Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Challenge #39: WINNERS

Ok. I wanted a ‘wow-factor,’ although I didn’t have anything necessarily in mind. I was looking for something that made the photo better/more interesting, be it contrast, effect, or even just realism…

So that’s where I was coming from in the judging process. This could’ve gone a few different ways, just depending on how I was thinking… Take my comments and preferences as you will—Please don’t hold it against me!

Comments:

Tim (atupdate): You managed to make the photo very edgy while still creating an aged effect. I think the contrast works well here. It seems to solidify more intensely the dreariness of the day.

Lisa (
casil403): I really liked the red tree, myself, and had wanted to bring it out somehow. I wasn’t satisfied with my attempts, but I think you really emphasized it here. I also like how you linked the two points of interest that you created.

SpecialK
: The colors are certainly rich! There’s a great contrast created between the color and the headstones.

Joe (
jmschrei): The contrast lends itself well to the color treatment you’ve used, as well as the centering. The antiquated effect really comes across. I feel like I’m staring at an old photo and reliving a distant memory.

Manel Brand
: You really were imagining things! The color treatment (brown/sepia and blue) is very good for what you’ve done with it. You’ve made a completely new photo. And the graph fits the mood you were going for.

erkie
: The effect you’ve created is somewhat dreamy, and coupling that with the current subject matter makes a very interesting photo. The glow of the whole scene makes me think this is someone’s memory or flashback. Interesting

ozlizard
: An almost abstract treatment as your eye travels from front to back. Intense mood as well. I (also, with disrespect intended) like the modification of the wording; however, I think it would be really good to have it centered in the stone(?).

Susan (
slowpez): Interesting perspective—close crop of the stone—I like it. I like the color as well. I think I would have liked to see a bit more around the edges—perhaps including just a little of the grass underneath. I like where you went with it.

Joe (
ajoe): Really wild with the negative treatment! I like the effect around the edges, too, as if the headstones were burned into the shot. Definitely a different approach!

JeffJS
: Something about this really caught my attention. You gave it a very natural—real—look, yet it still has a pop, somehow. It seems to me that the pop comes from the naturalness (ironic?). I think this brings the shot closer to what I ‘wanted’ to see that day (although the weather wasn’t cooperating).

John (
jheu02): That is a different approach. Content notwithstanding, it seems to work well with this kind of treatment. My eyes keep going back to the red tree, which looks really cool like this

landscaped1
: That is certainly a dark day at the cemetery. Perhaps this is what it would look like in the moonlight? And it took me a moment to see the Grim Reaper there—that’s ominous!

Barry (BlueBubbleBoy): I like your treatment. It almost seems desaturated, yet you still get the color from the flowers and grass. The mood is somber. Makes me think that this is someone’s loved one, and you’re taking a moment to remember.

basditz
: This seems to push it past level of dreariness than the day I shot it. Yet, this far in the other direction, it seems to work, too. The treatment here actually fits the subject, and is thus effective.

centino67
: I like the crop. It seems very effective. Good colors too. I’m not sure that the vignetting works for me in this way. Perhaps there’s something unsettling about one side of the tree being darker. I do like the brightness that comes from the headstones in this shot.

Nomad
: Good treatment with the colors. The contrast and saturation add to the pop, and I like the cropping. Hadn’t noticed before, but I think I like that crop much better than the original .

BigDave
: Definitely a warmer tone than the original. Nice crop and treatment on the tree. And the cloning is less distracting, for sure .

Ash
: Wow … I’m not sure what to say. That’s really different, but it’s really cool . Somehow it works—perhaps not as a natural shot, but hey! I like how you preserved the link between the headstone and the tree.

AND THE WINNERS:

3rd Place: erkie

2nd Place:
BlueBubbleBoy

1st Place (and #40 Host):
JeffJS

Great entries from everyone! Great job, Jeff! Something about yours just stuck in my head, so I pass the baton to you!

02-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to Jeff and BlueBubbleBoy ! And everyone who submitted entries ! Nice to see such a Varied response to the Photo. And thank you to Mike for the comments and for hosting this edition

Eric
02-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done Jeff, bluebubbleboy and erkie, all great jobs, as were all the entries! Look forward to the next challenge from Jeff.

Whoops almost forgot, thanks to mike for a great challenge and comments, well done!
02-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Mike, this was a fun challenge. You did catch the mood I was going for. I feel honored that you liked mine.
Well deserved 1st place for Jeff though! Very nicely done. Congrats to erkie as well!

02-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners and thanks to Mike for the work in putting all this together. Look forward to the next challenge Jeff.
02-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners, Erkie, Barry and Jeff. Also thanks to Mike for judging.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeS Quote
You really were imagining things!
I see you are a skeptical one... but you shouldn't underestimate the powers of the underworld Mike.
Should you find yourself in trouble after this incident, please PM me for advice, if you are into some DIY kind of solution.
Of course, you could always call your local Ghost-busters office for a more professional approach (but that will surely cost you far more than me).

Looking forward for the next challenge.

Best Regards.
02-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mike, great job judging. Congrats to all the winners. Loved seeing what everyone did with it. Jeff, that was one sweet job.

02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #8

Congrats to the winners! All well deserved.

-vin
02-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey- congrats to the winners and thanks for the positive comments Mike. With a sunrise/sunset theme attached to the image I figured it would need to go warm.

Looking forward to the next challenge!

So the winner gets the 12 - 250 2.8 Pentax Di, yes??? LOL :>

Regards,
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Hey- congrats to the winners and thanks for the positive comments Mike. With a sunrise/sunset theme attached to the image I figured it would need to go warm.

Looking forward to the next challenge!

So the winner gets the 12 - 250 2.8 Pentax Di, yes??? LOL :>

Regards,
drool

Thanks everybody and especially MikeS. I'll have the next one up in a day or so. Still trying to decide which one.

02-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good work Jeff! Looking forward to the next round!
Congrats to the runners up and thanks to MikeS for a fun challenge!

-Joe
02-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Thanks, Joe.

Here's #40.. Let's see what the post processing gurus can do with it. Have fun.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/13337...ml#post1388063