Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6747 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #5266
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
we saw oxpeckers, not only on hippos but also on Cape Buffalo and Giraffes while we were in Tanzania.

Lake Manyara National Park in Tanzania certainly lived up to its reputation for birds. Its various environment, some open grass land, lake, forest and marsh makes it ideal for the birds but also for the observers. It is not a very large park and is between an western escarpment a couple of thousand feet above and the lake on the east

This cropped photo features some yellow billed storks Mycteria ibis and Great White Pelicans Pelecanus onocrotalus sharing open water of a marshland

Yellow-billed stork videos, photos and facts - Mycteria ibis | ARKive

Great white pelican videos, photos and facts - Pelecanus onocrotalus | ARKive

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2017 at 05:09 AM.
02-11-2017, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #5267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magnificent Martial Eagle
02-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #5268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When they are perched high up, eagles always seem to be above it all (if you'll excuse the double entendre).
Years ago another photographer reprimanded me for "baiting" wildlife (I had set out some nuts for a red squirrel). It made me hesitant to use food to attract birds, until I got back home.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #5269
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When they are perched high up, eagles always seem to be above it all (if you'll excuse the double entendre).
Years ago another photographer reprimanded me for "baiting" wildlife (I had set out some nuts for a red squirrel). It made me hesitant to use food to attract birds, until I got back home.
I recently started that discussion about attracting squirrels for photography vs. "catching them on the fly" in the squirrel thread.

I wasn't making judgments just stating the obvious that some photos reflected the former method as opposed to the latter method

I did mention the problem of providing food and then perhaps not providing food.

It wasn't well received by some.

I wonder what an expert, if there is one, might say about providing "natural" food, food the animal would find on its own in the locale vs. other food (processed peanut butter, peanuts and apples seem popular)

---------- Post added 02-11-17 at 06:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
very nice, my image of that bird caught it on the ground molting

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2017 at 05:51 AM.
02-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #5270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "feed then starve" issue is significant, and there is the possibility of local creatures becoming dependent. But, the spot where the squirrel below is feeding got covered by 16 inches of snow in the space of 24 hours. It's not as if northern birds & all other wildlife do not normally experience feast to famine transitions, yet in general they survive.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #5271
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

The "feed then starve" issue is significant, and there is the possibility of local creatures becoming dependent. But, the spot where the squirrel below is feeding got covered by 16 inches of snow in the space of 24 hours. It's not as if northern birds & all other wildlife do not normally experience feast to famine transitions, yet in general they survive.
you are correct

as a kid I was told, not sure if it was true or not, that a fed wild animal could lose its ability or will to find food on its own and thus continued long term feeding was a problem. I was also told that if you fed a farm cat, you would ruin it as a mouser.

of course, in a similar vein, I never had a problem hunting white tail deer where the local farmer left some soy beans or corn standing in the area after harvest but I don't think it is right to use a mechanical feeding device timed to certain times of the day to attract the deer to a hunting blind.

"what time will the deer be here - 5:45 PM when the machine is scheduled to start spreading the grain"

please remember that my opinion and $ will buy coffee at the diner.

YMMV
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2017 at 06:05 AM.
02-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #5272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you are correct

as a kid I was told, not sure if it was true or not, that a fed wild animal could lose its ability or will to find food on its own and thus continued long term feeding was a problem. I was also told that if you fed a farm cat, you would ruin it as a mouser.

of course, in a similar vein, I never had a problem hunting white tail deer where the local farmer left some soy beans or corn standing in the area after harvest but I don't think it is right to use a mechanical feeding device timed to certain times of the day to attract the deer to a hunting blind.

"what time will the deer be here - 5:45 PM when the machine is scheduled to start spreading the grain"

please remember that my opinion and $ will buy coffee at the diner.

YMMV
Nothing will dissuade a young healthy cat from pouncing on a mouse or bird, just for the fun of it. The thing about auto-feeding deer attracting machines that manufacturers have not latched onto: remote firing rifles equipped with wireless TV monitors so that if the weather is bad, you can shoot the deer from the comfort of your living room.

02-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #5273
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing will dissuade a young healthy cat from pouncing on a mouse or bird, just for the fun of it. The thing about auto-feeding deer attracting machines that manufacturers have not latched onto: remote firing rifles equipped with wireless TV monitors so that if the weather is bad, you can shoot the deer from the comfort of your living room.
yes, cats kill for enjoyment as well as for need and training of the young

your idea of automation lacks some items:

you forgot -

automated retrieval of the carcass if anything is left, field dressing and transport to the locker of your choice for processing and then delivery to your front door.
02-11-2017, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #5274
Veteran Member

Grumeti river, Tanzania.

DA55-300, K3

02-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #5275
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

upon further reflection, I really like the "mimicry" of the bird and the short branch on the limb to its right.
02-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #5276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally, feeding wildlife is to be avoided, particularly from the dependency standpoint. My own philosophy is to feed only birds that occur naturally in my area, mostly sparrows/weavers/loeries and thrushes. Some birds naturally investigate urban areas, and even survive/thrive under the circumstances. Not 5 km from me are some Peregrine Falcons that reside in a building, and have been there for years- their food supply readily available in the form of doves and pigeons. So in some instances, creating "dependency" is minimal. In the Kruger Park, feeding of animals is forbidden, after a long history of incidents. Baboons and monkeys, for example, are prime examples of dependency and "know" there is a food source at picnic /rest camps, some even being daring enough to raid tents and chalets. Several birds display the same, with the Yellow billed Hornbill being quite adept at stealing food off your plate while you are not watching. The Honeybadger is notorious for raiding bins in several camps in Kruger. Partly all this is unavoidable, where humans congregate, but my view is that if we are careful not to leave any food laying around, that will go half way to solving the problem. On the other hand, many zoo animals thrive on food provided by humans, and some are so radically different from the natural diet, it makes me squirm. We do need to be careful and usually the best option is to avoid feeding wild animals, though I may well change that view should there be that much snow on my doorstep. Sometimes animals need "help".
This one needs no help
02-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #5277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kittens are hopelessly cute. They seem perpetually to be having so much fun playing with anything and everything available. Looks as though the lioness has an injury on her knee.
I did not have time to switch to a longer lens for these chukkars. A deep crop from the original, just deep enough to keep two of them in the frame.

Oops. Forgot to post the original uncropped version for comparison.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-11-2017 at 06:49 AM.
02-11-2017, 06:43 AM   #5278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quenching a thirst
02-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #5279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ibex with spectacular horns.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #5280
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Quenching a thirst
I too noticed the dark area on the leg

regarding Noel's comments about animals coming to human "trash" areas.

when I was a Scout leader we were always after the kids not to leave food in their tents. Raccoons and other animals would raid. we also warned about "mini bears" meaning chipmunks, squirrels, mice and rats. when the kids didn't look too concerned about "mini bears" I would remind them that where there are "mini bears" there could be their predators - snakes. that usually got their attention because we were in areas where (rarely) poisonous snakes could be found.

I never told them that the risk of snakes was very very small