08-27-2019, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #9076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
unknown bird among thorns in the Seregeti
a shrike perhaps

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
Coucal, though the exact ID will be difficult. Of the 4 possibilities, one is excluded, the Black Coucal, since your specimen does not have the black Chest. The remaining 3 are the Senegal, Coppery tailed and Burchell's Coucal. Probably the Coppery tailed one should also be excluded, as there is no evidence for that in your specimen, though of course that could just be the way the light has rendered the bird's tail. That leaves the Burchell's and Senegal Coucal, and ID'ing this will depend largely on the size of the bird. My thinkinog is the Senegal Coucal, as it seems, to my eye at any rate, to be somewhat smaller than the specimens I have seen of the Burhell's Coucal. Also it's preferred habitat is tangled vegetation, though that is also applicable to the Burchell's. If you are wondering, all 4 mentioned Coucals occur South of the Sahara, as does the Green Coucal (Now that would be quite the sighting to have) and that covers the 5 Coucal listed. One minor confusing detail, some list a White browed Coucal, but still arive at 5 specimens, but it seems the consencus is that this is a variation of Burchell's Coucal, especially the young, that have a distinct white eyebrow.
OK, where do I send the bill

Here are few specimens I have photographed,
Kruger Park

Addo Elephant National Park

Pilansberg National Park

08-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #9077
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Coucals are almost as bad as "confusing fall warblers" here in the northeast. FYI in case you did not know, there are a score of warblers in New England, and when they are out of breeding plumage they are extremely difficult to identify. Even during breeding season some of the best birders identify by song. M had a colleague a @ the You've-a-Nursery who could instantly recognize the song of any/all the warblers and finches resident or accidental in MessyChewBits. I have a field guide devoted exclusively to eastern warblers with multiple paintings of each species in all the variations of plumage, juvenile to adult, male vs female, breeding vs non-breeding and sometimes 'tweenies.
08-27-2019, 03:56 AM   #9078
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks very much Noel

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
. . . OK, where do I send the bill. . .
to WPRESTO

QuoteQuote:
one is excluded, the Black Coucal, since your specimen does not have the black Chest.
not so fast, the non breeding plumage has no black chest

plate 98, Stevenson " Birds of East Africa "

Stevenson lists 6 in East Africa:

Black Coucal, Senegal Coucal, Coppery tailed Coucal, Burchell's Coucal, White-browed Coucal,and Blue-headed Coucal ( no Green Coucal )

I had discounted the coucals due to the black coloration around the eye not being long enough but both the non breeding black and the white-browed look very close

however the Senegal Coucal and Blue-headed Coucal are not in Tanzania, and only the Black Coucal and White-browed Coucal appear to be in the right area of Tanzania

I'm going with the White-browed Coucal

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-27-2019 at 04:33 AM.
08-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #9079
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good Morning WPRESTO. Yes, the same can be said of our Warblers, and weavers (in non-breeding plumage, and the pain of them all, the Cisticolas. Better to call them LBJ's. Little Brown jobbbies .

08-27-2019, 04:00 AM   #9080
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to WPRESTO
Talk about passing the buck
08-27-2019, 04:47 AM   #9081
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Talk about passing the buck
personally I would charge him more than a single $, that was a very detailed post
08-27-2019, 04:49 AM   #9082
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Mr Regal Himself
I really like the shading on the animal

08-27-2019, 06:05 AM   #9083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For such a nice comment, you get another one
08-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #9084
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you

here is one I from the first series I took of a Greater Kudu which I found in the Selous Game Reserve ( I didn't realize the species was there )

the first time I had ever seen one in the wild

I was familiar with the animal because of my training as an adult Scout Leader - Wood Badge ( Fox Patrol, believe it or not same as my dad who went through the training in the 60s )

QuoteQuote:
The Kudu horn has long been a symbol of Scouting and of Wood Badge. In fact, the Kudu Horn was used to summons the very first scouts at Brownsea Island in 1907 and in Wood Badge the Kudu Horn or a substitute is used in all U.S. Wood Badge Courses.

The true Kudu is a species of African antelope that is reddish gray to almost blue in color. It ranges from South Africa to Abyssinia. A Kudu bull stands almost five (5) feet high at the shoulder. Most beautiful are the magnificent spiral horns that cap the head. The Kudu has a remarkable sense of hearing, it has keen eyesight , keen sense of smell, and great speed. which makes it difficult to capture.

As a Colonel in Africa in 1896, the Kudu Horn was first identified by Lord Baden Powell, as he and his men were on a raid down the Shangani (SHAN-GAH-NEE) river, and were puzzled at how quickly alarm was spread among the Matabele warriors. They later found that the Matabele were using a War Horn of tremendous sound carrying power. A code existed, and as soon as the enemy was sighted the alarm would be sounded. This war horn, turned out to be the KUDU HORN.

It is strange that some eleven years later, in 1907, this Matabele war horn would be used to summons the very first Scouts at Brownsea Island. During the early years of the Scouting movement the Kudu Horn was silent.

The Kudu Horn resurfaced thirteen years later in 1920, when it was used in training courses. The original Kudu Horn is enshrined at Gilwell where it is sounded at the beginning of each course to summon the participants. The Horn that heralded the birth of scouting now summons Scouters from all parts of the world to do better than they have ever done before.
The Kudu Horn – Wood Badge

follow the link to hear it played
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-27-2019 at 06:50 AM.
08-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #9085
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lionesses
08-28-2019, 03:34 AM   #9086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ibis, Scan
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
08-28-2019, 05:02 AM   #9087
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Oxpeckers and their " transport vehicles "

part of a good size heard including calves

[ " Danger, Will Robinson, Danger " ]

in the Selous Game Reserve
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-28-2019, 05:05 AM   #9088
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Ibis, Scan
what type of lens ?

is it a mirror lens
08-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #9089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Klipspringer- Lit. Stone jumper or rock jumper
08-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #9090
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

what type of lens ?

is it a mirror lens
Not a mirror lens. Only had one of those (Pentax 1000mm f11) and never obtained a single "keeper." Since it is a scan, there's no certain way to know, but probably taken with a Sigma 300mm f4 APO Macro as that was the long lens I was using toward the end of the Film Era.