Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ramseybuckeye - I don't get to shoot Kingbirds often either, maybe a dozen shots since I got the K-x last June. I was very surprised to see the one in the park, first time I've spotted one there. Usually I see them out by the lakes. The Vivitar did a pretty good job with that one I thought.

Also spotted another Scissor Tail Flycatcher here a few days ago, second one, and 100 miles out of its normal range. And missed a chance at a shot of a young eagle. Full size, but not old enough to develop the white head and tail (4 years for that). Got 3 shots, all out of focus...

I like your Northern Harrier shot, I've been trying to catch those all winter, they're gone back north now. Also called Marsh Hawk.

A couple more recent ones, also with the Vivitar 200mm M42

Red Bellied Woodpecker - I'm pretty sure it was feeding little ones. It would fly to this tree, go in for a couple of minutes, fly away and come back several minutes later. All I could get is a long distance shot, the hole is about 30 feet up a tree and my best vantage point was on the levee.

Click image to view larger size.

Cedar Waxwing - These were all over the place, several above and behind this one. Taken in Texas, near Lake Sam Rayburn last weekend.

Cardinal making good use of my mother's bird bath, you can see a Tufted Titmouse looking on. He got his chance a few minutes later.

Young Cardinal picking out a sunflower seed, also in my mother's yard. This one shot through the storm door window, the birdbath shot through another window.

04-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots Pete, I love that woodpecker shot, it's a real gem. Love the waxwings too, another good looking bird. On that Marsh Hawk I wasn't sure which name was more common to use. That's the only good shot I've got of one. I forgot that I did get a long distance OOF shot of one once, could tell by the white band on the back. Anyway the hawk was in a Marsh when I got the photo. I was in driving and had to pull over to get it, shot from the car window with about three or four throwaway shots.

These two were shot with a Takumar-F 70-200, I picked it up in an ebay lot, it's better than I expected:
Downy Woodpecker

Northern Cardinal

Broad Winged Hawk (backlit, so had to use some fill)
04-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #123
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom, I really like seeing that Tundra swan. Actually, I've never seen a live swan of any kind. So, thanks for sharing that one with me.

And I thought I'd post some of my wildlife I shot recently. Got the one below today.

Little Blue Heron:

Pigeon in flight. I was trying to sneak up on the two that were at a river park, but they both took flight and this is the only shot I got.

And a Green Heron, posted elsewhere on this forum:
04-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellow-Rumped Warbler

Great Green Heron!

I got me a Yellow-Rumped Warbler the other day. I'd like to have cropped this a bit more but it started to fall apart any smaller than this. I figure it's not too bad for the DA*300mm & 2x TC on a seriously overcast day though.

04-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #125
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Dave. That Warbler looks good too.

I'm looking for a TC too. What brand is yours?
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Have'nt much of chance to get out and shoot much of anything lately.Have to catch
up with everyday stuff after living with some critters for 3 months,all these great pics
gives me the 'itch' even more.For what its worth Barn swallows showed up yesterday,
seen a wind blown monarch 'blow' by today.Neo-tropical migrant traffic up
mississippi river flyway really starting to ramp up..."Lets get em"
04-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

When I shot that Little Blue today, there were two Egrets, a white Ibis, a Green Heron and a Great Egret all in the same small pond. Oh and a mama mallard and babies.

04-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Tom, I really like seeing that Tundra swan. Actually, I've never seen a live swan of any kind. So, thanks for sharing that one with me.
Mar, that's my first sighting of Tundra Swans, I was luck to see them "run down the water" to take off flying, beautiful! nice shot of the pigeon, but those heron are cool, I've never seen either of those two, good shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Great Green Heron!
I got me a Yellow-Rumped Warbler the other day. I'd like to have cropped this a bit more but it started to fall apart any smaller than this. I figure it's not too bad for the DA*300mm & 2x TC on a seriously overcast day though.
Very good, they are hard to get since they seem to like to hide in the branches. I saw one last week at Magee Marsh, but I couldn't get enough of it in the frame to tell what it was, it was jumping about quite a bit. I got a couple of shots of one last year, but would like to get a "crisper" shot than this:
04-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Saw this guy at Joshua Tree during an outing. He was OK on the rock until one or two more people came over, and he felt a little cornered, then ran off.

04-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm looking for a TC too. What brand is yours?
It's the Pentax A 2x-S. I'm a pretty strong believer in matching the TC & lens by brand.

Congratulations on the Lynx (?), SpecialK--a really rare opportunity!
04-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Barbary Macaque

Taken on Gibraltar last year with the DA 55-300mm.

04-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #132
Veteran Member

ramseybuckeye - My book says: Formerly called the Marsh Hawk, the harrier was renamed to coincide with European usage: the Eurasian race of this species is called the hen harrier. The name comes from the Old English hergian meaning to harass or harry by constant attacks. I usually see them sailing low over fields in search of groceries. Rats, mice, frogs, small snakes and occasional birds are on the menu, among other things, including insects.

I've been after the Yellow Rumped Warbler here too, they usually disappear too fast.

Love some of the great shots showing up here...
04-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #133
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a Yellow Rumped Warbler I shot last year: and haven't seen one this year.

04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Got this one yesterday also. It stayed in the position for about 15 minutes. I couldn't get any closer and now I'm looking to buy a TC for the extra reach.

04-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #135
Veteran Member

The main migration has not come through here yet.
Here's a few from both this spring and last.

Last edited by wildman; 04-26-2011 at 02:57 AM.