Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6745 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #11026
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A strange animal corpse was found somewhere in SA (too long ago for me to remember specifics) that locals said was undoubtedly a chupacabra. Turned over for analysis by deeply knowledgeable scientists for anatomical and DNA analysis. Town gathered to hear results. "Without doubt, a stray dog suffering from severe mange." The townspeople attacked the scientists and had to be restrained by police. Note my sign off. The numbers are frightening, even in the USA.

Note the evidence of a mythical beast wandering locally, post #34398, currently the very last post on the "I Spy" thread.

And I forgot to list the eastern cottontail rabbits that sometimes destroy flowers and awaken Dahlia's scientific curiosity. She wants to open one to see what makes it go.

AND a male catbird.
Indeed, periodically there's some localized kerfluffle about a chupacabra killing domestic animals, almost always turns out to be a big dog. A coyote was the main suspect once, but never confirmed as far as I know. And, sadly, from time to time the culprit turns out to be two-legged, slaughtering horses <!> for meat.

Interesting catbird...the ones I've seen here (not in a long time) are colored differently, overall slate gray with a black "cap" on the top of the head. Yours is quite a handsome creature!

05-23-2021, 05:59 AM   #11027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Indeed, periodically there's some localized kerfluffle about a chupacabra killing domestic animals, almost always turns out to be a big dog. A coyote was the main suspect once, but never confirmed as far as I know. And, sadly, from time to time the culprit turns out to be two-legged, slaughtering horses <!> for meat.

Interesting catbird...the ones I've seen here (not in a long time) are colored differently, overall slate gray with a black "cap" on the top of the head. Yours is quite a handsome creature!

OOPS! mis-typed. That's a male COW bird. I'll go back and correct. We do also have the standard catbird here. They come to our feeder & birdbath.

And FYI I have three problems when typing these comments for a post: 1) I'm a clumsy typist, two left hands and both are all thumbs* 2) I am a creative speller - took remedial standard spelling in grade school, but they failed, dismally; 3) I am an incompetent proofreader. My brain knows what I intended to type so my eyes fail to see misteaks (rare or well done).

* and for gardening, all ten thumbs are brown, not a trace of green.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-23-2021 at 06:06 AM.
05-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #11028
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OOPS! mis-typed. That's a male COW bird. I'll go back and correct. We do also have the standard catbird here. They come to our feeder & birdbath.

And FYI I have three problems when typing these comments for a post: 1) I'm a clumsy typist, two left hands and both are all thumbs* 2) I am a creative speller - took remedial standard spelling in grade school, but they failed, dismally; 3) I am an incompetent proofreader. My brain knows what I intended to type so my eyes fail to see misteaks (rare or well done).

* and for gardening, all ten thumbs are brown, not a trace of green.
Ah, no worries. My claim to typo infamy is blaming the horrid keyboard on this laptop...it refuses to rearrange keys to locations where my fingers want them to be.

Regarding proofreading, during years of hard time as an ad agency production manager, one law remained firm: for projects that had had too many hands and eyes on them, final proofreading was always assigned to a team that had never seen the project before. Those too familiar with it would never see their own errors, the brain becomes conditioned.
05-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #11029
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Ah, no worries. My claim to typo infamy is blaming the horrid keyboard on this laptop...it refuses to rearrange keys to locations where my fingers want them to be.

Regarding proofreading, during years of hard time as an ad agency production manager, one law remained firm: for projects that had had too many hands and eyes on them, final proofreading was always assigned to a team that had never seen the project before. Those too familiar with it would never see their own errors, the brain becomes conditioned.
Somewhat similar. When M received galleys for a scientific paper to be published, I would sit and read the original MS while she read through the galley. Laborious. I would sometimes make an error reading the galleys and M would catch me. M is far smarter and half a galaxy more accurate than I. After marriage I never needed a dictionary, I'd just shout "How do you spell - - - - " She's was and is never wrong.

05-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #11030
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhat similar. When M received galleys for a scientific paper to be published, I would sit and read the original MS while she read through the galley. Laborious. I would sometimes make an error reading the galleys and M would catch me. M is far smarter and half a galaxy more accurate than I. After marriage I never needed a dictionary, I'd just shout "How do you spell - - - - " She's was and is never wrong.
I am an excellent speller, a so-so typist...thus 99.99% of my errors can be blamed on my fingers...I know how to spell it, I just mis-typed it.
05-23-2021, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #11031
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great blue heron that is almost camouflaged in the uncroped image, easier to spot after cropping. Also a plump little chipping sparrow on a branch rather than foraging on the ground where I usually see them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
05-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #11032
Veteran Member

New Arrival on Assateague Island.

05-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #11033
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-24-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #11034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom turkey showing off his fan tail, coming and going.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
05-24-2021, 03:28 PM   #11035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom turkey showing off his fan tail, coming and going.
Beautifully captured Walt. Any chance he may deserve one of your Presidential Pardons? )

Thnx for sharing, friend.

tt
05-24-2021, 05:47 PM   #11036
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautifully captured Walt. Any chance he may deserve one of your Presidential Pardons? )

Thnx for sharing, friend. tt

Insofar as the turkey is in Quabbin Park, a protected area where dogs, firearms, and hunting are forbidden, that turkey and many others are theoretically safe. BUT, there are always some guys with guns who are not deterred by mere laws.
05-26-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #11037
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Curious Swift Parrot
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
05-26-2021, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #11038
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flicker. I posted a different image from a batch taken on this occasion.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
05-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #11039
Loyal Site Supporter

NOT AVIAN! Has no business at my bird feeder.
Early summer before berries/etc. is PRECISELY when bears think bird feeders are a great place to dine out!

Note the bear still is rather thinnish.
05-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #11040
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Insofar as the turkey is in Quabbin Park, a protected area where dogs, firearms, and hunting are forbidden, that turkey and many others are theoretically safe. BUT, there are always some guys with guns who are not deterred by mere laws.

Quite true. People with guns with the bonus of being empty headed.

tt