Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6759 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #1021
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not that hard, I do it without CIF, but a good viewfinder magnifier helps a lot

03-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #1022
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hippopotamuses, umm, hippopotami? Damn, where's @WPRESTO when you need him?

03-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #1023
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hippos? Did someone mention my name in connection with hippos??

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-29-2014 at 04:22 AM.
03-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #1024
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Hippos? Did someone mention my name in connection with hippos??
That photo & caption actually made me LOL ! Great shots guys.

03-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #1025
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hippopotamuses
Fun shot--I tried at first to figure out what kind of ducks those were.
Maybe I should try to get in the habit of reading text first (but life's more fun this way. ;~)
03-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #1026
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

To avoid confusing @dadipentak: Those in the front are ducks, the ones in the back are not

Not sure why those ducks are called Egyptian geese since ducks they are. And they are more common south of Egypt than they are in Egypt, really.

03-31-2014, 01:18 AM   #1027
Veteran Member

but do they taste good?

03-31-2014, 01:48 AM   #1028
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wayne james Quote
but do they taste good?
The big ones or the small ones?
03-31-2014, 03:27 AM   #1029
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To avoid confusing @dadipentak: Those in the front are ducks, the ones in the back are not

Not sure why those ducks are called Egyptian geese since ducks they are. And they are more common south of Egypt than they are in Egypt, really.
Here's an EGYPTIAN GOOSE, and FYI: They are so called because of the dark eye ring, reminiscent of the black ring ancient Egyptians routinely painted around each eye. Not sure about "goose" versus "duck." I'll see if I can find something.

03-31-2014, 03:35 AM   #1030
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another hippo showing off its lovely teeth. I had a fantasy thought that this fellow was trying his luck as a filter feeder, like a whale swimming through krill, seeing what he could scoop off the surface of the hippo pool. Maybe some of those Egyptian geese??

03-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #1031
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's an EGYPTIAN GOOSE, and FYI: They are so called because of the dark eye ring, reminiscent of the black ring ancient Egyptians routinely painted around each eye. Not sure about "goose" versus "duck." I'll see if I can find something.
I would think it's simply that they look as much like geese as they do ducks - and even more goosy in flight. But I'm no ornithologist.

But yes, the "Egyptian make-up" is what I have been told is the reason for the first part of their name. (A guide we had in Zambia claimed, while pointing them out to us, it was also because they were to be found only in Egypt )

Here's another hippo showing off its lovely teeth. I had a fantasy thought that this fellow was trying his luck as a filter feeder, like a whale swimming through krill, seeing what he could scoop off the surface of the hippo pool. Maybe some of those Egyptian geese??
03-31-2014, 03:55 AM   #1032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think it's simply that they look as much like geese as they do ducks - and even more goosy in flight. But I'm no ornithologist.

But yes, the "Egyptian make-up" is what I have been told is the reason for the first part of their name. (A guide we had in Zambia claimed, while pointing them out to us, it was also because they were to be found only in Egypt )

Some "common knowledge" about animals is inscrutable in its logic and untraceable as to origin. I am always amused/exasperated by some of what is said about the features of purebred dogs, using tails as rudders or ears to "scoop up" odors. As a scientist I reflexively wonder: suppose we pit a tailless dog against a Labrador with a "rudder tail;" would the former be less able to control its direction when swimming? Suppose we use a clothespin to clip the ears of four bloodhounds above their heads then pit them against four hounds with their ears down; would the latter actually track faster or more accurately?
I suspect that most if not all of the common names applied to African wildlife have been coined by Europeans, and only rarely are based on what local people originally called the animals (exception: something like "honey guide?"). It's likely, therefore, that the people who devised "Egyptian goose" were familiar with the classic eye make-up of the pharaohs, so that explanation of the name seems reasonable to me.
03-31-2014, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #1033
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Some "common knowledge" about animals is inscrutable in its logic and untraceable as to origin. I am always amused/exasperated by some of what is said about the features of purebred dogs, using tails as rudders or ears to "scoop up" odors. As a scientist I reflexively wonder: suppose we pit a tailless dog against a Labrador with a "rudder tail;" would the former be less able to control its direction when swimming? Suppose we use a clothespin to clip the ears of four bloodhounds above their heads then pit them against four hounds with their ears down; would the latter actually track faster or more accurately?
I suspect that most if not all of the common names applied to African wildlife have been coined by Europeans, and only rarely are based on what local people originally called the animals (exception: something like "honey guide?"). It's likely, therefore, that the people who devised "Egyptian goose" were familiar with the classic eye make-up of the pharaohs, so that explanation of the name seems reasonable to me.
Ah, yes, lots of "common knowledge" being spread around (although the guide I mentioned above did say that as a joke, waiting to see if we got it...). When going on more budget safaris earlier I was told all sorts of "truths" - the cheetah being a dog being one!

This is no dog, though.

03-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #1034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes, lots of "common knowledge" being spread around (although the guide I mentioned above did say that as a joke, waiting to see if we got it...). When going on more budget safaris earlier I was told all sorts of "truths" - the cheetah being a dog being one!

This is no dog, though.
Lovely B&W savoche. Your PP work is consistently excellent.
03-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #1035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the slender, speedy cat.