Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm all for flickr next time around plus a single thread here on pf. I, like Jeff will soon run out of space here.

03-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I think it's your tag line that's confusing people. ;^J

But seriously, let's ask Adam for a way out of this. Surely we can get notifications on the galleries? That would remove my need for a thread for my posts for the month, and would let me track who's posted what and where the conversations are happening in the gallery.

The one drawback with that plan though, is that people who don't have a paid account on PF might not have a lot of space. Anyway, I'll ping him and see what he says. Here's the request thread.
Galleries and the photo albums are two different things, right?
I saw Adams answer, but I seem to remember someone else already talked to him about it and he said it wasn't possible to have notifications in the albums besides the ones that are made on your own.

Maybe the idea Voytech's suggesting isn't that bad.
Lets make a group on Flickr and a single thread in the Game section of the forum. We can all post our daily submission there, everyone can see those, if they're joining or not and if anyone wants to see a whole album, they can always click on the link for Flickr that you can put in your signature.

And like I said before, on Flickr you can go to 200 pictures (viewable) if you have a free account, but you can still see them all for yourself, only the public can't.
03-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #213
Inactive Account

Hmm! Things are happening here! We seem to be diverging into 2 camps...those for sticking with the PF album thingy, and those for the newer thread method!

Personally, I favour the album, but I'm old school! I haven't had time to keep up with both this month, so I apologise to any to whom I have been remiss on so far.

I live in an area of the world where the internet is not as flash as elswhere (radio link, no optic fibre or such) , so while having access to a number of providers or other resources (say flikr or such) may not impinge on the physical capabilities of my humble laptop, it does lead to elongated download times (no more so than others), but another hinderance possibly.

But...having said all that, we are a group, been doin' this for a while, and likin' it! We should keep it going, stick together, and work out what to do next time 'round.

We've done some ordinary stuff now an' then, but by far most of what I've seen's been marvellous...bloody brilliant! Got some books to proove it!

Cheers...my 2 bob's worth...Paddy
03-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Galleries and the photo albums are two different things, right?
I hadn't realized that. This conversation is happening a bit too sporadically for me to keep everything together with everything I've got going on.

Maybe the idea Voytech's suggesting isn't that bad.
Lets make a group on Flickr and a single thread in the Game section of the forum.
Great. KarenH, if you'd like to create that group for next month, post it to this thread and I'll join (and reactivate my flickr Pro account, which finally expired last month after four years due to neglect).

QuoteOriginally posted by patolds Quote
But...having said all that, we are a group, been doin' this for a while, and likin' it! We should keep it going, stick together, and work out what to do next time 'round.
Agreed. I was under the impression that we'd agreed to go it the thread route this time and seem to have missed a trick there as well. I certainly haven't been visiting anybody's albums this month. The flickr/thread idea seems to be catching on. Frankly, it simply doesn't sound like PF is designed for what we've been attempting, here.

03-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #215
Veteran Member

If we are talking 1 thread that links back to each pic rather than 16 or 20 threads i'm cool with that. it will fast become the busiest thread on the forum lol. I've been trying to follow both albums and threads once i realized not everyone had a thread and vice versa it's been confusing to say the least sometimes i'll comment on the photo in the album others in the thread yet more in the flickr link sometimes.
03-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My $0.02 - though I have a flickr account, I find it cumbersome to post to PF from there...upload, opening the pic, selecting the size, copying the link, remembering to click on the photo icon in the PF thread, pasting the url into there and finally clicking ok. I also am just about at my 200 photo limit there anyway.

The PF albums link much easier to the threads, but I also won't be able to keep all the Single in... albums, they'll have to be deleted at some point for space. I thought that by re-upping my donation it would give me the extra space and "loyal site supporter" status, but it only gave me an additional year. I guess that's only if you re-up with a minimum of $150, which is a non starter.
I could probably make better use of the Gallery, but I like grouping my photos in my albums, not in general categories.

I think a single thread would get too long and awkward...just how many pages would it require for each day's photos and any comments from all participants? If you had to wait and upload, then all the days would be mixed up. Also, if you missed looking at the photos one day, the comments for one pic may be 3 or 4 pages away. Not very appealing to me to see a comment then have to hunt for the photo it relates to. So, the only way the thread idea works is if each participant has their own thread like is currently happening.

My vote is for the Albums only. I get notifications if anyone's commented in my album and I've simply bookmarked a search of the albums for Single in March and it brings up everyone's albums. Simple.
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So many people, so many opinions.

I'm having the feeling now (for myself) that I'm missing a lot because of the 2 things going on right now. I visit the group and I visit the album, thinking where did I already leave a comment? And I'm feeling (for myself again), that I'm not paying as many attention to the pictures as I did in November.

Maybe we could open 1 thread per day in the Game section. Just keep those ideas coming guys, it's a great thing to brainstorm about it. Like Paddy said, we're in it as a group and that's what I really like about it.

John, there's an easier way to post the Flickr picture in the PF, it goes like this.
You go to your picture on Flickr, open it and click on the Share this button. You choose: Grab the HTML/BBCode, choose the size you want from the picture and activate the BBCode button. Copy the text in the box, go to the PF and simply paste.
And again, Flickr lets you have more than 200 pictures, but only shows the last 200 if you've got a free account.

@Michael, I'll open a group tomorrow on Flickr and let you know when it's there.

Whatever we are going to choose, maybe having such a group on Flickr (if there aren't already any of them, but that would feel different I guess) would be nice anyway for other people, with or without a Pentax to join in.

03-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #218
Inactive Account

I'm watching where this is going and I'm already confused by it. I'll fly whichever way the group does. If it gets to cumbersome, I'll bail. I'm doing a crap job of keeping up with everyone anyway. I'll continue posting in the albums until I run out of space. I have to respectfully request however, that a Pentax Forums game or challenge of this type, remain open only to those using Pentax cameras, even if they have to recycle past challenge lenses. If it's a zoom, pick a FL and stick with it.

That's my 3¢

03-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Michael, I just made the group and did send you a Flickr mail.
@Jeff, I've made it Pentax only.
03-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John, there's an easier way to post the Flickr picture in the PF, it goes like this. You go to your picture on Flickr, open it and click on the Share this button. You choose: Grab the HTML/BBCode, choose the size you want from the picture and activate the BBCode button. Copy the text in the box, go to the PF and simply paste.
That's the exact procedure I stated, and for me, that's alot of extra work compared to doing it all on-site at PF.
03-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
That's the exact procedure I stated, and for me, that's alot of extra work compared to doing it all on-site at PF.
Okay, than I didn't understand it correct, sorry about that.
03-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, than I didn't understand it correct, sorry about that.

No problem. Don't get me wrong, it's nice we can link from other sites. My preferred method though for ease of use/posting is the self-containd PF Albums. Upload and post all from the same vs multiple sources.
03-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #223
Veteran Member

@Michael, I just made the group and did send you a Flickr mail.
@Jeff, I've made it Pentax only.
Saw that, thanks. Time to re-open my pro account, it seems!
03-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been following this discussion and have a quick question.
Why aren't the threads in the group the same as out here in the forum? If their was an attachment option in the group threads a person could just upload directly to their own thread from their computer bypassing the albums and any external site. It seems like that would be simple and no worries about space requirements. Technically not possible?
Just my thoughts, Bruce
03-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
I've been following this discussion and have a quick question.
Why aren't the threads in the group the same as out here in the forum? If their was an attachment option in the group threads a person could just upload directly to their own thread from their computer bypassing the albums and any external site. It seems like that would be simple and no worries about space requirements. Technically not possible?
Just my thoughts, Bruce
Good point! It should certainly be possible, I'd think. But the group threads seem to use an out-dated version of the site's code. You can't highlight text to quote it, you don't see the same info on the poster, etc. The social groups, I suspect, were mostly unused before I made those two groups. If you look at the groups home and sort by activity the monthly challenge groups are by far the busiest. I'll attach your comment to the thread I'm having with Adam in the suggestions area.