Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6759 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #11971
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
We've been seeing a very few red efts since early May. This was the first time I had a camera along to get a picture.
How interesting...unfamiliar with "red efts", I had to look it up...juvenile eastern newts. That particular species doesn't hang out this far south. TFS!

05-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #11972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coucal
05-21-2022, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #11973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flicker photographed during our walk yesterday. Deep crop from an image taken with a Sony RX10MkIV @ 600mm The one inch sensor and megazoom do OK.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
05-21-2022, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #11974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black Shouldered Kite

05-22-2022, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #11975
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Rhino in Etosha. They are being poached for their horns and Nature Conservation are running a de-horning program to make them less attractive to poachers. It works, but is obviously time consuming, expensive and leads to stress in these animals. And, like this one, the horns grow back
05-22-2022, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #11976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monkey imitation of Spiderman
05-22-2022, 04:59 AM   #11977
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Monkey imitation of Spiderman
So, you still have active drive-in outdoor movie theaters in SA? There is one just north of us that is popular both for the nostalgia and for the movies (= new releases just out of showing in conventional theaters). Commonly they offer a double feature. Audio comes through a radio channel.

05-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #11978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah, this one was in Kruger of all places. Currently only 2 of those operative in Greater Johannesburg Area, one being a rooftop parking lot. The other has been around for decades, and I've only been there twice, to watch 2 parts of LTOR. Still going strong. Anyway, that imitation of Spiderman was weak, and no chance of scaling any high rise buildings due to their absence from the scene
05-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #11979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Audio comes through a radio channel.
So, one has to keep the car running in order to have the radio? Or bring a battery-operated radio? Strange. But audio quality is probably better than the old heavy metal thingy-on-a-post. Like most communities, we used to have more than a few drive-in theaters. I remember them well. Most are long gone, alas...I don't think there are any left. <sigh> Definitely part of growing up in that age!
05-22-2022, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #11980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
So, one has to keep the car running in order to have the radio? Or bring a battery-operated radio? Strange. But audio quality is probably better than the old heavy metal thingy-on-a-post. Like most communities, we used to have more than a few drive-in theaters. I remember them well. Most are long gone, alas...I don't think there are any left. <sigh> Definitely part of growing up in that age!
Two things:
1) at least in our cars there's a key position one detente from engine running where you can keep the radio going. Headlights off, electric windows will not operate, but the radio can be played. Current draw is minimal unless your battery is old;
2) There was a defunct drive in in Hadley, massive screen still standing although vines all over it, projection/snacks building rotting away; big billboard with "NOW PLAYING" in permanent bold letters, under which someone had inserted with the removable letters originally designed for the sign - - "field mice."
05-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #11981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what some people will do at Drive-ins
05-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #11982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two things:
1) at least in our cars there's a key position one detente from engine running where you can keep the radio going. Headlights off, electric windows will not operate, but the radio can be played. Current draw is minimal unless your battery is old;
2) There was a defunct drive in in Hadley, massive screen still standing although vines all over it, projection/snacks building rotting away; big billboard with "NOW PLAYING" in permanent bold letters, under which someone had inserted with the removable letters originally designed for the sign - - "field mice."
Ah. Not in my old clunker...if I turn the key to that position, idiot lights immediately warn me of battery drain.
That's a fun landmark...alas, most of ours are long gone, torn down, built or paved over. There were two in the neighborhood (more or less), one's a car dealership, the other is under a shopping center. The closer one (Hondas now) was very close to the railroad tracks (two different rail lines* very close to each other), so the movie was sometimes interrupted.
*Florida East Coast (FEC) and Seaboard Coast Line (SCL), big rivals, occasional inter-company shenanigans. FEC still operates regionally but the track in southern Miami is no longer used. SCL merged with Chessie and still operates, including huge-mongous "rock" trains out of the limestone quarries on the edge of the Everglades.
05-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #11983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Ah. Not in my old clunker...if I turn the key to that position, idiot lights immediately warn me of battery drain.
That's a fun landmark...alas, most of ours are long gone, torn down, built or paved over. There were two in the neighborhood (more or less), one's a car dealership, the other is under a shopping center. The closer one (Hondas now) was very close to the railroad tracks (two different rail lines* very close to each other), so the movie was sometimes interrupted.
*Florida East Coast (FEC) and Seaboard Coast Line (SCL), big rivals, occasional inter-company shenanigans. FEC still operates regionally but the track in southern Miami is no longer used. SCL merged with Chessie and still operates, including huge-mongous "rock" trains out of the limestone quarries on the edge of the Everglades.

The old drive-in-with-your-sweetheart theater that had the amusing sign is long gone under something. If I remember the location correctly, it's covered by a Lowe's and the associated parking lot. It was a source of a chuckle every time we drove by during the early years after we moved here.
05-22-2022, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #11984
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Scarred hippo
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #11985
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oxpeckers cleaning up a hippo that also has some old scars.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo