ~300 miles apart but I've never seen a Mockingbird here.
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #868
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I would share these here as well as the over 300 club
These two are the same bird, it just flew to a different branch for the second one.

These two Harrier Hawks were a real treat but man do they have and erratic flight pattern looking for food over a field. It was hard to track handheld. A good picture of a Harrier has eluded me for a long time so I was happy to get these.

And then two more that are a little more normal. These finches(I think) were in one of the trees I ended up next to so I shot them real quick but it was so cold out that I couldn't justify staying since they weren't meat eaters.

01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #869
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Super, Stan and littledrawe!

Here's yet another juvenile red-tail:
01-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #870
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why thank you! I really am enjoying the whole process - this is something that I had in my mind for almost a year to try in the winter.
This and the previous post - just beautiful. They prove that you don't need brilliant colours like a rainbow lorikeet for great bird shots.

Richard.