Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6747 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #5296

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
speaking of a lioness

1 - any idea about dinner???

2 - that's what I think about that idea!!

we found these two busy attempting to make another generation if you catch my drift. these photos were taken when they were resting from their "exercise". This was in the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania
I saw these two having intercourse just one minute after this love scene, shot in Serengeti with HD-DA55-300 (the screwdriven version):

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 12:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Oooh, we have opened a can of worms here. Maybe Africa is different, we have so many wildlife places, with guys like Paul Kruger, who recognised the need to create a place where an ecosystem could remain in place, and animals can survive. What followed is Kruger Park, and a host of others, not just South Africa. I'd guess some sort of balance between spaces for wildlife and humans is a dream. We can but hope.
Tawny Eagle- and Intra-African migrant.
Well, there are very nice wildlife sanctuaries in Africa, but it is the place where the population grows faster than anywhere else, and also where there are several endless civil wars, like in Sudan, Rwanda, Somali and Congo. Which is not the best long term forecast for wildlife conservation

02-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #5297
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some more from this visit to the Topeka Zoological Park today with the K 3 and the "big guy" the HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

1. one of the two female orangutans (the aunt, not the mother of the 4 + year old male)

2 the father the big cheek pads is the give away

3 the little guy

[had a little more interference from the glass window on 2 and 3]

some time known as the Red Ape

http://www.tropical-rainforest-animals.com/orangutan.html
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-11-2017, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #5298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The exotic wildlife of my neighborhood. You have to be careful. I hear they are forming an army to take over the world.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-12-2017, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #5299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
Well, there are very nice wildlife sanctuaries in Africa, but it is the place where the population grows faster than anywhere else, and also where there are several endless civil wars, like in Sudan, Rwanda, Somali and Congo. Which is not the best long term forecast for wildlife conservation
True dat! Sickening to think that the hands of the Lowland Silverbacked Gorilla is used for ashtrays in Central Africa. Already there are struggles to keep existing reserves from human occupation. Still, we work and hope, and pray!

Another elegant antelope, a bit more rare when it comes to sighting it-its quick to duck and dive into thickets. Steenbok- Lit, stone buck

02-12-2017, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #5300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steely eye of a cold-hearted stealth and ambush predator.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #5301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello WPRESTO
02-12-2017, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #5302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now there's a face I would not like to see when I awake in bed. Good morning noelcmn, although morning is just about over here, and certainly for you. Snow expected to start in a few hours, possibly another 10 inches (~25cm) by the time it ends this hour tomorrow. Might be wet-heavy snow, a pain compared to 16 inches (~34cm) of fluff that fell on Thursday.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #5303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bradfields Hornbill, the only I have ever seen, and a rather disinterested shot, as I thought it was the common Yellow Billed Hornbill. I regretted that mistake. Silly me.
02-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #5304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You feel silly? Look how my aging shutter finger is slowing down. Soon I'll be reduced to snails for wildlife images. But isn't that a clever and lovely feeder?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #5305
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
. . . . Snow expected to start in a few hours, possibly another 10 inches (~25cm) by the time it ends this hour tomorrow. Might be wet-heavy snow, a pain compared to 16 inches (~34cm) of fluff that fell on Thursday.

careful Wpresto

continuous shoveling snow can be dangerous at any time , shoveling wet/heavy snow can certainly be dangerous in a very short time I'm not sure of the weight carried by a big scoop grain shovel but it is a substantial amount of weight to move around manually.

I still remember, when I was a Junior in High School, living at the end of a narrow long two lane street, having just finished shoveling out a two + lane wide, long driveway, and watching the snow plow approaching knowing what was to come.

Sure enough, instead of trying to push the piled up snow off the end of the road through a wire fence into the corn field the driver grinned and turned into the drive way and pushed it all back into our family drive way.

this was after a mid west blizzard had dropped 10 + inches of wet heavy snow and then blown it into drifts.

[For those who may not know, a blizzard isn't just a large amount of snow, it is the high winds + snow. a relatively small snow fall (less than 4 - 5 inches) + wind can create 10 feet or higher drifts which you could did tunnels into and the drifts might support a vehicle or two if you could get up onto it.

in the mid west, we didn't get massive amounts of snow fall 10 - 15 inches might be possible but rare, but we did get the wind + snow blizzard conditions a few times a year.

The terrain didn't change in elevation much up for down for miles and there were no natural wind breaks.]

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 08:01 ----------

You feel silly? Look how my aging shutter finger is slowing down. Soon I'll be reduced to snails for wildlife images. But isn't that a clever and lovely feeder?
try using molasses as an attractant, may be it will slow the bird down???

What is the origin of the expression 'as slow as molasses in January'? - Quora
02-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #5306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We might get near blizzard conditions here for a while, winds expected to get to maybe 40mph and snowfall rates over an inch an hour. Worse east of us along the coast, closer to the center of this developing nor'easter. Winds on Cape Cod expected gust to 60mph or more = just sub-hurricane force. Coastal down-east Maine is expected to get clobbered with 14 inches of snow and steady winds of 50 to 60mph. With a near-full Moon, there may be coastal flooding as well when the tides are high.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 09:10 AM ----------

try using molasses as an attractant, may be it will slow the bird down???
Or mix some bird shot into the seeds.
02-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #5307
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

We might get near blizzard conditions here for a while, winds expected to get to maybe 40mph and snowfall rates over an inch an hour. Worse east of us along the coast, closer to the center of this developing nor'easter. Winds on Cape Cod expected gust to 60mph or more = just sub-hurricane force. Coastal down-east Maine is expected to get clobbered with 14 inches of snow and steady winds of 50 to 60mph. With a near-full Moon, there may be coastal flooding as well when the tides are high.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 09:10 AM ----------

. . . .
?? I can't remember for sure but I don't think that here in the mid west, we ever worry about the tides ??

hunker down with a good book and/or old photos and wait it out

no need to go out - DON"T
02-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #5308
Pentaxian

I get a lot of tree branches with no birds on them these days. We could start a thread, " Images where the subject moved before your reflexes let you trigger the shutter." Nothing about being older bothers me more than how much my reflexes have slowed down.
02-12-2017, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #5309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I soooo appreciate that you blame your finger and not the camera

Parent and almost full grown Heron.
02-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #5310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

no need to go out - DON"T
We have a large driveway, wide at the inner end = two garage doors + a passage door from the mud room, all at basement level below the house. There it is below grade with four to five foot retaining walls each side, and large bushes along the top. With your back against garage or mud room doors, it is physically impossible to throw snow off the driveway with a shovel. It must be thrown down the length of the driveway, past the bushes, then shoveled a second time off to the side. The winter of 95-96 my Mother was dying of cancer, staying in her home with hospice people coming regularly, and we had at least four to eight inches of snow at about seven to eight day intervals, time after time, week after week. I had to shovel our place (with M's help) then go and shovel hers (smaller, far easier driveway, but no cakewalk). I told M that the following Christmas ('96) she was giving me a snowblower or I'd go buy one before New Year's day '97. She did, but that machine gave up during the record snowfall of 2014-15. I got a new, bigger, more powerful Ariens. It is a beast, more tiring to use than the old machine, but so far it has been undaunted by anything that has fallen. The 16 inches of snow on Thursday was a cakewalk for the machine, although tiring for me.*

* The machine has an "auto steer" mechanism that is supposed to turn it easily, forward or backing up. Trouble is, the device wants to make turns all the time, and you have to fight it to stay in a straight line. Consequently my shoulders, and especially my hands get sore constantly pulling it this way and that to make it go where I want. MUCH more difficult to handle than the old, far cheaper blower. The auto-steer IMHO is either serious flowed, or a solution in search of a problem. But the new blower will throw snow clear off the driveway even from up against the garage doors, and so far it seems almost immune to chute-clogging.