Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 04:38 AM   #8701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A gathering of Maribou Storks- usually happens as they wait for thermal currents to rise.

05-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #8702
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Great Blue Heron in flight in the Cheyenne Bottoms
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #8703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom turkey courting one of several hens who were out foraging in this field. Very strong back light from the early morning sun made his tail glow, but otherwise it killed the colors of these birds.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-08-2019 at 02:54 AM.
05-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #8704
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-08-2019, 02:54 AM   #8705
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Of me I sing." Redwings can be very cooperative about posing conspicuously wheen singing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-08-2019, 03:29 AM   #8706
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was not surprised to see the Red-Winged Black Birds at Cheyenne Bottoms but I was surprised to see the large number of the larger more dominant Yellow-headed Blackbird Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus there

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-headed_Blackbird/overview

actually not surprising for them to be there but I never claimed to be a bird expert
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-08-2019, 04:19 AM   #8707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Turtle.
Within the range of most species there are "hot spots" where the density of individuals is much higher than elsewhere. Field guides such as the Peterson series give range maps, sometimes with "breeding," "winter," or "occasional" areas color coded, but these maps are really over-simplified out of necessity = not a criticism or shortfall of the books, rather a limitation imposed by the realities of publication, or in some cases available data.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-08-2019, 04:30 AM   #8708
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
. . . . Field guides such as the Peterson series give range maps, sometimes with "breeding," "winter," or "occasional" areas color coded, but these maps are really over-simplified out of necessity = not a criticism or shortfall of the books, rather a limitation imposed by the realities of publication, or in some cases available data.
I remember as a kid learning that with the Petersen guide book series on birds " Western " meant the Rocky Mountains and areas west of those geographic areas
05-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #8709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I remember as a kid learning that with the Petersen guide book series on birds " Western " meant the Rocky Mountains and areas west of those geographic areas
East vs West is sometimes taken as roughly along the Mississippi River, or a bit to the west of it. There is a significant ecological change along that zone just a little west of the river. To the east, there is generally a positive water balance = rainfall exceeds loss of water by evapotranspiration. To the west, there is generally a negative water balance. This causes many trickle-down consequences, for example, eastern soils tend to be acidic, western soils alkaline. The movement of water within soils - generally downward in the east, upward in the west - also changes soil structure. The pH & soil characteristics change the kinds of plants etc. etc. Once you get to the "far west" = basically along the Pacific coast, the situation changes, and always, as I used to warn students, there are pockets and microhabitats that are different or unique.
05-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #8710
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Warthog
05-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #8711
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

East vs West is sometimes taken as roughly along the Mississippi River, or a bit to the west of it. There is a significant ecological change along that zone just a little west of the river. To the east, there is generally a positive water balance = rainfall exceeds loss of water by evapotranspiration. To the west, there is generally a negative water balance. This causes many trickle-down consequences, for example, eastern soils tend to be acidic, western soils alkaline. The movement of water within soils - generally downward in the east, upward in the west - also changes soil structure. The pH & soil characteristics change the kinds of plants etc. etc. Once you get to the "far west" = basically along the Pacific coast, the situation changes, and always, as I used to warn students, there are pockets and microhabitats that are different or unique.
that is why I was surprised at the division made by Petersen

live and learn
05-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #8712
Pentaxian

not a bird I usually see around here. anyone know what it might be?
05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #8713
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taks Quote
not a bird I usually see around here. anyone know what it might be?

Looks like a (belted) kingfisher. They are raucous and have a characteristic way of flying (flap-flap-flap - glide - flap-flap- glide, flap-flap-flap-flap - glide, sometimes folding the wings during the glide) They commonly perch on a branch that overhangs a pond, or out on a snag in the pond, moderately high (10~15 feet) above the water

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.
05-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #8714
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taks Quote
not a bird I usually see around here. anyone know what it might be? . . .
Looks like a (belted) kingfisher
Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

Belted Kingfisher Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #8715
Pentaxian

Looks like a (belted) kingfisher. They are raucous and have a characteristic way of flying (flap-flap-flap - glide - flap-flap- glide, flap-flap-flap-flap - glide, sometimes folding the wings during the glide) They commonly perch on a branch that overhangs a pond, or out on a snag in the pond, moderately high (10~15 feet) above the water
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon
Thank you W and aslyfox for the quick response. I am noticing so many different birds since I started taking pictures of them couple of month ago