Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6759 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #11371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of I think four grey herons on that field that evening, hunting for fat rats, and not stopping after having been succesful once...

Grey Heron with Fat Dinner

09-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #11372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of waterbuck bucks trying to one-up each other. They were pretty evenly matched so this tussle provided many images before one conceded the field.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
09-05-2021, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #11373

Photos: Gallery
09-05-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #11374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This warthog has lost or broken the tusk on its right side.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
09-06-2021, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #11375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Young bulls testing their strength
09-06-2021, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #11376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that is a wild sea lion. Several of them and several pelicans have learned they will get food if they visit this tourist boat when it sets out. BTW: the man is our tour guide, probably capturing a BIF.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
09-06-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #11377
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes, that is a wild sea lion. Several of them and several pelicans have learned they will get food if they visit this tourist boat when it sets out. BTW: the man is our tour guide, probably capturing a BIF.
Just one little (negative, but not personal) aside: Feeding large predators to hang around humans rarely works out well for the large predators. Over any longer period of time, they tend to end up dead.

I have taken close-up pics of seals on a number of occasions, but would never, ever feed them to get them to hang around human-occupied spaces.

Plus...cleaning up seal shit from a herring/mackerel/capelin/squid diet off you deck, or, worse (trust me on this!), out of your dingy, is a rather thankless task...even when they are feeding for themselves.

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-06-2021 at 07:38 AM.
09-06-2021, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #11378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Just one little (negative, but not personal) aside: Feeding large predators to hang around humans rarely works out well for the large predators. Over any longer period of time, they tend to end up dead.

I have taken close-up pics of seals on a number of occasions, but would never, ever feed them to get them to hang around human-occupied spaces.

Plus...cleaning up seal shit from a herring/mackerel/capelin/squid diet off you deck, or, worse (trust me on this!), out of your dingy, is a rather thankless task...even when they are feeding for themselves.
FYI: The picture was taken during a tour of Africa, the boat was out of a port in Namibia. That's far from US laws and attitudes about feeding wild animals. Doesn't mean I approve, because I certainly don't, but I was hardly in a position to end the practice there and then.

The first picture below are the pelicans in front of the boat owner, the second is a sea lion among we tourists and in the process of swallowing a fish. The lady in the back at the far right who is looking a little grumpy. I did not talk to her but I don't think that she approved. She is deeply involved with a donkey rescue program out in the southwest.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
09-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #11379
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: The picture was taken during a tour of Africa, the boat was out of a port in Namibia. That's far from US laws and attitudes about feeding wild animals. Doesn't mean I approve, because I certainly don't, but I was hardly in a position to end the practice there and then.

The first picture below are the pelicans in front of the boat owner, the second is a sea lion among we tourists and in the process of swallowing a fish. The lady in the back at the far right who is looking a little grumpy. I did not talk to her but I don't think that she approved. She is deeply involved with a donkey rescue program out in the southwest.
Very sorry if you took it all all personally. Nor was I speaking about laws. I was speaking about what happens when large predators get too comfortable around humans and learn to _expect_ food rewards. They tend to end up dead at some point in these interactions.
09-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #11380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Very sorry if you took it all all personally. Nor was I speaking about laws. I was speaking about what happens when large predators get too comfortable around humans and learn to _expect_ food rewards. They tend to end up dead at some point in these interactions.

I did not take it personally, and I'm all with you. Feeding wild animals, with the possible exception of backyard birds and butterflies, is dangerous for animals & sometimes humans. Sorry if I sounded testy or defensive in my response. I was trying to be informative. Too many people had a Disneyesque idea of what wild creatures are like, I was exchanging some thoughts about that with a PF member who knows someone who keeps a pet hyena, which I find alarming. Just recently animal services removed a well-grown (about 80 pounds) mountain lion (cougar, catamount, etc) from a home in the BRONX NY!!! It was about 11 months old and had already gotten too big, strong and aggressive to be handled. I would ask "how stupid can people be?" but I know there are no limits.

Pet cougar found living in NYC home
09-06-2021, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #11381
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

bison in Yellowstone National Park mid May 2018

ice in the lake, snow on the mountains
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-06-2021, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #11382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More duelling Elephants
09-06-2021, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #11383
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The gulls at this place and time all seemed to be headed away instead of toward me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
09-08-2021, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #11384
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Squawk!
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr